Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Back Four...........
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 316 Guests

Back Four...........

This thread currently has 6,866 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
January 4, 2019, 9:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,602
Gold Stars: 538
The back four we started with on New Years Day had 3 players playing out of position, we ended with all four playing out of position.  You just can't do that and expect to get away with it.  

Pollock may be young and inexperienced but he is a central defender, his coaching is tailored around that position.  RHJ and Hendrie aren't coached to play those positions, neither is Mitch Rose as a full-back.  I thought the back four did really well in the circumstances against Mansfield but it was evident that they weren't naturals.

Would it be too soon for Pollock?  Maybe.  It could also be the absolute making of the lad.  Just like I doubt he got over-excited by making his debut, I don't think he will get too downbeat if he does end up getting the run around.  The best way to learn is from mistakes and in the case of a footballer a proper doing over.  If he's good enough for the bench, he's good enough to start in my opinion.  Otherwise we might as well just name 3 subs and between the 14 we cover all positions one way or another.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
RichMariner
January 4, 2019, 10:24am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I can understand the calls to play Pollock - a natural central defender, did well at Exeter - but I can also understand that Jolley will want to protect him.

Jolley wouldn't want to look back and wonder if he ruined the lad's career by throwing him in at the deep end.

But this is where judgment comes in. Jolley and Woods will know far more about Pollock's mental toughness than we will.

From what I saw of the Exeter highlights, I wouldn't have a problem him starting tomorrow. In fact, I'd prefer him to start, limiting the number of players playing out of position. What's the absolute worst that could happen? The bloke he's marking scores a hat-trick.

Hat-tricks happen all the time in the league. We've all been saying that no one expects us to win tomorrow, so no harm will come from losing, or being given the run-around. Palace will get little credit for winning 5-0.

We've lost 5-0 there on a couple of occasions in the league.

I'd go with Hendrie at right back, Fox (if fit) or Woolford at left back (unless Ring is in contention) and then pair RHJ with Pollock. At least then we'd have two players playing in their natural roles.

Livvo was played at centre back when we were short of numbers - is there anyone in today's squad capable of doing such a job?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
sam gy
January 4, 2019, 10:34am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
I did wonder if John Welsh could do a job at centre back, as an experienced defensive midfielder. Guessing it's not an option though as i imagine he'd have been chucked on by now!

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
Mariner_09
January 4, 2019, 10:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Didn’t Dis drop in at centre half away at some non league side one afternoon? We don’t have that sort of player who knows the game well enough to just do that though.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
Davec
January 4, 2019, 10:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Sebastian Ring played in centre back several times in Sweden if he is fit and able to play
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 49
Hagrid
January 4, 2019, 10:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 534
I remember us playing Gary Jones at CB once. Think he got sent off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
Jarmo.Is.God
January 4, 2019, 10:50am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from mariner91

Think that would be extremely unfair on Hess who has been our best player in that position this season. Far more mobile and better on the ball than Welsh.

Was thinking more along

Rose  Hendrie  RHJ  Fox
               Welsh
Embleton Clifton Hess Pringle
                  Thomas
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 49
Tommy
January 4, 2019, 11:05am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from RichMariner
I can understand the calls to play Pollock - a natural central defender, did well at Exeter - but I can also understand that Jolley will want to protect him.

Jolley wouldn't want to look back and wonder if he ruined the lad's career by throwing him in at the deep end.

But this is where judgment comes in. Jolley and Woods will know far more about Pollock's mental toughness than we will.

From what I saw of the Exeter highlights, I wouldn't have a problem him starting tomorrow. In fact, I'd prefer him to start, limiting the number of players playing out of position. What's the absolute worst that could happen? The bloke he's marking scores a hat-trick.

Hat-tricks happen all the time in the league. We've all been saying that no one expects us to win tomorrow, so no harm will come from losing, or being given the run-around. Palace will get little credit for winning 5-0.

We've lost 5-0 there on a couple of occasions in the league.

I'd go with Hendrie at right back, Fox (if fit) or Woolford at left back (unless Ring is in contention) and then pair RHJ with Pollock. At least then we'd have two players playing in their natural roles.

Livvo was played at centre back when we were short of numbers - is there anyone in today's squad capable of doing such a job?

Agree with the above bits in bold. Although a half-fit Ring at LB might be a better option than Woolford as a left back.

I don't get the cliche'd comments of "if he had a bad game it could ruin his career/development." If he has the ability and the required mindset to make it as a pro (and everything points to the fact that he has), he will be fine regardless of any outcome tomorrow evening.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
Son of Cod
January 4, 2019, 11:05am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from 139847
What about Whitmore? I know he got carded, but does that apply to FA cup as well as league games?

Red cards apply across all competitions. They only changed it so that yellows are specific to individual competitions I think. Means he'll be back for the Macc match, though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
Youngy
January 4, 2019, 11:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,662
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from diehardmariner
The back four we started with on New Years Day had 3 players playing out of position, we ended with all four playing out of position.  You just can't do that and expect to get away with it.  

Pollock may be young and inexperienced but he is a central defender, his coaching is tailored around that position.  RHJ and Hendrie aren't coached to play those positions, neither is Mitch Rose as a full-back.  I thought the back four did really well in the circumstances against Mansfield but it was evident that they weren't naturals.

Would it be too soon for Pollock?  Maybe.  It could also be the absolute making of the lad.  Just like I doubt he got over-excited by making his debut, I don't think he will get too downbeat if he does end up getting the run around.  The best way to learn is from mistakes and in the case of a footballer a proper doing over.  If he's good enough for the bench, he's good enough to start in my opinion.  Otherwise we might as well just name 3 subs and between the 14 we cover all positions one way or another.

If one of Collins or Davies were fit to play alongside Pollock then yes, I would be tempted to start him. But expecting a 17 year old to play against a top 3 side or a Premier League team with no recognised centre back next to him and making his first 1st team start? That's asking way too much of the lad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Back Four...........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.