5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
February 13, 2019, 7:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Not seen any awful reviews Swin. By no stretch of the imagination could I imagine it was awful. Everyone has their preferences but 'awful' would be hard to fathom.

Didn't know you could get fish and chips from the Notts. You used to have to go next door for food. If you don't even need to brace the short dash to the Agrah it sounds a match made in heaven.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
LH
February 14, 2019, 1:18am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,503
Gold Stars: 173
Very mixed reviews about Papas and their “we’re going to bring good fish and chips to Cleethorpes” line and defacing the pier with PAPAS in big ‘orrible letters over the roof has made me hope that they fail.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
ginnywings
February 14, 2019, 8:50am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,120
Gold Stars: 548
Sea Lane Fisheries takes some beating and it's my current fave. I've not sat in to eat yet, but never had a bad take out from there. The fish is top notch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
Maringer
February 14, 2019, 9:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from ginnywings
Sea Lane Fisheries takes some beating and it's my current fave. I've not sat in to eat yet, but never had a bad take out from there. The fish is top notch.

Agreed. It's where I usually go and I live in Cleethorpes so it's a longer journey than I would need to make. Better than Marklews (which itself isn't bad).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
paulgtfc
February 16, 2019, 9:35pm
Never lost at the old Wembley!
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Papas certainly decent but Steels is the top one for me  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
Marinerz93
February 16, 2019, 11:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I think Steele's in Cleethorpes market place has been family run for over 30 years, always had great service form there and the food from steak to fish and chips has always been first class.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
arryarryarry
February 18, 2019, 3:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Marinerz93
I think Steele's in Cleethorpes market place has been family run for over 30 years, always had great service form there and the food from steak to fish and chips has always been first class.

Last time I went in there a couple of years ago the service was crap, waited ages to get our meal.

Also tried Becketts and that was the worst F&C we had had in a long time eating out.

When we are over for the games we go to Papas in the main the F&C is very good, on the odd occaision we have had to ask for another fish but to be fair they have always sorted us out without any delay.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
Azimuth
February 19, 2019, 12:05am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Dreadful place, served me cod instead of haddock and then told me I didnt know the difference, as an ex fisherman from a family of fish merchants I nearly fell off my chair laughing, oh and you pay extra for peas.
Give me Steels or Ocean any time to sit in but the very best takaway fish in my opinion has to be from Scartho on Waltham Road.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
Rick12
February 20, 2019, 11:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Personally I wouldn't recommend any of  the fish and chip shops.Having a dodgy stomach myself I went into Steele's around 2 years ago and after eating their fish and chips got a upset stomach .This is no doubt due to the way they cook their chips and fish in lard which isnt healthy on the body.

I personally buy my own haddock/cod from the Grimsby fishmongers and make my own chips.This I do in olive oil and is far healthier on the body.Hence home cooking has never upset my stomach.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
Maringer
February 20, 2019, 12:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
I'm sure that Steele's don't use lard, or beef dripping, for that matter. They would certainly make mention of this in their advertising if they did (places which use dripping tend to brag about it) and vegetable oil will be much cheaper than the animal fats in the quantities they will use each year so that's what they will use.

Nothing wrong with using Olive oil for general cooking, but for chips or deep fried fish? Not for me, thanks - too strong a flavour, even the refined stuff. You definitely don't want to be deep frying with extra virgin olive oil if you can help it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Fish and Chips

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.