This thread currently has 9,842 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
January 13, 2019, 6:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Having a night to reflect back on yesterday Ring was involved a lot more than others not by choice but I thought he battled well and did not let himself down.

Ohman showed glimpses of a Mark Lever type of defender (not a bad trait) Mitch struggled more with their big man than he did against Zaha.

Special mention to Luke Hendry he looks a class signing glad we got him.

Midfield looked weaker once Harry went off Vernam definitely the best of an average bunch.

Embers passing let him down on several occasions.

We really do need a doubled pronged attack up front not sure Akeem is the answer he could not get behind them even with his pace.

Never gave their keeper anything to do which was down to lack of ideas against a big defence bad service and good defending by them.

Could not fault the effort particularly in the second half but I hope we are sharper in ideas against the Imps.

Disappointing but we are still on a learning curve we go again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
diehardmariner
January 13, 2019, 7:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,611
Gold Stars: 538
Pleased the general consensus is bad day at the office rather than full blown meltdown.

It was just a bad day. Maybe a step too far for the players to keep going and going, maybe the changes (needed and agreed with by most before the game) disrupted things. Who knows? It's done, we go again next week.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
chaos33
January 13, 2019, 7:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
These results and performances happen to mid table teams, especially when squads are tired and pushed to the limits numbers wise.

Apart from the non showing, which is a big disappointment nonetheless, the real shame is that we may really come to see this match as pivotal in our attempt to get into the play off picture, or top half. It was a golden chances to move on up and it's been squandered, and I think we may well look back on it with real regret. Still, this happens in football all the time and we must bounce back.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 50
Maringer
January 13, 2019, 8:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Although I think Thomas looked off his game a bit, he wasn't exactly helped by his team mates. In the first half I can remember about 1 occasion where the ball was played into his feet or for him to run on to and when he did get it, there wasn't a team mate within 30 yards of him.

A bit better in the second half but he has been ploughing a lone furrow up top for some time now and he does look tired. Hence the tardiness in getting back onside too often.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
rancido
January 13, 2019, 8:12am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from chaos33
These results and performances happen to mid table teams, especially when squads are tired and pushed to the limits numbers wise.

Apart from the non showing, which is a big disappointment nonetheless, the real shame is that we may really come to see this match as pivotal in our attempt to get into the play off picture, or top half. It was a golden chances to move on up and it's been squandered, and I think we may well look back on it with real regret. Still, this happens in football all the time and we must bounce back.

I can see what you mean but unfortunately we had a weakened, tired side coming up against a rejuvenated team under a new manager. The way Mac played in the first half was better than I expected from a team that had struggled for most of the season.  Sol certainly seems to have instilled some belief and organisation in them.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
marinerdazza
January 13, 2019, 8:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,856
Gold Stars: 82
I expected this sort of match so I wasn’t especially surprised or deflated. It’ll be fine. Hope Clifton is ok.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 50
quebec38
January 13, 2019, 9:06am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
Rubbish from start to finish but half expected tbh and definitely forgivable.

The players looked tired, Clifton’s injury was a big blow, the back four looked unsettled, Rose was at his worst. Add to that Macclesfield are now looking like a well coached outfit by Campbell (and fair play to him).

Sounds positive regarding the centre halves for next week. Hopefully two of Whitmore, Davis and Collins will start meaning Hendrie and RHJ can play wide. Harsh on Ring because we couldn’t have expected anything of him yesterday, but I think Lincoln away could be a horrible game for him this early in his Grimsby career.

Hopefully Clifton will be available too but if not I hope it’s Woolford that comes in and not Rose.

Most importantly let’s hope the players can come back reenergised next week because it was really lacking yesterday.

UTM!
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 50
Maringer
January 13, 2019, 9:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Truth be told, I've never seen RHJ have a particularly impressive game at full-back. Good in some aspects but weak in others.

On yesterday's performance I'd be happy to see Ring start, especially with another week of training under his belt. Hendrie a much superior full-back to RHJ at present.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
January 13, 2019, 10:04am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,691
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from Maringer
Although I think Thomas looked off his game a bit, he wasn't exactly helped by his team mates. In the first half I can remember about 1 occasion where the ball was played into his feet or for him to run on to and when he did get it, there wasn't a team mate within 30 yards of him.

A bit better in the second half but he has been ploughing a lone furrow up top for some time now and he does look tired. Hence the tardiness in getting back onside too often.

To be fair macclesfield looked like they’d done their research and seemed to isolate him from the game, he only managed to start getting more involved when akheem came on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
arryarryarry
January 13, 2019, 2:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Maringer
Truth be told, I've never seen RHJ have a particularly impressive game at full-back. Good in some aspects but weak in others.

On yesterday's performance I'd be happy to see Ring start, especially with another week of training under his belt. Hendrie a much superior full-back to RHJ at present.

I have to say I agree, always thought he looked a bit suspect at defending at right back however I thought he had an oustanding game at Palace.

I do like they way he got forward when playing full back so maybe a better option as playing wide midfield.

As regards Ring I thought he played well up to 15 minutes to go when he looked tired so once he is up to speed with his fitness I am hoping he becomes a fine defender.

On the game, probably one of the worst performances of the season although I actually thought Macclesfield played well and looked a half decent side that may well pull away from the bottom two.

I also thought we looked weak in midfield after Clifton was taken off.

Always disappointed to see Thomas plowing a lone furrow up front especially at home as in some games like on Saturday he just doesn't offer that much.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.