5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
thevera
January 5, 2019, 8:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +991
Gold Stars: 5
Has today been a pivotal day in the recent history of GTFC?
We lost today but we lost in such a proud manner. A manner in which even the most depressive of Town fans must have felt mightly proud of their team.
I hope today has put plenty of faith in the bank of GTFC and can lead to a universal backing of Michael Jolley and the boys in the months to come. I'll always be proud of my football club but today I couldn't be prouder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
January 5, 2019, 8:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Im glad this game happened so soon after the exeter game, it’ll just really build and instill a belief in what is possible and if we do climb up the table this season or be challenging more next season, there’ll be a core to this team who will know exactly how to hold on to results
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 40
hheh2
January 6, 2019, 5:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Shankly, Buckley and Jolley Grimsby's best managers!

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 40
golfer
January 6, 2019, 7:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
I hope the attendance at our home games will improve now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 40
NorthseaMariner
January 6, 2019, 11:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,524
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from hheh2

And Big Mac as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 40
arryarryarry
January 6, 2019, 11:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Quoted from hheh2

You forgot Lawrie McMenemy Michael but you keep trying and you may well end up there amongst the best.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 40
promotion plaice
January 6, 2019, 11:55am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from hheh2

Bit early to include Jolley in the best manager list but I can well see him joining it if we keep on improving at this rate, trouble is he'll probably get poached by another club if things start going really well.
Maybe it's time to ditch the 6 month rolling contract in Jolley's case.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 40
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 6, 2019, 11:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from hheh2

John Newman, George Kerr, Dave Booth, Lawrie Mac........ a great display, side showing great promise, good vibes but Jolley has a long, long way to go yet to match the achievements of these fellers.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 40
promotion plaice
January 6, 2019, 12:01pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

John Newman, George Kerr, Dave Booth, Lawrie Mac........ a great win, side showing great promise, good vibes but Jolley has a long, long way to go yet to match the achievements of these fellers.

I notice Hurst isn't even getting a mention in these best manager lists  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 40
arryarryarry
January 6, 2019, 1:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Quoted from promotion plaice

Who?
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 40
Mariner_09
January 6, 2019, 1:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Hurst deserves to be on there.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 40
Mrs Doyle
January 6, 2019, 1:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
We seem to have turned the corner like the spirit of the team that got us back in the league.

We were hard done to by the ref against who bottled it early doors leaving their keeper on against Bristol at Wembley when most thought we deserved to win.

We outplayed them and definitely, our magnificent fans outsang them but this time it seems better after promotion the team got disbanded albeit Macca, Diz and a few.

This time is very different though, a younger team with a successful youth academy that seems to be coming to fruition and given the chance to play for the shirt.

In MICHAEL Jolley we have a manager and coaching team who with brains and bags of style in the PR department even better than Hurst, A.B. and others.

Lawrie Mac was great at bonding team and fans lets hope Jolley gets the backing he needs to achieve is gold and maybe now is also the right time to move back home to Grimsby.

The foundations look good this time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 6, 2019, 1:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

I suppose it depends how many seasons people think Jolley will take to achieve anything.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 40
Ipswin
January 6, 2019, 1:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

I suppose it depends how many seasons people think Jolley will take to achieve anything.

It also depends on what people regard as 'achieve'. Hurst's target was clear. What is Jolley's and what will the fans be satisfied with?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 6, 2019, 2:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

It also depends on what people regard as 'achieve'. Hurst's target was clear. What is Jolley's and what will the fans be satisfied with?

Promotion by May 2020 and I would be satisfied, Swin.

Interesting Hurst isn’t fixed up yet though, still it’s only January, plenty of sacking time left.

Private Message
Reply: 14 - 40
Bigdog
January 6, 2019, 2:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Mariner_09
Hurst deserves to be on there.

I'm sorry but getting us up through the Conference play offs after five attempts puts Hurst nowhere near the greats that have already been mentioned, well behind Newman and Kerr who got us promoted from higher divisions in shorter tenures and the managers who were in charge when we were in Division One all those years ago. Absolutely nowhere near being a great..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
MuddyWaters
January 6, 2019, 2:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Bigdog

I'm sorry but getting us up through the Conference play offs after five attempts puts Hurst nowhere near the greats that have already been mentioned, well behind Newman and Kerr who got us promoted from higher divisions in shorter tenures and the managers who were in charge when we were in Division One all those years ago. Absolutely nowhere near being a great..

Agree. Although he got us promoted eventually, promotions up from within the league are far more significant achievements and he had at least a play-off budget in all the seasons he was here.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 40
HertsGTFC
January 6, 2019, 3:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Bigdog

I'm not sure you can compare the achievements of managers either end of a 30+ year gap.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 40
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 6, 2019, 4:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I'm not sure you can compare the achievements of managers either end of a 30+ year gap.  

