Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Other clubs you have soft-spot for.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 385 Guests

Other clubs you have soft-spot for.

This thread currently has 6,213 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Yossarian
January 9, 2019, 12:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,098
Gold Stars: 18
Part of following football is (for me) embracing that shared misery and suffering that all of us go through - irrespective of the club you support (big 6 not withstanding).

Therefore, any fan who supports any other club outside the big clubs I can empathise with as we are all pretty much in the same boat (no cup wins, miserable performances, occasional and fleeting glimmers of hope etc).

Some clubs (either through travels, or friends) I have an affection for...who are yours?

Mine?

Charlton Athletic.  They lost their stadium, had to travel all over London and Kent to play "home" games for years and through the efforts of their own fans got The Valley back.  It was a pleasure to see Grimsby play back at The Valley when they first re-opened it - it was a proper dump, so to see what they have now is quite remarkable.  Plus they had Clive Mendonca!

Portsmouth: Crazy fans - always an incredible atmosphere at Fratton Park - the antithesis of the modern football stadium as well.  Grimsby played there a few years back and lost 4-2 - was amazed at the great atmosphere.

Dulwich Hamlets: I go there couple of times per year - very impressive what they put together, good community support and pleased to see they have their ground back.

Edit:  Just to be clear - I dont mean other clubs you support (there can only ever be one!!) - just those you for some reason keep a look out for

Logged Offline
Private Message
MeanwoodMariner
January 9, 2019, 12:10pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Man United, Scunny, MK Dons
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 58
promotion plaice
January 9, 2019, 12:11pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

Only England for me  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 58
Yossarian
January 9, 2019, 12:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Approval: +1,098
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Man United, Scunny, MK Dons

That did make me laugh!!  MK Dons!!  Does anyone actually not hate them?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 58
Mariner_09
January 9, 2019, 12:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Liverpool are my second team.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 58
Sweden
January 9, 2019, 12:26pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +318
Gold Stars: 8
Brage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 58
Dogger Bank
January 9, 2019, 12:29pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +161
Gold Stars: 2
Grimsby reserves
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 58
grimps
January 9, 2019, 12:31pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
Carlisle

They about the only club more isolated than us and always be seem to get decent support .
My main reason though is when I was a kid in the 80s I went to watch town play there with my old man , when we got outside the away end a copper cake over and said’ all kids this way ‘
He then got a steward to open the gate and let us all in for free .
I’ve always thought that was a nice touch that you’d never see happening again these days
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 58
ginnywings
January 9, 2019, 12:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
I got brought up in a Man Utd supporting household, although my older brothers also attended BP. My oldest brother was a huge Duncan Edwards fan and one of my other brothers was obsessed with George Best. I was bought football kits of Man Utd and Brazil when i was young, and it wasn't uncommon when i was a young lad at school for everyone to have a second team. As soon as i started going to BP by myself aged 12, there was no other team for me. Football wise, the Buckley years were fantastic, but the excitement of the Lawrie Mac era was incredible for a 12 year old. I still loved Man Utd as a second team when they had Coppell and Hill playing for them on the wings, and Docherty as manager. I also loved Bobby Charlton, still my favourite all time non Town player. It's more of a sentimental thing for them now, as they remind me of my two brothers, who are sadly no longer with us. I always think back to that night in 68 when they won the European cup and my brothers going crazy in my Ma's house. Not fussed about them now though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 58
Madeleymariner
January 9, 2019, 12:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Was East Stirling when in the Scots league, based on one NYD match when nearly every other fixture in Scotland was postponed for ice/snow, they somehow got their game played but with an official attendance of something like 26 supporters turning up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 58
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Other clubs you have soft-spot for.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.