Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: Teesknees, February 11, 2019, 4:41pm
Just wondered if anyone has any views on the fish and chips from Papa's on the Pier? I've heard mixed reviews? I don't often get back to get any good fish and chips, so usually head to Beckett's or Steele's. I don't want to waste a rare trip back on somewhere if it's going to be a bit crap!
Posted by: Maringer, February 11, 2019, 4:49pm; Reply: 1
Never been to Papa's myself, but I had a takeout from Beckett's the other week and it wasn't great. The oil didn't smell right to me and my coat stank when I left, even though I had only needed to wait a few minutes.

Steeles is always a known quantity and it's my preference for a sit down meal.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 11, 2019, 5:12pm; Reply: 2
The last time I went to a home game my wife and her friend went to Papa;s,

She said it was very good and big portions.

BUT

That was a year ago.

Seb  Ring has been recently and he thought they were good although he did not try the mushy peas. ;)
Posted by: Badger57, February 11, 2019, 5:15pm; Reply: 3
What's that one down St. Peter's Ave? Seawave is it?
We were going to go to Papa's but they had to close because their heating wasn't working. (I remember Pier 39 having industrial size storage heaters one winter back in the 80's.Have they not fixed it yet???) šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜‚
Anyway we went to the forementioned one instead and it was very nice. I couldn't believe how big it was! I've never ever been in there before and I'm in my sixties now!
Posted by: sydney, February 11, 2019, 6:41pm; Reply: 4
to sit in the Notts is currently v good on seaview street
take away the GR8 White near the ground always good
Posted by: moosey_club, February 11, 2019, 7:00pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Badger57
What's that one down St. Peter's Ave? Seawave is it?
We were going to go to Papa's but they had to close because their heating wasn't working. (I remember Pier 39 having industrial size storage heaters one winter back in the 80's.Have they not fixed it yet???) šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜‚
Anyway we went to the forementioned one instead and it was very nice. I couldn't believe how big it was! I've never ever been in there before and I'm in my sixties now!

Ocean
Posted by: GYinScuntland, February 11, 2019, 7:02pm; Reply: 6
Went to Papas midweek and thought they were a notch above the usual greasy slop you get most places.
Pleasant surroundings, a nice view and decent prices.
Very pleased to be fair and won't hesitate to try their other branches.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 11, 2019, 7:19pm; Reply: 7
I'd echo what GYinScuntland said. Been in Papa's twice now. Fish and chips good. The room was cold first time (winter before last). Service was good in a conventional, modern business sense (people were genuinely keen to provide good service, but it somehow lacks that warmth of the traditional service you get in Steele's).

Seeing Cleethorpes from that vantage point on the pier is an enjoyable change.

Ocean in the Avenue is also very good quality - only had a takeaway though.

As for our Swedish brethren, Mr Jolley needs to add Mushy Pea Appreciation to their cultural orientation programme.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, February 12, 2019, 1:54pm; Reply: 8
Haven't sampled Papa's yet myself as again I always go back to what I know and love!

But hoping to try Papa's soon and also Docks beers!

The muvva in law went to Papa's recently and commented on the good batter, which is a good sign in my book, nothing worse than soggy, spongey batter on your fish  ??)
Posted by: Ipswin, February 13, 2019, 12:55pm; Reply: 9
Not been to Papas, have read awful reviews but I'll reserve judgement unless or until I've been

Likely to be a long time tho' and it would have to be something very special to get me away from Steeles or the Notts
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 13, 2019, 7:04pm; Reply: 10
Not seen any awful reviews Swin. By no stretch of the imagination could I imagine it was awful. Everyone has their preferences but 'awful' would be hard to fathom.

Didn't know you could get fish and chips from the Notts. You used to have to go next door for food. If you don't even need to brace the short dash to the Agrah it sounds a match made in heaven.
Posted by: LH, February 14, 2019, 1:18am; Reply: 11
Very mixed reviews about Papas and their ā€œweā€™re going to bring good fish and chips to Cleethorpesā€ line and defacing the pier with PAPAS in big ā€˜orrible letters over the roof has made me hope that they fail.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 14, 2019, 8:50am; Reply: 12
Sea Lane Fisheries takes some beating and it's my current fave. I've not sat in to eat yet, but never had a bad take out from there. The fish is top notch.
Posted by: Maringer, February 14, 2019, 9:34am; Reply: 13
Quoted from ginnywings
Sea Lane Fisheries takes some beating and it's my current fave. I've not sat in to eat yet, but never had a bad take out from there. The fish is top notch.

