RHJ, Dennis, Clifton, Whitmore, Vernham, Rose, Russell
Posted by: Bigdog, March 16, 2019, 2:32pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from AdamHaddock
                McKeown
Hendrie Davis Ohman Collins Ring
Embleton Hessenthaler Woolford
        Thomas Cook

Bench looks more appealing than the starting eleven..

Heart sank seeing Collins and Ring straight back in and Woolford instead of Clifton tbh..

So MJ says we played better at Tranmere than in previous games (apart from a crazy ten minutes) but reverts back to a team that had been poor for a few games. Can't work MJ out and his selections baffle me..
Posted by: AdamHaddock, March 16, 2019, 2:35pm; Reply: 2
Town to get 4 or more cards today is 13/2
Posted by: forza ivano, March 16, 2019, 2:37pm; Reply: 3
The overwhelming thought about our whole squad is the complete lack of pace. I also look at it and think did we really believe we'd get into the play off places? To my mind there's only really mckeown, hendrie, embleton, hessenthaler, thomas and possibly Clifton who could be said to be better than v.average div 2 players. Imho jolle y has done damn well to improve us so much with so little to work with, but there's an awful lot of new players needed to make us a top half team.  
Now that I've had my bit of pessimism we will probably go out there, play a blinder and spank them 3-0!
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 16, 2019, 2:39pm; Reply: 4

The wind is going to play a part today, I nearly got blown over just outside BP.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, March 16, 2019, 2:42pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from AdamHaddock
                McKeown
Hendrie Davis Ohman Collins Ring
Embleton Hessenthaler Woolford
        Thomas Cook

oh dear hope my pessimism isn't right.
Posted by: Bigdog, March 16, 2019, 2:48pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from forza ivano
The overwhelming thought about our whole squad is the complete lack of pace. I also look at it and think did we really believe we'd get into the play off places? To my mind there's only really mckeown, hendrie, embleton, hessenthaler, thomas and possibly Clifton who could be said to be better than v.average div 2 players. Imho jolle y has done damn well to improve us so much with so little to work with, but there's an awful lot of new players needed to make us a top half team.  
Now that I've had my bit of pessimism we will probably go out there, play a blinder and spank them 3-0!

Being positive, I think we've got at least another two or three, just don't feel team selections, formations, tactics and clear deficiences in one or two positions have unlocked the full potential of some (when selected) on the pitch..
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, March 16, 2019, 3:00pm; Reply: 7
Such a slow line up. No faith of getting a result today (obviously hope I'm wrong), shocked he change the side even after the result we played so much better at Tranmere then we have in the last 3 or 4 weeks.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, March 16, 2019, 3:13pm; Reply: 8
You can see tue gap between our strikers and midfield already. One got to drop deaper or push higher to help each other out
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, March 16, 2019, 3:49pm; Reply: 9
Only one way to describe that half zzz zzz zzz
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, March 16, 2019, 3:50pm; Reply: 10
Well weve conceded 4 goals less than last weeks first half
Posted by: forza ivano, March 16, 2019, 4:09pm; Reply: 11
Only one way to describe that half zzz zzz zzz

