5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
January 6, 2019, 6:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

I'm sure you can! Whatever else has changed, the ball is still round and it is still 11 a side and the aim is still to score more goals than the other lot..

It's changed beyond all recognition especially the physical aspect, in fact there are some on here who don't think a player should be sent off unless he breaks someones leg

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
Ipswin
January 6, 2019, 6:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Posh Harry

I think we all know that you will never be satisfied Swin 🙂

Well what exactly would satisfy you?

I'm afraid survival (which appears to please some) or mid table (which seems to satisfy others) is not the extent of my ambition for my team.

When we survive and if we finish mid table that is not progress, its just treading water. Jolley and the club as a whole must be aiming for more

Play offs in 2020 minimum surely if you want to acclaim Jolley and his young team as a new dawn for GTFC

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
rancido
January 6, 2019, 6:35pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96

I suppose it depends how many seasons people think Jolley will take to achieve anything.

I think avoiding relegation last season, after all the damage done by Slade, must count as an achievement.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
Mrs Doyle
January 6, 2019, 6:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
There was only one place we were going under Slade and Jolley was rushed in with the thankless job of trying to save us from oblivion.

That he did was a minor miracle and an achievement in my eyes.

This season has been tough a clear out of overpaid journeymen and senior players who frankly were past their sell-by date has opened the door for new talent and our youth development system.

These players seem hungry for success the ethos and increased work rate has been noticeable to everyone the small squad as already fought some great battles and bonded as a team.

Still, early days but the foundations look sound this time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
Posh Harry
January 6, 2019, 8:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,359
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Ipswin

Well what exactly would satisfy you?

I'm afraid survival (which appears to please some) or mid table (which seems to satisfy others) is not the extent of my ambition for my team.

When we survive and if we finish mid table that is not progress, its just treading water. Jolley and the club as a whole must be aiming for more

Play offs in 2020 minimum surely if you want to acclaim Jolley and his young team as a new dawn for GTFC

Well you have me a question so I will give you an answer.

For a start, for me I would be satisfied with mid table this year. It doesn’t mean I don’t want more, but with the damage Slade did to the squad and the start to this season I would gladly take that. You might not see that as progress, after what we went through I certainly would.

As for next season then I would say a top half and pushing for the play offs as a minimum and making the play offs or going up automatically would be bonuses.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
diehardmariner
January 7, 2019, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,592
Gold Stars: 538
Make no mistake about it, Jolley is building something very special here.  

The bond between those players isn't something you can cobble together.  They are prepared to run through brick walls for each other, even the loan lads.  

I was apprehensive about what he was doing earlier in the season, especially when he couldn't seem to stick with a system and was favouring the older, slower players in his selections.  But since finding a system that works and going for a fresh, energetic approach we look a different animal.

Interesting how our fitness now seems one of our greatest strengths.  On Saturday Clifton and Hessenthaler especially just didn't stop running.    Earlier in the season the vast majority of us were questioning the logic in playing so few friendlies and looking very leggy as a result in the opening fixtures, now I'd back us to outrun every single team in our division.

Very exciting times.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
KingstonMariner
January 7, 2019, 2:14pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from diehardmariner
Make no mistake about it, Jolley is building something very special here.  

The bond between those players isn't something you can cobble together.  They are prepared to run through brick walls for each other, even the loan lads.  

I was apprehensive about what he was doing earlier in the season, especially when he couldn't seem to stick with a system and was favouring the older, slower players in his selections.  But since finding a system that works and going for a fresh, energetic approach we look a different animal.

Interesting how our fitness now seems one of our greatest strengths.  On Saturday Clifton and Hessenthaler especially just didn't stop running.    Earlier in the season the vast majority of us were questioning the logic in playing so few friendlies and looking very leggy as a result in the opening fixtures, now I'd back us to outrun every single team in our division.

Very exciting times.

I suspect a lot of the work went on unseen. Or at least was not apparent to us. One of the strengths to emerge has been the flexibility of the players. Look at how well they’ve adapted as a squad to the challenges posed by not only non-availability of defenders, but how they reacted so quickly in the game on Saturday to going a man down without any subs being made. Maybe some of the puzzling selections before were intended to prepare players mentally for unexpected circumstances and get them used to being out of their comfort zones. I think Bignot may have also been trying the same but the execution wasn’t at the same level.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
diehardmariner
January 7, 2019, 2:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,592
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I suspect a lot of the work went on unseen. Or at least was not apparent to us. One of the strengths to emerge has been the flexibility of the players. Look at how well they’ve adapted as a squad to the challenges posed by not only non-availability of defenders, but how they reacted so quickly in the game on Saturday to going a man down without any subs being made. Maybe some of the puzzling selections before were intended to prepare players mentally for unexpected circumstances and get them used to being out of their comfort zones. I think Bignot may have also been trying the same but the execution wasn’t at the same level.

Exactly!

The Bignot comparison is an interesting one.  I said to our travelling party after the game that it was really nice to see Jolley stand behind the players and applaud them but also let them take the praise from the fans, very classy.  I suspect Bignot would have rushed to the front and centre to take the plaudits himself.  
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
KingstonMariner
January 7, 2019, 4:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from diehardmariner

Exactly!

The Bignot comparison is an interesting one.  I said to our travelling party after the game that it was really nice to see Jolley stand behind the players and applaud them but also let them take the praise from the fans, very classy.  I suspect Bignot would have rushed to the front and centre to take the plaudits himself.  

They both even wear v-necked jumpers

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
monkeyboy
January 7, 2019, 5:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
I like Jolley and think he will do well before being poached, month or two back i was very worried but the ship turned and the team look to be gelling but still without really playing that well in the league.
We are only a couple of players away from being very very good league 2 side and hope Jolley gets a god contract to carry on his forward thinking work
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pivotal

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.