Agreed. It's where I usually go and I live in Cleethorpes so it's a longer journey than I would need to make. Better than Marklews (which itself isn't bad).
Posted by: paulgtfc, February 16, 2019, 9:35pm; Reply: 14
Papas certainly decent but Steels is the top one for me  :P
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 16, 2019, 11:36pm; Reply: 15
I think Steele's in Cleethorpes market place has been family run for over 30 years, always had great service form there and the food from steak to fish and chips has always been first class.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 18, 2019, 3:03pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Marinerz93
I think Steele's in Cleethorpes market place has been family run for over 30 years, always had great service form there and the food from steak to fish and chips has always been first class.

Last time I went in there a couple of years ago the service was crap, waited ages to get our meal.

Also tried Becketts and that was the worst F&C we had had in a long time eating out.

When we are over for the games we go to Papas in the main the F&C is very good, on the odd occaision we have had to ask for another fish but to be fair they have always sorted us out without any delay.
Posted by: Azimuth, February 19, 2019, 12:05am; Reply: 17
Dreadful place, served me cod instead of haddock and then told me I didnt know the difference, as an ex fisherman from a family of fish merchants I nearly fell off my chair laughing, oh and you pay extra for peas.
Give me Steels or Ocean any time to sit in but the very best takaway fish in my opinion has to be from Scartho on Waltham Road.
Posted by: Rick12, February 20, 2019, 11:07am; Reply: 18
Personally I wouldn't recommend any of  the fish and chip shops.Having a dodgy stomach myself I went into Steele's around 2 years ago and after eating their fish and chips got a upset stomach .This is no doubt due to the way they cook their chips and fish in lard which isnt healthy on the body.

I personally buy my own haddock/cod from the Grimsby fishmongers and make my own chips.This I do in olive oil and is far healthier on the body.Hence home cooking has never upset my stomach.
Posted by: Maringer, February 20, 2019, 12:17pm; Reply: 19
I'm sure that Steele's don't use lard, or beef dripping, for that matter. They would certainly make mention of this in their advertising if they did (places which use dripping tend to brag about it) and vegetable oil will be much cheaper than the animal fats in the quantities they will use each year so that's what they will use.

Nothing wrong with using Olive oil for general cooking, but for chips or deep fried fish? Not for me, thanks - too strong a flavour, even the refined stuff. You definitely don't want to be deep frying with extra virgin olive oil if you can help it.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, February 20, 2019, 1:33pm; Reply: 20
Just seen this earlier this morning... bigging up Steels!  :)

https://www.facebook.com/JungleTwisted/videos/1054197908099615/?t=3
Posted by: Rick12, February 20, 2019, 5:09pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Maringer
I'm sure that Steele's don't use lard, or beef dripping, for that matter. They would certainly make mention of this in their advertising if they did (places which use dripping tend to brag about it) and vegetable oil will be much cheaper than the animal fats in the quantities they will use each year so that's what they will use.

Nothing wrong with using Olive oil for general cooking, but for chips or deep fried fish? Not for me, thanks - too strong a flavour, even the refined stuff. You definitely don't want to be deep frying with extra virgin olive oil if you can help it.
Its a Mediterranean thing though.In Spain for instance they use olive oil for cooking and the Mediterranean diet is one of the healthiest in the world.

Posted by: Maringer, February 20, 2019, 5:40pm; Reply: 22
Yeah, I use a good amount of olive oil myself. I just wouldn't use it for fish and chips!

Beef dripping is supposedly very good but I'm not entirely sure I've ever had any fish and chips cooked in it. Regardless, the missus hates fish, so I rarely get the chance to eat it at home - takeaways aside, of course.
Posted by: Azimuth, February 20, 2019, 10:00pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Rick12
Personally I wouldn't recommend any of  the fish and chip shops.Having a dodgy stomach myself I went into Steele's around 2 years ago and after eating their fish and chips got a upset stomach .This is no doubt due to the way they cook their chips and fish in lard which isnt healthy on the body.

I personally buy my own haddock/cod from the Grimsby fishmongers and make my own chips.This I do in olive oil and is far healthier on the body.Hence home cooking has never upset my stomach.

