Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Other clubs you have soft-spot for.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 212 Guests

Other clubs you have soft-spot for.

This thread currently has 6,259 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinersOnTheUp
January 9, 2019, 6:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
Leyton Orient - A mate of mine is a die hard Orient fan and they've been through it with ownership troubles and nearly losing their club but they're finally on the way back. Proper club too with a good old school ground so I always look out for their results.

Wigan - Always admired the way they overachieved for so long pulling off great escape after great escape to stay in the Premeir League and even when they did go down winning the FA cup. Would like to see them get back into the premier league.

Not really a soft spot as such but I also admire Burton and Accrington for the way they've built their clubs up and worked within their means to arguably overachieve. Burton spending two seasons in the championship was impressive. Accrington's owner is open and honest with his clubs fans and knows how to engage the club with the community which I'm slightly envious of.

Either the season we went down or the one before that a few hundred town fans went to Accrington to support them against Barnet if I'm not mistaken as we weren't playing and we needed them to beat Barnet. From what I can remember they welcomed our fans with open arms that night and encouraged us to wear our Grimsby Town shirts.

Regardless of any of that though my one real love will always be for Grimsby Town. I've got black and white striped blood.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 58
AdamHaddock
January 9, 2019, 6:33pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,803
Gold Stars: 25
Afc Wimbledon

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 58
Gaffer58
January 9, 2019, 6:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
West Ham, well they did win the World Cup, and Forfar, stopped there many years ago when we went to see The Open at Carnoustie.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 58
golfer
January 9, 2019, 7:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,419
Gold Stars: 115
Port Vale as thats the team my Mums side of my family support and its my local team

Woves because what young lad at the age of 7 just getting into football wouldn't want to support a team called Wolves  

I always pick a new team in the Premiershite to "support" each season out of the teams that got promoted to make MOTD a little more exciting to watch

You write fairly well for a 7 year old but you must learn how to stop writing sentences which have double meanings
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 58
BottesfordMariner
January 9, 2019, 9:00pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Was a ST holder at Manchester City for several years in the 80's and 90's. There wasnt a lot of glory back in those days. Since the success has come I still support them and still go now and again but the passion isnt the same for me.

The reason for City ......I have older brothers who support United. Though when I was very young I liked Liverpool as my boyhood idol was Steve Heighway. They always won though (where's the fun in that!!) so switched to City when as say 9 or 10.

My 'other' teams are mainly down to family reasons. My dad was a trawlerman from Fleetwood which is why he ended up in Grimsby. I grew up in Barcroft St and begged my mum and dad to let me go to BP but it was ages before they relented. My first proper match was in 1976 to watch Fleetwood Town in the Cheshire League. Soon after i watched Blackpool (my dad's team) in the old 2nd Division against Sheffield Utd. It wasnt until the 77-78 season I finally got my dad to take me to watch the Mariners and we didnt miss a home game for 5 or 6 seasons after that.

My mum was from Co Donegal in Ireland so I have always liked Glasgow Celtic and go up occasionally. These are my 'main' teams'.

I also look out for Finn Harps in the League of Ireland (they are Donegal;s main team) and Donegal Celtic (who are not from Co Donegal at all but Belfast and play in the (N) Irish League. I like the name.

I have been a keen follower of foreign football since a boy. Not a fan of anyone in particular but have a soft spot for Real Madrid. There was something magical and glamorous about them reading stuff as a kid in the 70's. Plus my dad was on the Real Madrid trawler a few times and I do have some Spanish ancestry. Also Hellas Verona in Italy as i went to the city on a school trip in 1980. And not to forget Panathinaikos as they have Shamrock on their badge.

Think that's it!!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 58
chaos33
January 9, 2019, 9:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Man United, Scunny, MK Dons

Love the fact that 16 nitwits with no sense or understanding of irony have red crossed you. Dear oh dear.

PS Kemi Kings, Rayo Vallecano, Haecken, Valenciennes, and Red Bull Salzburg I like.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 58
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
January 9, 2019, 10:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Luton - Not sure others will feel the same way but feel like we went through the same struggled at the same time, similiar type of club and we had some good matches against them while other top teams in none league always seemed to be a bunch of dirty cheats

Afc wimbledon - just think its incredible what theyve acheived and i’ll always be hoping they can stay above mk dons

Kidderminster harriers - another team i admired from our none league stint, just like the club

Chievo verona - purely a football manager related one but genuinely still check their results every week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 58
bawarmy
January 9, 2019, 11:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,962
Gold Stars: 31
Ado Den Haag from Holland. They have a Heron on their badge so always look for their results. I like Herons
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 58
Mrs Doyle
January 10, 2019, 3:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Scunthorpe.

In a swamp at the bottom of our garden.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 58
moss_side_mariner
January 10, 2019, 6:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Scunthorpe.

In a swamp at the bottom of our garden.

Thanks Mrs. Doyle. I’ve been waiting for that. Was it originally a Les Dawson mother-in-law gag?

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Other clubs you have soft-spot for.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.