I'm sure you can! Whatever else has changed, the ball is still round and it is still 11 a side and the aim is still to score more goals than the other lot. Managers are judged by circumstances and in my book finishing in 5th place in the Championship (old Div 2) in 1984 rates higher than taking umpteen years to get out of non-league in 2016.

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 40
Posh Harry
January 6, 2019, 5:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,359
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Ipswin

I think we all know that you will never be satisfied Swin 🙂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 40
Ipswin
January 6, 2019, 6:29pm
Vodka Drinker

I'm sure you can! Whatever else has changed, the ball is still round and it is still 11 a side and the aim is still to score more goals than the other lot..

It's changed beyond all recognition especially the physical aspect, in fact there are some on here who don't think a player should be sent off unless he breaks someones leg

Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
Ipswin
January 6, 2019, 6:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

I think we all know that you will never be satisfied Swin 🙂

Well what exactly would satisfy you?

I'm afraid survival (which appears to please some) or mid table (which seems to satisfy others) is not the extent of my ambition for my team.

When we survive and if we finish mid table that is not progress, its just treading water. Jolley and the club as a whole must be aiming for more

Play offs in 2020 minimum surely if you want to acclaim Jolley and his young team as a new dawn for GTFC

Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
rancido
January 6, 2019, 6:35pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96

I think avoiding relegation last season, after all the damage done by Slade, must count as an achievement.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
Mrs Doyle
January 6, 2019, 6:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
There was only one place we were going under Slade and Jolley was rushed in with the thankless job of trying to save us from oblivion.

That he did was a minor miracle and an achievement in my eyes.

This season has been tough a clear out of overpaid journeymen and senior players who frankly were past their sell-by date has opened the door for new talent and our youth development system.

These players seem hungry for success the ethos and increased work rate has been noticeable to everyone the small squad as already fought some great battles and bonded as a team.

Still, early days but the foundations look sound this time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
Posh Harry
January 6, 2019, 8:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,359
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Ipswin

Well what exactly would satisfy you?

I'm afraid survival (which appears to please some) or mid table (which seems to satisfy others) is not the extent of my ambition for my team.

When we survive and if we finish mid table that is not progress, its just treading water. Jolley and the club as a whole must be aiming for more

Play offs in 2020 minimum surely if you want to acclaim Jolley and his young team as a new dawn for GTFC

Well you have me a question so I will give you an answer.

For a start, for me I would be satisfied with mid table this year. It doesn’t mean I don’t want more, but with the damage Slade did to the squad and the start to this season I would gladly take that. You might not see that as progress, after what we went through I certainly would.

As for next season then I would say a top half and pushing for the play offs as a minimum and making the play offs or going up automatically would be bonuses.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
diehardmariner
January 7, 2019, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,602
Gold Stars: 538
Make no mistake about it, Jolley is building something very special here.  

The bond between those players isn't something you can cobble together.  They are prepared to run through brick walls for each other, even the loan lads.  

I was apprehensive about what he was doing earlier in the season, especially when he couldn't seem to stick with a system and was favouring the older, slower players in his selections.  But since finding a system that works and going for a fresh, energetic approach we look a different animal.

Interesting how our fitness now seems one of our greatest strengths.  On Saturday Clifton and Hessenthaler especially just didn't stop running.    Earlier in the season the vast majority of us were questioning the logic in playing so few friendlies and looking very leggy as a result in the opening fixtures, now I'd back us to outrun every single team in our division.

Very exciting times.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
KingstonMariner
January 7, 2019, 2:14pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from diehardmariner
Make no mistake about it, Jolley is building something very special here.  

The bond between those players isn't something you can cobble together.  They are prepared to run through brick walls for each other, even the loan lads.  

I was apprehensive about what he was doing earlier in the season, especially when he couldn't seem to stick with a system and was favouring the older, slower players in his selections.  But since finding a system that works and going for a fresh, energetic approach we look a different animal.

Interesting how our fitness now seems one of our greatest strengths.  On Saturday Clifton and Hessenthaler especially just didn't stop running.    Earlier in the season the vast majority of us were questioning the logic in playing so few friendlies and looking very leggy as a result in the opening fixtures, now I'd back us to outrun every single team in our division.

Very exciting times.

I suspect a lot of the work went on unseen. Or at least was not apparent to us. One of the strengths to emerge has been the flexibility of the players. Look at how well they’ve adapted as a squad to the challenges posed by not only non-availability of defenders, but how they reacted so quickly in the game on Saturday to going a man down without any subs being made. Maybe some of the puzzling selections before were intended to prepare players mentally for unexpected circumstances and get them used to being out of their comfort zones. I think Bignot may have also been trying the same but the execution wasn’t at the same level.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
diehardmariner
January 7, 2019, 2:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,602
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I suspect a lot of the work went on unseen. Or at least was not apparent to us. One of the strengths to emerge has been the flexibility of the players. Look at how well they’ve adapted as a squad to the challenges posed by not only non-availability of defenders, but how they reacted so quickly in the game on Saturday to going a man down without any subs being made. Maybe some of the puzzling selections before were intended to prepare players mentally for unexpected circumstances and get them used to being out of their comfort zones. I think Bignot may have also been trying the same but the execution wasn’t at the same level.