Lard was the traditional method of frying fro decades and is good because you can reach much higher temperatures therefore meaning the batter or flour remains crisp, vegetable oils tend to boil the fish and chips and thats why you see soggy batter and pale chips these days.
Olive oil is great as a dressing but at higher temperatures recent research has suggested it is actually toxic because of the much lower smoke point which is typically around 30 degrees lower than other vegetable oils.
I suppose its a matter of preference and trial and error.
I remember margerine being hailed as much more healthy than butter, turns out this was not true or based on fact just marketing at the time.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 20, 2019, 10:36pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Rick12

Sounds like the problem is more to do with your stomach than anything to do with the fish & chip shops. Not your fault or theirs.
Posted by: monkeyboy, February 21, 2019, 7:01am; Reply: 25
A lot of better quality Chippys still use lard or dripping, it costs more but that reflects in the price.
Yes not the healthiest way but certainly the tastiest.
Im tols Steels etc still do use Dripping, this can be what sets them apart from the veggy oil users.

As for Olive oil for chips , just no.
Posted by: Rick12, February 21, 2019, 7:32am; Reply: 26
Quoted from Azimuth

Lard was the traditional method of frying fro decades and is good because you can reach much higher temperatures therefore meaning the batter or flour remains crisp, vegetable oils tend to boil the fish and chips and thats why you see soggy batter and pale chips these days.
Olive oil is great as a dressing but at higher temperatures recent research has suggested it is actually toxic because of the much lower smoke point which is typically around 30 degrees lower than other vegetable oils.
I suppose its a matter of preference and trial and error.
I remember margerine being hailed as much more healthy than butter, turns out this was not true or based on fact just marketing at the time.
Thanks for the information.

Quoted from KingstonMariner

Sounds like the problem is more to do with your stomach than anything to do with the fish & chip shops. Not your fault or theirs.
I actually have a problem with digestion eg my body cant absorb fat as well as other people and take medication as a result for this.Hence due to the  higher fat content in which most fish and chip shops cook their produce including Steels this is no doubt what caused my problem.Have I had taken more pills I may have eradicated the problem but it still highlights the excess way shops use high calories/fatty eating methods of cooking their products which cant be healthy on the arteries if its eaten to often.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 22, 2019, 12:37am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Rick12
Thanks for the information.

I actually have a problem with digestion eg my body cant absorb fat as well as other people and take medication as a result for this.Hence due to the  higher fat content in which most fish and chip shops cook their produce including Steels this is no doubt what caused my problem.Have I had taken more pills I may have eradicated the problem but it still highlights the excess way shops use high calories/fatty eating methods of cooking their products which cant be healthy on the arteries if its eaten to often.

Yes that was my point.
Posted by: 139881 (Guest), March 26, 2019, 6:56pm; Reply: 28
I recently went to Steels in Cleethorpes and I'll deffo be going again when I'm next up. Best place in town, surely
Even though the decor is dated and endless amounts of chips all over the floor - it's got that Mariner feel to it
Posted by: Grim74, March 27, 2019, 10:56am; Reply: 29
Went to Pappaā€™s for the first time at the weekend and have to say it was very good, went on the Sunday just after 5 and it was still busy, we managed to get a table and was served up within about 10 minutes with a lovely view out to the Humber, the fish was beautiful non greasy the way I like it.
Have to say the price was also reasonable I think they must have dropped them as Iā€™m sure they were more expensive when first open.Only  criticism was the small glass of Diet Coke I got, if I order a coke I want the full bloody thing! But to be fair there are a number of places that do this now. Overall well recommended.
Posted by: Ipswin, March 27, 2019, 9:40pm; Reply: 30
I am a Steeles man through and through I never go anywhere else when I am back home but when I come up on 4th May as the Kingsway is full I am staying at the Notts and I have heard their haddock and chips is excellent

anyone here tried the Notts please?
Posted by: codcheeky, March 28, 2019, 5:33am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Ipswin
I am a Steeles man through and through I never go anywhere else when I am back home but when I come up on 4th May as the Kingsway is full I am staying at the Notts and I have heard their haddock and chips is excellent

Yes, sometimes stay at the Notts when Iā€™m back, haddock is very good there, great breakfast as well
Posted by: codcheeky, March 28, 2019, 5:35am; Reply: 32
[quote=2070]

Yes, sometimes stay at the Notts when Iā€™m back, haddock is very good there, great breakfast as well also had excellent fish and chips at Marples across the road

Posted by: AndyDarloFC, March 28, 2019, 11:22am; Reply: 33
I always go to Steels when I'm down. Fantastic scran.
Posted by: Ipswin, March 28, 2019, 4:58pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from codcheeky
[quote=2070]

Yes, sometimes stay at the Notts when Iā€™m back, haddock is very good there, great breakfast as well also had excellent fish and chips at Marples across the road

Thanks mate, I'm looking forward to it. I know the owner there, we went to Clee together and his parents had a pork butchers in Cambridge Street so he should know a good breakfast banger and bacon!