Good news for us then given we were 4 down this time on tuesday?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 16, 2019, 4:19pm; Reply: 12
This is garbage from both sides.
Posted by: TAGG, March 16, 2019, 4:26pm; Reply: 13
Can't we send Embelton and Ring back where they came from???
Posted by: Hagrid, March 16, 2019, 4:29pm; Reply: 14
Crap this. Dont think either side had a meaningful effort
Posted by: forza ivano, March 16, 2019, 4:30pm; Reply: 15
As they are top of the form league both overall n away and ee r on a rotten  run I will take that
Posted by: lee65, March 16, 2019, 4:31pm; Reply: 16
BBC Sport suggest 6 shots each, none on target
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, March 16, 2019, 4:44pm; Reply: 17
Could be on for our first 0-0 since october, match thread might not even make 5 pages  ;D
Posted by: forza ivano, March 16, 2019, 4:47pm; Reply: 18
Thank christ I chose a day of rugby at the winslow beer festival
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, March 16, 2019, 4:47pm; Reply: 19
At least Bogle scored against Scunny. Theres a positive from today.
Posted by: jimgtfc, March 16, 2019, 4:52pm; Reply: 20
Terrible game, decent point, roll on August
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, March 16, 2019, 4:56pm; Reply: 21
Thatll do, NEXT
Posted by: Madeleymariner, March 16, 2019, 5:00pm; Reply: 22
That was dross, still a point won, better than none
Posted by: hheh2, March 16, 2019, 5:02pm; Reply: 23
One point better than none
Posted by: ginnywings, March 16, 2019, 5:11pm; Reply: 24
Didn't go today- just didn't fancy it at all, and seems i made the right choice. Season fizzling out as per, and this must be the shortest match thread ever, which about sums things up.
Posted by: golfer, March 16, 2019, 5:44pm; Reply: 25
Thought we were supposed to give Jolly experience- he's giving us experience- Please play a different system
Posted by: Gaffer58, March 16, 2019, 5:50pm; Reply: 26
As we all agree that the season is basically over I think it would be of benefit to send Embleton back, if not possible than just have him on the bench, this is no slight on the lad but it's obvious he will not be here next season so let's start playing some that will be, either giving younger lads some game time or the older ones a chance to show what they can do.
Posted by: forza ivano, March 16, 2019, 6:01pm; Reply: 27
I've only watched the game at swindon recently but it seems to me that ring n hendrie are  natural full backs, they neither have the pace ability or imagination to be wing backs so why keep forcing square pegs into round holes?
Posted by: Mendonca1995, March 16, 2019, 6:03pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from forza ivano
I've only watched the game at swindon recently but it seems to me that ring n hendrie are  natural full backs, they neither have the pace ability or imagination to be wing backs so why keep forcing square pegs into round holes?

Agree with you about ring I think he’s more suited as a left back than a wing back but imo Hendrie has been very good for town since he’s been played there he’s up and down the pitch constantly and scored some importnant goals for us
Posted by: moosey_club, March 16, 2019, 6:05pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from forza ivano

Personally i think Hendrie has probably taken to this system better than most, definately gets forward and the right side is the only side we attack down nowadays.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 16, 2019, 7:04pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from TAGG
Can't we send Embelton and Ring back where they came from???

Embleton has gone off the boil which you might expect with a youngster and he’s also turned into a right greedy so and so.

Early days yet but my first impressions of Ring is that he’s not that good. Then again time may tell.
Posted by: golfer, March 16, 2019, 8:04pm; Reply: 31
I don't think anyone in the team is that good.
Posted by: Ipswin, March 16, 2019, 8:07pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Embleton has gone off the boil which you might expect with a youngster and he’s also turned into a right greedy so and so.

Early days yet but my first impressions of Ring is that he’s not that good. Then again time may tell.

Ring certainly seems to  be a long way behind his fellow countryman but it is early days.

As for Embleton I just don't see any point in continuing to pick him in fact he may as well go back to Sunderland now. We're going nowhere up or down and he could be useful on the bench at Sunderland as they appear to be play-off bound

Posted by: chaos33, March 16, 2019, 8:21pm; Reply: 33
What has Embleton actually produced in terms of goals and assists by being a regular starter at L2 level? His stats are not at all impressive. I know the general consensus is that he won't be here next season, but I really don't think he's produced enough, on a regular basis to have any future at Sunderland, whether they are L1 or championship.

I rate him, as I'm sure we all do, but his stats as a regular L2 starter are bang average, at best.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 16, 2019, 8:30pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Ipswin

Ring certainly seems to  be a long way behind his fellow countryman but it is early days.

As for Embleton I just don't see any point in continuing to pick him in fact he may as well go back to Sunderland now. We're going nowhere up or down and he could be useful on the bench at Sunderland as they appear to be play-off bound

I think Embleton keeps getting picked as Jolley wants to get a reputation for playing young loanees ........ apart from Joe Grayson that is 🤔

