6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Bigdog
January 12, 2019, 5:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
One mistake and bad marking for the two soft goals conceded.

Outplayed by an average side who were not particularly quick, not particularly physical and not particularly tight makers. Just better orgainsed and wanted it more.

Makeshift defence and it showed. Too many players not match ready and there didn't seem to be a single player on the pitch prepared to take up the role of the leader.

Not aggressive enough, not tight enough marking, too deep defending, lack of composure on the ball, lack of movement, poor passing, too slow out wide, poor set pieces, not combative enough in centre midfield and panicky with the ball in the final third and not compact as a side out of possession.

I can't wait to see Whitmore and Davis back in central defence and someone with pace and physicality signed up  to replace the ineffective Pringle to give us a bit more balance across the midfield.

We are still nowhere near the finished article and even though we got a nice haul of points in December we didn't dominate games and in some didn't really play well but fought to hang on, be solid and nick points. Can't do that when conceding two soft goals early on.

Was it after the lord mayors show I'm not sure, maybe it's a bit more of a reflection of exactly where we are and we can't keep consistently pulling results out of the bag unless we have our best defence playing to give us some solidity.

At least it ends the fanciful notion that the play offs were in reach. Wide midfield areas, a stiffening up in centre midfield and an additional option for Thomas need signing before we can contemplate being a promotion chasing side next season.

Not going to judge the Swedish acquisitions after one game when we played a makeshift side..

Write it off and the players better be a lot more fired up for next weeks game..

Thought Hess did ok to be fair..

Not much more to add. Disappointed with the performance especially the lack of intensity in our play that's been evident the past couple of months, but not massively shocked if you looked at the underlying performances over the past six weeks rather than the points gained and taking into account we're missing Whitmore, Davis, Fox and Clifton and having to replace them with players who aren't match ready..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 50
TwoLeftFeet
January 12, 2019, 5:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,069
Gold Stars: 18
Bad day at the office, too many players off there game today. Badly need Davis,Whitmore and DC back ASAP..

Liked the look of Ring he looks to be positive and didn't go missing, tho his lack of game time seemed to show especially 1st half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
promotion plaice
January 12, 2019, 5:57pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

Gutted after so much positivity recently.....the joys of being a Town fan eh.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
Mikoo
January 12, 2019, 6:02pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +466
Just confirms what we’ve known all season. A season of inconsistencies and a mid table finish. With some good signings in the summer we can hopefully push for playoffs at least next year  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
ginnywings
January 12, 2019, 6:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Bigdog
One mistake and bad marking for the two soft goals conceded.

Outplayed by an average side who were not particularly quick, not particularly physical and not particularly tight makers. Just better orgainsed and wanted it more.

Makeshift defence and it showed..

Too many players not match ready.

Not aggressive enough, not tight enough marking, too deep defending, lack of composure on the ball, lack of movement, poor passing, too slow out wide, poor set pieces, not combative enough in centre midfield and panicky with the ball in the final third and not compact as a side out of possession.

I can't wait to see Whitmore and Davis back in central defence and someone with pace and physicality signed up  to replace the ineffective Pringle to give us a bit more balance across the midfield.

We are still nowhere near the finished article and even though we got a nice haul of points in December we didn't dominate games and in some didn't really play well but fought to hang on, be solid and nick points. Can't do that when conceding two soft goals early on.

Was it after the lord mayors show I'm not sure, maybe it's a bit more of a reflection of exactly where we are and we can't keep consistently pulling results out of the bag unless we have our best defence playing to give us some solidity.

At least it ends the fanciful notion that the play offs were in reach. Wide midfield areas, a stiffening up in centre midfield and an additional option for Thomas need signing before we can contemplate being a promotion chasing side next season.

Not going to judge the Swedish acquisitions after one game when we played a makeshift side..

Write it off and the players better be a lot more fired up for next weeks game..

Thought Hess did ok to be fair..

Not much more to add. Disappointed with the performance but not massively shocked if you looked at the underlying performances over the past six weeks rather than the points gained and taking into account we're missing Whitmore, Davis, Fox and Clifton and having to replace them with players who aren't match ready..

Totally agree with you there. Thought Pringle was poor and ineffective and not the long term answer. Thought both the Macc wide men were better than him, and it looks to me that Pringle's best days are behind him. No surprise when he was replaced and i think that's one area we need a new and better signing. Also think we need another experienced striker on the books.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 50
Maringer
January 12, 2019, 6:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184
I wonder if Cook will stay at the club? He's not getting a look in at the moment when we're really short of forwards. That said, he doesn't look like a forward to me.

A. Rose has something about his game so potential for the future but looks very naive at times so I think we do need another striking option.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 50
ginnywings
January 12, 2019, 6:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Most frustrating thing is that a win today would have seen us 12th, and only 7 points off the play offs, while putting 16 points between us and the bottom 2. We are now 10 from the play offs and 10 from the bottom. Not a disaster, but we could have made a big stride today at home against one of the league's strugglers.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 50
Mrs Doyle
January 12, 2019, 6:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Our makeshift defence struggled big time against their big lad, first half we looked a bit knackered understandably after the palace match with ten men doing double shifts.

Aimless balls hit too hard into the channels Ahkeem found it hard to get into the game

Second half we tried but had no idea how to get past them best chance was a wicked cross that just needed a touch to convert other than that nothing.

Only positive for me was the new lad Ring looked promising and later the other lad looked like an uncompromising defender especially good in the air.

They will need time to settle in and the rest of the team to get some understanding going.

Bad mistake by Rose but not playing his natural position got caught with the ball sticking under his foot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
Pontooner
January 12, 2019, 6:25pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +186
Macc were the better side (especially in the first half) and deserved the win.

Town looked totally out of sorts from the start, although they did improve a little after the break. A key problem was that none of the midfield 5 seemed on their game and so Town struggled to control the game, or create much of a threat in the last third.

Two daft goals gifted and two really good chances not taken summed up the afternoon. I like Vernam and Pringle who are technically gifted, but both need to influence the game more.

That said, the side has been a bit makeshift of late, so hopefully will get back on track when key players return.

Thought Ring looked ok, put in a few good tackles and passed the ball quite well. Hopefully he'll improve further with games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 50
forza ivano
January 12, 2019, 6:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Oh dear. Am gutted I got the prediction 100% correct.aint it weird how some teams will get a result at town no matter what the circumstances? Was told that ring looked very good so possibly the one bright spot. I suspect that mental as well as physical tiredness may have taken its toll. Some on here will be able to comment better than me but I remember having got a result a
much be tter team I was absolutely knackered mentally having concentrated so hard for 90 minutes, it was the worse than the physical tiredness of putting your body on the line. If you need any more evidence take a look at Newport's result.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.