This thread currently has 6,407 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
H19P1
April 28, 2019, 6:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
You never know, could they take them down in such a way that they could be refurbished and rebuilt at another location πŸ€”πŸ˜

Also, why don't the trust have a collection pot under each floodlight tower called, "turn on the lights" as an incentive and a bit of fun to getting them turned on at a certain time?

The money raised could go towards something worth while.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 40
RonMariner
April 28, 2019, 9:48am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,542
Gold Stars: 224
End of an era.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
rancido
April 28, 2019, 10:36am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
FFS they are just a set of lights that are well past their sell by date. Would you all get so emotional if they replaced the streetlights where you live if they had been around for 50 years. If some of you lot had been around when street gaslights were replaced with electric I bet you'd have been crying in your beer because " an era was over ".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 40
rancido
April 28, 2019, 10:38am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from H19P1
You never know, could they take them down in such a way that they could be refurbished and rebuilt at another location πŸ€”πŸ˜

Also, why don't the trust have a collection pot under each floodlight tower called, "turn on the lights" as an incentive and a bit of fun to getting them turned on at a certain time?

The money raised could go towards something worth while.

Something worthwhile -yes, a new ground to go with the new lights.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
arryarryarry
April 28, 2019, 2:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from rancido
FFS they are just a set of lights that are well past their sell by date. Would you all get so emotional if they replaced the streetlights where you live if they had been around for 50 years. If some of you lot had been around when street gaslights were replaced with electric I bet you'd have been crying in your beer because " an era was over ".

We had a street party when the council changed a bulb in one of our street lights.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 40
lew chaterleys lover
April 28, 2019, 2:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,660
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from rancido

Has anyone seen what they are going to be replaced with?

Lights are not just lights, they are an important part of stadium design. I imagine the new ones will be cheap as chips and make the ground a little less iconic.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
MuddyWaters
April 28, 2019, 2:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

Has anyone seen what they are going to be replaced with?

Lights are not just lights, they are an important part of stadium design. I imagine the new ones will be cheap as chips and make the ground a little less iconic.

Can’t have the product cheapened again surely ? πŸ€”πŸ€”
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 40
FishOutOfWater
April 28, 2019, 5:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from rancido

Call me a sentimental old fool but when I was little I lived on Lovett Street and from the upstairs bedroom window on a night when Town were playing I seem to recall what was a welcoming warmth in the glow cast from BP

Maybe they are just an antiquated structure now ( a bit like me ) but a few weeks back I was driving down Isaac's Hill and there on the horizon looking down Grimsby Road were those lights

It might not mean anything to some people but the old ground will always be etched in my memory and taking the lights down will be tinged with some sadness for me
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 40
immariner
April 28, 2019, 8:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
The floodlights are a large part of what gives Blundell Park its character (one of the few genuinely good things we have going for us). Obviously, they're past their best by date and have to be replaced but we'll likely go from having a excrement ground with lots of character, to having a excrement ground with a lot less character. If you're not slightly sad about the prospect of them going, then you're essentially made of stone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 40
RoboCod
April 28, 2019, 9:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
There'll be a nostalgic twinge for me. Looking up at them for the last time as the teams come out, reminiscing about past glory, imagining the sights, the sounds that those old metal structures have witnessed....

But then Town will play shite and I'll just go home in a bad mood.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Last game at BP with the old floodlights

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.