I do agree though we should be giving others a bit more game time.
Posted by: Maringer, March 16, 2019, 9:03pm; Reply: 35
Embleton was a bit better today than of late but I have to agree that he's not exactly looked like he's playing at a level beneath his ability. In his best games before Christmas, he looked a really good prospect but he's looked tired and sluggish since then. Much like Thomas, in fact!
Posted by: Bigdog, March 16, 2019, 10:02pm; Reply: 36
I just don't think that 3-5-2 suits the players at our disposal. We've been at our best with one up top. The best we've been in centre midfield is when we've played Hess and Clifton deeper with Embleton in a more advanced position. When was the last time we played them together regularly? Our best pairing at centre of defence was Davis and Whitmore, who blended together well as a partnership, after Collins (who had a decent game today) broke his arm and when he was banned in December. And we've had a lack of presence going forward or defending on the left. Thomas's body language wasn't great today, I don't think he's going to be here next season and Jolley will have an idea if he's going already. If so, why aren't we having a good look at Vernam, Dennis or A Rose? The opportunity to blood other players in competitive matches without consequences doesn't come around very often, MJ should treasure the next few games rather than trying to beat our points total from last year. It's a given anyway. At this stage the development of players who are going to be here next season must be far more important than trying to finish with 51, 54, 56 or 60 points. It's not like the players that are not going to be here next season are tearing up any trees at the minute and fans might even be more enthused in watching fringe players rather chasing some meaningless points target. We may even amass more points with players with fresh legs and desperate for a game anyway, especially if we ditch the 3-5-2 until we have the right players for that system..
Posted by: Croxton, March 16, 2019, 10:30pm; Reply: 37
Ring is simply too weak to be a wing back. He seems to lack the confidence to attack the line as if he is not sure that someone is covering behind. He dithers or passes backwards rather than winning throw ins,  corners or free kicks in the last third. Ordinary full back at best.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 16, 2019, 10:37pm; Reply: 38

What happened to the usual "Just Back" thread ???

Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 16, 2019, 10:49pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Bigdog
I just don't think that 3-5-2 suits the players at our disposal. We've been at our best with one up top. The best we've been in centre midfield is when we've played Hess and Clifton deeper with Embleton in a more advanced position. When was the last time we played them together regularly? Our best pairing at centre of defence was Davis and Whitmore, who blended together well as a partnership, after Collins (who had a decent game today) broke his arm and when he was banned in December. And we've had a lack of presence going forward or defending on the left. Thomas's body language wasn't great today, I don't think he's going to be here next season and Jolley will have an idea if he's going already. If so, why aren't we having a good look at Vernam, Dennis or A Rose? The opportunity to blood other players in competitive matches without consequences doesn't come around very often, MJ should treasure the next few games rather than trying to beat our points total from last year. It's a given anyway. At this stage the development of players who are going to be here next season must be far more important than trying to finish with 51, 54, 56 or 60 points. It's not like the players that are not going to be here next season are tearing up any trees at the minute and fans might even be more enthused in watching fringe players rather chasing some meaningless points target. We may even amass more points with players with fresh legs and desperate for a game anyway, especially if we ditch the 3-5-2 until we have the right players for that system..

Personally I don’t think 3-5-2 is doing us any favours either especially in games like today when both Hess & Woolly appeared to be sat deep and neither Ring or Hendrie are consistently bombing on or getting in behind. We did look a bit more fluid when RHJ played on the right of the 3 but the manager appears to prefer Davis there over RHJ I assume for his height more than footballing ability.

I’d also like to see some more of our quicker & more energetic players as our tempo and movement off the ball has regressed badly in recent weeks which may explain some of the performances and results.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, March 16, 2019, 11:05pm; Reply: 40
I disagree. think we need a couple more points before we start giving game time to the younger players, last 3 to 4 games give em a go, might do some of them good playing at a big place like Notts County, Rose, Clifton and Wright need more minutes, and using Burrell, Buckley and Pollock off the bench as well.
Posted by: wigworld, March 16, 2019, 11:43pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from promotion plaice

It's not back yet.
Posted by: nigelh, March 17, 2019, 9:15am; Reply: 42

It's on the beach
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 17, 2019, 1:14pm; Reply: 43

It was here but got blown away in the wind,

Anyway Embleton  away with England next week so will miss Bury game.
Posted by: nightrider, March 17, 2019, 2:31pm; Reply: 44
We'd be in the excrement if it wasn't for embleton imo - our best player earlier in the season, his performances at times lifted the team imo
Presently he looks a couple of leagues below somebody like John oster though
Posted by: TAGG, March 17, 2019, 4:02pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from nightrider
We'd be in the excrement if it wasn't for embleton imo - our best player earlier in the season, his performances at times lifted the team imo
Presently he looks a couple of leagues below somebody like John oster though

Ye the bloke was great for us early on but the last few games he’s been dog. He looks either knackered or couldn’t give a toss.
As for Ring he’s just not good enough if we want our team to progress.
Posted by: Bigdog, March 17, 2019, 8:13pm; Reply: 46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu6Abn3AXOM
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 18, 2019, 7:56am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Croxton
Ring is simply too weak to be a wing back. He seems to lack the confidence to attack the line as if he is not sure that someone is covering behind. He dithers or passes backwards rather than winning throw ins,  corners or free kicks in the last third. Ordinary full back at best.

