Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Other clubs you have soft-spot for.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 182 Guests

Other clubs you have soft-spot for.

This thread currently has 6,263 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
chaos33
January 10, 2019, 7:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 356
Luton - Not sure others will feel the same way but feel like we went through the same struggled at the same time, similiar type of club and we had some good matches against them while other top teams in none league always seemed to be a bunch of dirty cheats

Afc wimbledon - just think its incredible what theyve acheived and i’ll always be hoping they can stay above mk dons

Kidderminster harriers - another team i admired from our none league stint, just like the club

Chievo verona - purely a football manager related one but genuinely still check their results every week

I know what you're saying about Luton. There are quite a few parallels. I've got a good mate who supports and scouts for them so I do look out for their results and want them to do well. They've been good in the old acca this year too.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 58
PrestwichMariner
January 10, 2019, 7:46am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 5
Orient cos I lived in Leyton for a couple of years and used to go and watch them with a few mates. Armenia Bielefeld in Germany as I spent a fair bit of time there in 80s and used to watch them too.

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 58
1mickylyons
January 10, 2019, 9:14am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Used to watch Man U since the 77 Cup Final as well as Town but gave that up 2-3 Season`s into the Premier League era when I saw the way things where unfolding in terms of cash distribution. Whilst it`s not United`s fault they are a successful business model it`s clearly wrong wrong how the 72 teams below the Prem are treat and they help monopolise this. I still look for their results but it`s Town all the way. Have to say having 2 or more teams to support was commonplace growing up in the 70s and Man U,Liverpool and Leeds in the GY area seemed to be the 3 main teams with the London teams having a few followers. I still remember Man U getting hammered 6-0 by Ipswich with Gary Bailley saving 2 penalties and getting teased without mercy on the Monday at School I have hated Ipswich ever since
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
AndyDarloFC
January 10, 2019, 10:00am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
I think most people know I have a soft spot for Grimsby.

Lived in the town for 3 years, daughter still lives there now so I spend a lot of time down that way.
Got plenty of friends in Grimsby too, so always try to make a game when I can.

Always look out for the results after I've been to the Darlo game, first game I look for. Done 6 games this season, hopefully will have done 10 by the end of the season.

UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 53 - 58
thefish
January 10, 2019, 12:25pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Whoever happens to be playing against Scunny.

I don't have a soft spot for other teams... I just have teams I want to lose more!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 58
pyfish
January 10, 2019, 1:05pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +3
Gold Stars: 1
Went to Uni in Sunderland and worked at the Stadium of Light for a season so naturally look out for their results and want them to do well (or at least not get relegated any more than the past two seasons)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 10, 2019, 1:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Nottingham Forest ....... I used to watch them when I lived there for a while in pre-Clough days, Cloughie was at Derby if I remember right. Forest had a great side then and finished 2nd in the old Div One in 1967 in spite of being very unfashionable as a team. Jeff Whitefoot, ex Man U and Grimsby Town, was still playing when I first went to see them and later on they had Jim Baxter but not for long. The goalie was Peter Grummitt who would have walked into some recent England teams and they had the Welsh captain Terry Hennessy at centre back. Ian Storey-Moore played left wing, later transferred to Man U and up front they had Frank Wignall who was the nearest I saw to Tees and Rafferty for heading and Joe Baker, ex Hibs, Torino and Arsenal, who was unlucky not to make the 1966 squad.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 58
barralad
January 10, 2019, 2:44pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,289
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Used to watch Man U since the 77 Cup Final as well as Town but gave that up 2-3 Season`s into the Premier League era when I saw the way things where unfolding in terms of cash distribution. Whilst it`s not United`s fault they are a successful business model it`s clearly wrong wrong how the 72 teams below the Prem are treat and they help monopolise this. I still look for their results but it`s Town all the way. Have to say having 2 or more teams to support was commonplace growing up in the 70s and Man U,Liverpool and Leeds in the GY area seemed to be the 3 main teams with the London teams having a few followers. I still remember Man U getting hammered 6-0 by Ipswich with Gary Bailley saving 2 penalties and getting teased without mercy on the Monday at School I have hated Ipswich ever since

I remember being at school in the late 60s/early 70s EVERYONE had a second team. At one point the school tried to raise funds by working with a producer of china mugs. Everyone wanted a GTFC one but they didn't produce 4th division ones so we all ended up with one from our "second" team. At the time Man U, Leeds and Chelsea were the most popular.
Teams I still look out for are Hamilton Academicals (love the name) and Q.P.R. who I first heard of really in 1967 when, as a third division team they won the league cup beating West Brom in what I think was the first Wembley final. They also-a bit later had Rodney Marsh and Stan Bowles..real characters. Strangely I wasn't put off them despite being bricked from the multi-storey flats around South Africa Rd on one of our visits there in 1982 by their "fans"!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 58
BottesfordMariner
January 10, 2019, 5:19pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from barralad

I remember being at school in the late 60s/early 70s EVERYONE had a second team. At one point the school tried to raise funds by working with a producer of china mugs. Everyone wanted a GTFC one but they didn't produce 4th division ones so we all ended up with one from our "second" team. At the time Man U, Leeds and Chelsea were the most popular.
Teams I still look out for are Hamilton Academicals (love the name) and Q.P.R. who I first heard of really in 1967 when, as a third division team they won the league cup beating West Brom in what I think was the first Wembley final. They also-a bit later had Rodney Marsh and Stan Bowles..real characters. Strangely I wasn't put off them despite being bricked from the multi-storey flats around South Africa Rd on one of our visits there in 1982 by their "fans"!

yeh most of the kids i knew at school in the mid to late 70's had a second 'big' team. Then it was United, Liverpool and Leeds being far and away the most popular. Leeds were often on the big match (Yorkshire ITV) or match of the day.

There were a couple of Newcastle as well ( they were from Geordie families) beyond that you got the odd one like Everton, Spurs, Arsenal , City , Chelsea, Forest & West Ham etc.

Even though teams like Villa, WBA, Ipswich & Derby were good and winning trophies I dont remember any of the kids at school liking them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Other clubs you have soft-spot for.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.