Exactly!

The Bignot comparison is an interesting one.  I said to our travelling party after the game that it was really nice to see Jolley stand behind the players and applaud them but also let them take the praise from the fans, very classy.  I suspect Bignot would have rushed to the front and centre to take the plaudits himself.  
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
KingstonMariner
January 7, 2019, 4:12pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

Exactly!

The Bignot comparison is an interesting one.  I said to our travelling party after the game that it was really nice to see Jolley stand behind the players and applaud them but also let them take the praise from the fans, very classy.  I suspect Bignot would have rushed to the front and centre to take the plaudits himself.  

They both even wear v-necked jumpers

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
monkeyboy
January 7, 2019, 5:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
I like Jolley and think he will do well before being poached, month or two back i was very worried but the ship turned and the team look to be gelling but still without really playing that well in the league.
We are only a couple of players away from being very very good league 2 side and hope Jolley gets a god contract to carry on his forward thinking work
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
TheRealJohnLewis
January 7, 2019, 6:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Jolley will not be for too long (12-24 months), and we will then be back to square one and the feelgood factor will slowly disappear.  Unless we change the philosophy of the whole club and not just the dressing room.  We are still the same backwards thinking club but with a good manager who understands the value of youth and the fans.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 40
Roast Em Bobby
January 7, 2019, 6:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,722
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
Jolley will not be for too long (12-24 months), and we will then be back to square one and the feelgood factor will slowly disappear.  Unless we change the philosophy of the whole club and not just the dressing room.  We are still the same backwards thinking club but with a good manager who understands the value of youth and the fans.

Not sure this is entirely true, it was stated earlier this year that the clubs philosophy going forward is to put more emphasis into youth development with targets/aims set on a set number (I forget how many) of youths coming through into the first team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 40
TheRealJohnLewis
January 7, 2019, 7:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

Not sure this is entirely true, it was stated earlier this year that the clubs philosophy going forward is to put more emphasis into youth development with targets/aims set on a set number (I forget how many) of youths coming through into the first team.

I agree that the youths have received a lot more funding due to being in the league and we will obviously see signs of them in the future, but all it takes is another Slade who brings in the old brigade and limits the opportunity available to the kids.

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 40
gytone
January 7, 2019, 7:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,024
Gold Stars: 8

Bloody hell, i was happy until you came along 🤔😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 40
Mariner Ronnie
January 7, 2019, 7:15pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Since I’ve been watching town I can only rank the managers I’ve seen in the following order.

Paul Hurst/Alan Buckley mk1 & mk2
Slade mk 1
Brian laws
Hurst/Scott combo
Lennie Lawrence
Groves (loved him as a player though)
Neil Woods
Nicky Law (no time to impress really)
Mike Newell/slade mk2/Buckley mk3

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
Teds Lad
January 7, 2019, 7:25pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +61
I really like the effect he's having on the club but giving him a GOD Contract is a bit much! See below.

monkeyboy     
2 hours ago     

I like Jolley and think he will do well before being poached, month or two back i was very worried but the ship turned and the team look to be gelling but still without really playing that well in the league.
We are only a couple of players away from being very very good league 2 side and hope Jolley gets a god contract to carry on his forward thinking work
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 40
WesternMariner
January 7, 2019, 8:14pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +902
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
Since I’ve been watching town I can only rank the managers I’ve seen in the following order.

Paul Hurst/Alan Buckley mk1 & mk2
Slade mk 1
Brian laws
Hurst/Scott combo
Lennie Lawrence
Groves (loved him as a player though)
Neil Woods
Nicky Law (no time to impress really)
Mike Newell/slade mk2/Buckley mk3

Honestly Ron I know you’re entitled to your opinion but to put Hurst on the same level as our Lord Alan?!!!

You’d get stoned to death for blasphemy like that in certain parts of the world!  

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 40
jamesgtfc
January 7, 2019, 8:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
I'm sure Alex Whitmore was on the bench Saturday assisting the management team also. Great gesture by MJ to get some extra support down there and ensure Whitmore felt part of it, despite his suspension.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
KingstonMariner
January 7, 2019, 9:28pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from WesternMariner

Honestly Ron I know you’re entitled to your opinion but to put Hurst on the same level as our Lord Alan?!!!

You’d get stoned to death for blasphemy like that in certain parts of the world!  

I suspect he was stoned when he wrote it  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
monkeyboy
January 8, 2019, 6:45am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I suspect he was stoned when he wrote it  

Needs antipsychotics by the looks of things. Slade and Newel on the list also. How can such names grace the sam book as Sir Alan never mind the same page. Deluded.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
TheRealJohnLewis
January 8, 2019, 5:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker

And to back my point up, a new statement gets released!

Private Message
Reply: 40 - 40
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pivotal

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.