This thread currently has 6,410 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
April 28, 2019, 9:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
They always looked great when it rained or snowed.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
Madeleymariner
April 28, 2019, 9:39pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,052
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from RoboCod
There'll be a nostalgic twinge for me. Looking up at them for the last time as the teams come out, reminiscing about past glory, imagining the sights, the sounds that those old metal structures have witnessed....

But then Town will play shite and I'll just go home in a bad mood.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
promotion plaice
April 28, 2019, 9:41pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

The two games I remember the most under the the old floodlights was Town 2-1 Everton and Town 7-2 Darlington.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
promotion plaice
April 28, 2019, 9:51pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from promotion plaice

The two games I remember the most under the the old floodlights was Town 2-1 Everton and Town 7-2 Darlington.

The Fulham game wasn't too bad as well  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
lee65
April 28, 2019, 10:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
Tranmere this season, with the rain blowing across them...  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
Heisenberg
April 28, 2019, 10:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
I’m with Rancido on this, the whole floodlight nostalgia is a fuss over nothing. They’re not iconic at all, every ground has them. Blundell Park is a relic and needs replacing pronto. Onwards and upwards I reckon. I’ve been to hundreds of games a BP over the years, probably 50% of them awful, and I’ll not shed a tear when/if it’s gone. All I care about is the club surviving, and ultimately reaching its potential. It can’t do that at Blundell Park. I’ll not miss the floodlights as I’ve never really looked at them before!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
GYinScuntland
April 28, 2019, 10:58pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
The BP floodlights might not be iconic in themselves but were iconic to football grounds in general.
Since first going to away games in the early 70's nothing more filled us with a sense of expectation and excitement than our first glimpse of the tall floodlights as the train pulled into whatever town we were playing at.
I think the only time it bit us in the bottom was at Wigan when homing in on the ground, pub by pub using the floodlight pylons as a 70's sat nav we ended up at the illegitimate rugby ground instead of Springfield Park. Not the first or last to do that in Wigan by all accounts either.
To this day I still crane my neck for a glimpse of them when I know I am passing certain grounds.
Last year I was flying to Manchester Airport and the route took us over the coast just North of Ingoldmells, as clear as day you could see the shadow of one of the floodlight pylons across the top of the Main Stand, and that was from 30,000 feet up.
They are sadly few and far between now and sadly missed by myself.
LED's can fcuk right off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
Stadium
April 30, 2019, 8:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Heisenberg
I’m with Rancido on this, the whole floodlight nostalgia is a fuss over nothing. They’re not iconic at all, every ground has them. Blundell Park is a relic and needs replacing pronto. Onwards and upwards I reckon. I’ve been to hundreds of games a BP over the years, probably 50% of them awful, and I’ll not shed a tear when/if it’s gone. All I care about is the club surviving, and ultimately reaching its potential. It can’t do that at Blundell Park. I’ll not miss the floodlights as I’ve never really looked at them before!

Exactly this.
Floodlights iconic??
A new stadium is essential to the future of the club & all efforts should be made to ensure this.
Why worry about a set of pylons???

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
Stadium
April 30, 2019, 8:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from GYinScuntland
The BP floodlights might not be iconic in themselves but were iconic to football grounds in general.
Since first going to away games in the early 70's nothing more filled us with a sense of expectation and excitement than our first glimpse of the tall floodlights as the train pulled into whatever town we were playing at.
I think the only time it bit us in the bottom was at Wigan when homing in on the ground, pub by pub using the floodlight pylons as a 70's sat nav we ended up at the illegitimate rugby ground instead of Springfield Park. Not the first or last to do that in Wigan by all accounts either.
To this day I still crane my neck for a glimpse of them when I know I am passing certain grounds.
Last year I was flying to Manchester Airport and the route took us over the coast just North of Ingoldmells, as clear as day you could see the shadow of one of the floodlight pylons across the top of the Main Stand, and that was from 30,000 feet up.
They are sadly few and far between now and sadly missed by myself.
LED's can fcuk right off.

Didn't happen.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
Ruston AT
May 1, 2019, 7:54am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +431
Gold Stars: 10
Have the club indicated what they are going to provide regarding new floodlights. Please ,please,please GTFC don't give us lights similar to that bunch down the A180, they look like something bodge it and scarper built.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Last game at BP with the old floodlights

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.