Posted by: Hagrid, March 29, 2019, 11:41am; Reply: 35
The notts has a superb fish and chips, Very impressed with papas but my last visit dampened it somewhat, fish was poor!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 29, 2019, 12:39pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Hagrid
The notts has a superb fish and chips, Very impressed with papas but my last visit dampened it somewhat, fish was poor!

I've not been to the Papas on the pier but as I work in Hull been to one over here a few times with some of my workmates

To be honest it was nothing exceptional - it was nourishing enough but didn't have that wow feeling you get when you see what Steels have to offer offer on your plate

I'll probably give them a go in Cleethorpes at some stage though... be nice to have a view out to sea while tucking in to my nosh!   :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 29, 2019, 2:24pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I've not been to the Papas on the pier but as I work in Hull been to one over here a few times with some of my workmates

To be honest it was nothing exceptional - it was nourishing enough but didn't have that wow feeling you get when you see what Steels have to offer offer on your plate

I'll probably give them a go in Cleethorpes at some stage though... be nice to have a view out to sea while tucking in to my nosh!   :)

What I liked about the view there, was seeing Cleethorpes from a different angle. Nice!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 1, 2019, 1:04pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from KingstonMariner

What I liked about the view there, was seeing Cleethorpes from a different angle. Nice!

Of course I'd like the tide to be in if / when I get to go there KM.... I doubt the view is as good when all you can see is the mudflats and the saltmarsh!   ;)
Posted by: Grim74, April 1, 2019, 2:15pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Ipswin

No wonder you still vote Labour if youā€™re not even brave enough to sample another fish and chip shop But thatā€™s it go on and broaden your horizons and have a change will do you good in lifešŸ˜‚
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 5, 2019, 3:33pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Grim74

No wonder you still vote Labour if youā€™re not even brave enough to sample another fish and chip shop But thatā€™s it go on and broaden your horizons and have a change will do you good in lifešŸ˜‚

The obvious retort is if you've tried the best why bother with the rest.
Posted by: Grim74, April 14, 2019, 9:36am; Reply: 41
Nice to know you have a sense of humour funniest thing Iā€™ve heard you say šŸ˜‚
Posted by: Hagrid, April 24, 2019, 3:59pm; Reply: 42
went to papas on good Friday, absolutely packed but food Spot on!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 27, 2019, 3:56pm; Reply: 43
Just bumping this....

I tried out the place on Grimsby Road next to the Tesco Extra last night before the match...Henshaw's

I have to say it was pretty good too.... fish was fresh and tasty and the chips were good too

Being able to sit down inside and eat them (as opposed to taking them back to the car as we often have to before a game) was good as well

All in all I'd definitely go back there again for some pre-match nosh  :)
Posted by: Brazilnut, November 27, 2019, 5:24pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
Just bumping this....

I tried out the place on Grimsby Road next to the Tesco Extra last night before the match...Henshaw's

I have to say it was pretty good too.... fish was fresh and tasty and the chips were good too

Being able to sit down inside and eat them (as opposed to taking them back to the car as we often have to before a game) was good as well

All in all I'd definitely go back there again for some pre-match nosh  :)

First good report I have heard about this place and the other week noticed  on GT site it received a 1 star rating on its inspection ......but hey it may have improved since then
Posted by: chaos33, November 28, 2019, 12:04pm; Reply: 45
Is North Sea Lane still open? I used to go there before matches (or after) if there was time. Was always fantastic.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 28, 2019, 1:40pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Brazilnut

First good report I have heard about this place and the other week noticed  on GT site it received a 1 star rating on its inspection ......but hey it may have improved since then

You're not wrong about the inspection rating Brazilnut

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/popular-grimsby-chippy-mcdonalds-model-3247491

I found it convenient on Tuesday night and the food was more than acceptable

Maybe they've acted on the report.... guess they have to seeing as though the GT said when they opened up ( only a few months back ) that the new owner has a 10 year lease on the place
Posted by: Mayaman, January 4, 2020, 2:38pm; Reply: 47
I thought Papas was just OK.  Quite pricey but a good view (often underestimated and undervalued in my book). I only really ducked in there to get out of the cold. (i live in the tropics) I think Steeles and the Ocean are better for taste.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 6:29am