March 19, 2019, 10:15am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Tommy
Some harsh criticism of Ring on here.

I think he's good technically, got a good touch. Wants to pass the ball. The problem is in this system he doesn't have a winger ahead of him to pass to and link up with, he's on his own when he does make runs down the line.

Some saying he doesnt get forward quick enough when we're in possession and to give us width up the left hand side. I get that he's not particularly pacey. But he seems to have a decent enough engine on him to me. How quick do you really expect someone to get from basically a left back position in a back 5 when we're defending, to suddenly needing to be an attacking wide outlet within 2 seconds of us winning the ball?

The key thing with that is, we don't keep the ball well enough, or long enough with composed possession, to allow the wingbacks time to get up the pitch. Well, not lately anyway. On our last winning streak we played some better football that actually allowed one of the centre backs to overlap the wing-backs regularly to cause problems. But that's tailed off because we're not keeping the ball as well and because RHJ isn't in the back 3 now to do be able to do that.

Can't argue with that analysis but it begs the question why MJ persists in playing a system and players (Woolford and Collins) that asks too much of Ring. That said, he is also one of our many players who are too easily dominated physically. In one of these dead rubber games it might be worth trying Rose in front of Ring in a 442?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 53
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 19, 2019, 12:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Croxton

Can't argue with that analysis but it begs the question why MJ persists in playing a system and players (Woolford and Collins) that asks too much of Ring. That said, he is also one of our many players who are too easily dominated physically. In one of these dead rubber games it might be worth trying Rose in front of Ring in a 442?

If we are to try 4-4-2 as you suggest would personally prefer us to wait until Wright is available and let’s see how it works with a “proper” winger. I have reservations about putting square pegs into round holes when trying an alternative tactical approach otherwise chances of it being a success are greatly diminished.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 53
jamesgtfc
March 19, 2019, 12:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

If we are to try 4-4-2 as you suggest would personally prefer us to wait until Wright is available and let’s see how it works with a “proper” winger. I have reservations about putting square pegs into round holes when trying an alternative tactical approach otherwise chances of it being a success are greatly diminished.

Barring a disastrous start to next season, 3-5-2 is here to stay.

The teams that play it well usually have a defender joining each attack to offer further support out wide (RHJ).

There were numerous occasions on Saturday when Ring was wide open in space on the left wing but nobody chose to switch the play to him.

Collins has been a good player for us but his lack of pace forces us to play too deep. We could do with someone more athletic and able to offer attacking support down the left (Grayson).

A midfield 3 of Hess, Clifton and Whitehouse should have bundles of energy next season which will hopefully see us start to dominate the midfield more often.

Little and large partnerships up front have been tried and tested for years (Heskey and Owen, Crouch and Defoe) and I think we desperately need a target man up there. A real nuisance who mucks in with a few goals but more importantly links play and gets assists. Akheem Rose playing on the shoulder could really reap the benefits of such a partnership. Northampton were slow at the back on Saturday and Rose could have caused all sorts of havoc in the last 30 minutes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 53
KingstonMariner
March 19, 2019, 12:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Croxton

Probably because he intends to play that system and is getting players used to it, whilst he is waiting for the chance to bring in some new blood and shuffle the pack to fit the system.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Northampton thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.