5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
FishOutOfWater
February 20, 2019, 1:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Just seen this earlier this morning... bigging up Steels!  

https://www.facebook.com/JungleTwisted/videos/1054197908099615/?t=3
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 47
Rick12
February 20, 2019, 5:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Maringer
I'm sure that Steele's don't use lard, or beef dripping, for that matter. They would certainly make mention of this in their advertising if they did (places which use dripping tend to brag about it) and vegetable oil will be much cheaper than the animal fats in the quantities they will use each year so that's what they will use.

Nothing wrong with using Olive oil for general cooking, but for chips or deep fried fish? Not for me, thanks - too strong a flavour, even the refined stuff. You definitely don't want to be deep frying with extra virgin olive oil if you can help it.
Its a Mediterranean thing though.In Spain for instance they use olive oil for cooking and the Mediterranean diet is one of the healthiest in the world.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 47
Maringer
February 20, 2019, 5:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Yeah, I use a good amount of olive oil myself. I just wouldn't use it for fish and chips!

Beef dripping is supposedly very good but I'm not entirely sure I've ever had any fish and chips cooked in it. Regardless, the missus hates fish, so I rarely get the chance to eat it at home - takeaways aside, of course.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 47
Azimuth
February 20, 2019, 10:00pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from Rick12
Personally I wouldn't recommend any of  the fish and chip shops.Having a dodgy stomach myself I went into Steele's around 2 years ago and after eating their fish and chips got a upset stomach .This is no doubt due to the way they cook their chips and fish in lard which isnt healthy on the body.

I personally buy my own haddock/cod from the Grimsby fishmongers and make my own chips.This I do in olive oil and is far healthier on the body.Hence home cooking has never upset my stomach.

Lard was the traditional method of frying fro decades and is good because you can reach much higher temperatures therefore meaning the batter or flour remains crisp, vegetable oils tend to boil the fish and chips and thats why you see soggy batter and pale chips these days.
Olive oil is great as a dressing but at higher temperatures recent research has suggested it is actually toxic because of the much lower smoke point which is typically around 30 degrees lower than other vegetable oils.
I suppose its a matter of preference and trial and error.
I remember margerine being hailed as much more healthy than butter, turns out this was not true or based on fact just marketing at the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 47
KingstonMariner
February 20, 2019, 10:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Rick12
Personally I wouldn't recommend any of  the fish and chip shops.Having a dodgy stomach myself I went into Steele's around 2 years ago and after eating their fish and chips got a upset stomach .This is no doubt due to the way they cook their chips and fish in lard which isnt healthy on the body.

I personally buy my own haddock/cod from the Grimsby fishmongers and make my own chips.This I do in olive oil and is far healthier on the body.Hence home cooking has never upset my stomach.

Sounds like the problem is more to do with your stomach than anything to do with the fish & chip shops. Not your fault or theirs.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 47
monkeyboy
February 21, 2019, 7:01am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
A lot of better quality Chippys still use lard or dripping, it costs more but that reflects in the price.
Yes not the healthiest way but certainly the tastiest.
Im tols Steels etc still do use Dripping, this can be what sets them apart from the veggy oil users.

As for Olive oil for chips , just no.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 47
Rick12
February 21, 2019, 7:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Azimuth

Lard was the traditional method of frying fro decades and is good because you can reach much higher temperatures therefore meaning the batter or flour remains crisp, vegetable oils tend to boil the fish and chips and thats why you see soggy batter and pale chips these days.
Olive oil is great as a dressing but at higher temperatures recent research has suggested it is actually toxic because of the much lower smoke point which is typically around 30 degrees lower than other vegetable oils.
I suppose its a matter of preference and trial and error.
I remember margerine being hailed as much more healthy than butter, turns out this was not true or based on fact just marketing at the time.
Thanks for the information.

Quoted from KingstonMariner

Sounds like the problem is more to do with your stomach than anything to do with the fish & chip shops. Not your fault or theirs.
I actually have a problem with digestion eg my body cant absorb fat as well as other people and take medication as a result for this.Hence due to the  higher fat content in which most fish and chip shops cook their produce including Steels this is no doubt what caused my problem.Have I had taken more pills I may have eradicated the problem but it still highlights the excess way shops use high calories/fatty eating methods of cooking their products which cant be healthy on the arteries if its eaten to often.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 47
KingstonMariner
February 22, 2019, 12:37am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Rick12
Thanks for the information.

I actually have a problem with digestion eg my body cant absorb fat as well as other people and take medication as a result for this.Hence due to the  higher fat content in which most fish and chip shops cook their produce including Steels this is no doubt what caused my problem.Have I had taken more pills I may have eradicated the problem but it still highlights the excess way shops use high calories/fatty eating methods of cooking their products which cant be healthy on the arteries if its eaten to often.

Yes that was my point.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 47
March 26, 2019, 6:56pm
Guest User
I recently went to Steels in Cleethorpes and I'll deffo be going again when I'm next up. Best place in town, surely
Even though the decor is dated and endless amounts of chips all over the floor - it's got that Mariner feel to it
Reply: 28 - 47
Grim74
March 27, 2019, 10:56am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Went to Pappa’s for the first time at the weekend and have to say it was very good, went on the Sunday just after 5 and it was still busy, we managed to get a table and was served up within about 10 minutes with a lovely view out to the Humber, the fish was beautiful non greasy the way I like it.
Have to say the price was also reasonable I think they must have dropped them as I’m sure they were more expensive when first open.Only  criticism was the small glass of Diet Coke I got, if I order a coke I want the full bloody thing! But to be fair there are a number of places that do this now. Overall well recommended.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Fish and Chips

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.