Maybe he lacks confidence in others to cover him if he bombs forward.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, March 18, 2019, 3:56pm; Reply: 48
Northampton Home and Away both Draws

The only side in the league this season we will have drawn both Home and Away
Posted by: Tommy, March 18, 2019, 11:30pm; Reply: 49
Some harsh criticism of Ring on here.

I think he's good technically, got a good touch. Wants to pass the ball. The problem is in this system he doesn't have a winger ahead of him to pass to and link up with, he's on his own when he does make runs down the line.

Some saying he doesnt get forward quick enough when we're in possession and to give us width up the left hand side. I get that he's not particularly pacey. But he seems to have a decent enough engine on him to me. How quick do you really expect someone to get from basically a left back position in a back 5 when we're defending, to suddenly needing to be an attacking wide outlet within 2 seconds of us winning the ball?

The key thing with that is, we don't keep the ball well enough, or long enough with composed possession, to allow the wingbacks time to get up the pitch. Well, not lately anyway. On our last winning streak we played some better football that actually allowed one of the centre backs to overlap the wing-backs regularly to cause problems. But that's tailed off because we're not keeping the ball as well and because RHJ isn't in the back 3 now to do be able to do that.
Posted by: Croxton, March 19, 2019, 10:15am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Tommy
Some harsh criticism of Ring on here.

I think he's good technically, got a good touch. Wants to pass the ball. The problem is in this system he doesn't have a winger ahead of him to pass to and link up with, he's on his own when he does make runs down the line.

Some saying he doesnt get forward quick enough when we're in possession and to give us width up the left hand side. I get that he's not particularly pacey. But he seems to have a decent enough engine on him to me. How quick do you really expect someone to get from basically a left back position in a back 5 when we're defending, to suddenly needing to be an attacking wide outlet within 2 seconds of us winning the ball?

The key thing with that is, we don't keep the ball well enough, or long enough with composed possession, to allow the wingbacks time to get up the pitch. Well, not lately anyway. On our last winning streak we played some better football that actually allowed one of the centre backs to overlap the wing-backs regularly to cause problems. But that's tailed off because we're not keeping the ball as well and because RHJ isn't in the back 3 now to do be able to do that.

Can't argue with that analysis but it begs the question why MJ persists in playing a system and players (Woolford and Collins) that asks too much of Ring. That said, he is also one of our many players who are too easily dominated physically. In one of these dead rubber games it might be worth trying Rose in front of Ring in a 442?
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, March 19, 2019, 12:30pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Croxton

Can't argue with that analysis but it begs the question why MJ persists in playing a system and players (Woolford and Collins) that asks too much of Ring. That said, he is also one of our many players who are too easily dominated physically. In one of these dead rubber games it might be worth trying Rose in front of Ring in a 442?

If we are to try 4-4-2 as you suggest would personally prefer us to wait until Wright is available and let’s see how it works with a “proper” winger. I have reservations about putting square pegs into round holes when trying an alternative tactical approach otherwise chances of it being a success are greatly diminished.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, March 19, 2019, 12:43pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

If we are to try 4-4-2 as you suggest would personally prefer us to wait until Wright is available and let’s see how it works with a “proper” winger. I have reservations about putting square pegs into round holes when trying an alternative tactical approach otherwise chances of it being a success are greatly diminished.

Barring a disastrous start to next season, 3-5-2 is here to stay.

The teams that play it well usually have a defender joining each attack to offer further support out wide (RHJ).

There were numerous occasions on Saturday when Ring was wide open in space on the left wing but nobody chose to switch the play to him.

Collins has been a good player for us but his lack of pace forces us to play too deep. We could do with someone more athletic and able to offer attacking support down the left (Grayson).

A midfield 3 of Hess, Clifton and Whitehouse should have bundles of energy next season which will hopefully see us start to dominate the midfield more often.

Little and large partnerships up front have been tried and tested for years (Heskey and Owen, Crouch and Defoe) and I think we desperately need a target man up there. A real nuisance who mucks in with a few goals but more importantly links play and gets assists. Akheem Rose playing on the shoulder could really reap the benefits of such a partnership. Northampton were slow at the back on Saturday and Rose could have caused all sorts of havoc in the last 30 minutes.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 19, 2019, 12:52pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Croxton

Probably because he intends to play that system and is getting players used to it, whilst he is waiting for the chance to bring in some new blood and shuffle the pack to fit the system.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 5:29am