forza ivano
March 26, 2019, 9:05am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from rancido

If you call two seasons and then getting relegated " surviving " then you look at things a strange way. If memory serves me correctly they had two spells of two seasons in the Championship with subsequent relegations.

and where were we at the time?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
Maringer
March 26, 2019, 10:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,505
Gold Stars: 185
Scunny had the luck of finding consecutive strikers who scored a load of goals and were subsequently sold on for a big profit.

The fact that they managed to do this a few times over a few seasons was a remarkable success. Something they've failed to replicate since, of course, despite the fact that their owner has been chucking in money willy-nilly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
monkeyboy
March 26, 2019, 11:25am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Why did Ramsden get voted off if he was the money man and a fan? do his kids not follow town also?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
RichMariner
March 26, 2019, 12:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Almost every club is over-spending (or at least benefitting from directors injecting extra cash into the club).

In my eyes, a club that's run sustainably and sensibly is one that spends within its means and isn't reliant on the board to dig them out of a financial hole i.e. spend the money you get through gate receipts and sponsorship.

If every club did that then I'd expect us to have a top 6 budget in this division.

But we're not because plenty of clubs at our level have extra cash coming in from somewhere - maybe that's historical transfers, when they've been able to sell assets for good money. In which case, good luck to them.

But in most cases it's because there's a benefactor or a board that's willing to chuck cash at the team in the hope that they move up the league ladder and start tapping into the extra cash that comes their way through sponsorship and TV.

The trouble starts when those benefactors begin to demand that cash back. We're now in a position where Fenty has us on a pretty even keel, day-to-day, but any profits we make are being taken back by him to pay off the debt his debt that he created by making poor decisions over the last decade or so.

If we want a budget to compete for promotion next season, the board will need to invest more money than we get through gates and sponsorship - and this could increase our debt unless we actually win promotion.

I'm not sure I want to start gambling again with the future of this club, especially as we remain in the icy grip of Fenty and the current board.

I'd like to see how far Jolley can take us with a sensible budget and a focus on youth. If we can develop and sell the likes of Clifton and Wright on for big profits then that can help fund future promotion pushes, and we'd be less reliant on the board for cash that will just drive up our debt and make us even more unattractive as a club to purchase.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
Gaffer58
March 26, 2019, 3:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Although scunny had their 2 sessions in he championship I would assume they were losing money each time, Mr Swann has bankrolled the club, so I wonder what his nett spend is over that time. Now they are on he cusp of relegation all Mr Swanns money has basically just gone up in smoke to have them back where they were when he took over. Unless all his money are " benign loans"  he may be wondering if it was all worth it, in time and money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
rancido
March 26, 2019, 5:23pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from RichMariner
Almost every club is over-spending (or at least benefitting from directors injecting extra cash into the club).

In my eyes, a club that's run sustainably and sensibly is one that spends within its means and isn't reliant on the board to dig them out of a financial hole i.e. spend the money you get through gate receipts and sponsorship.

If every club did that then I'd expect us to have a top 6 budget in this division.

But we're not because plenty of clubs at our level have extra cash coming in from somewhere - maybe that's historical transfers, when they've been able to sell assets for good money. In which case, good luck to them.

But in most cases it's because there's a benefactor or a board that's willing to chuck cash at the team in the hope that they move up the league ladder and start tapping into the extra cash that comes their way through sponsorship and TV.

The trouble starts when those benefactors begin to demand that cash back. We're now in a position where Fenty has us on a pretty even keel, day-to-day, but any profits we make are being taken back by him to pay off the debt his debt that he created by making poor decisions over the last decade or so.

If we want a budget to compete for promotion next season, the board will need to invest more money than we get through gates and sponsorship - and this could increase our debt unless we actually win promotion.

I'm not sure I want to start gambling again with the future of this club, especially as we remain in the icy grip of Fenty and the current board.

I'd like to see how far Jolley can take us with a sensible budget and a focus on youth. If we can develop and sell the likes of Clifton and Wright on for big profits then that can help fund future promotion pushes, and we'd be less reliant on the board for cash that will just drive up our debt and make us even more unattractive as a club to purchase.

But wasn't the bulk of that debt incurred through paying of Ramsden and HMRC , both of which were nothing to do with how JF was running the club?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
lew chaterleys lover
March 26, 2019, 8:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Gaffer58
Although scunny had their 2 sessions in he championship I would assume they were losing money each time, Mr Swann has bankrolled the club, so I wonder what his nett spend is over that time. Now they are on he cusp of relegation all Mr Swanns money has basically just gone up in smoke to have them back where they were when he took over. Unless all his money are " benign loans"  he may be wondering if it was all worth it, in time and money.

I think he will view it as worth it. Great times in the championship, top end of league 1 - what is not to like? The football pendulum swings to and fro (fro in our case) but he has great memories and he can always call it a day when his dream dies - but at least he had a dream.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
KingstonMariner
March 26, 2019, 9:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

But wasn't the bulk of that debt incurred through paying of Ramsden and HMRC , both of which were nothing to do with how JF was running the club?

Taking just the non-League years the club's debt went up by £1.5m from £2.6 to £4.1m. I wonder how much the debt went up between JF paying off Ramsden/HMRC and when we got relegated.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Port Vale

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.