Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Salford!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 329 Guests

Salford!

This thread currently has 7,275 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
December 21, 2018, 12:32am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from GYinScuntland

So we hate the moneybags Prem and also any fcuker outside the Prem who has money.
Used to call it jealousy when I was a kid.

I’d say the surreptitious way that they’ve fronted a lower-league Frankenstein project with some tenuously-linked property developers in order to gather a) local support and (most importantly) b) money, whilst diminishing the role played by a billionaire with stakes in other clubs s particularly shameful. I also find the unrelenting genuflection of the BBC (that’s my money, btw) and Sky (some other mug’s money) at the altar of a bastardised non-league love story beyond the pale. These are the people paid to ask the meaningful questions and hold power to account for the good of the game and the good of Joe Bloggs on the street. What we’re treated to is a 24-7 praise-a-thon and the complete lack of any scrutiny  of the club. Am I jealous of Salford? Not on your life. A tin-pot, glorified Sunday league team who’ll disappear like Gretna when they’ve made a decent return. Literally not in our league.

Alternatively, it could be said nobody gives a fiddler’s fucck what you used to say in whatever century it was that you were a kid.  
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
GYinScuntland
December 21, 2018, 12:37am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from ska face

I’d say the surreptitious way that they’ve fronted a lower-league Frankenstein project with some tenuously-linked property developers in order to gather a) local support and (most importantly) b) money, whilst diminishing the role played by a billionaire with stakes in other clubs s particularly shameful. I also find the unrelenting genuflection of the BBC (that’s my money, btw) and Sky (some other mug’s money) at the altar of a bastardised non-league love story beyond the pale. These are the people paid to ask the meaningful questions and hold power to account for the good of the game and the good of Joe Bloggs on the street. What we’re treated to is a 24-7 praise-a-thon and the complete lack of any scrutiny  of the club. Am I jealous of Salford? Not on your life. A tin-pot, glorified Sunday league team who’ll disappear like Gretna when they’ve made a decent return. Literally not in our league.

Alternatively, it could be said nobody gives a fiddler’s fucck what you used to say in whatever century it was that you were a kid.  

That's told me then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
ska face
December 21, 2018, 6:49am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
lol deffo had a beer last night.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
buckstown
December 21, 2018, 8:49am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,180
Gold Stars: 79
I thinks it's ok that they decided to put the money into Salford when they could just as easily gone for one of the "sleeping giants". Wednesday, Sunderland, Portsmouth etc. would have made them more money a lot faster
I'd only be too pleased if someone similar did it with town. In fact when I win euromillions tonight most of it will be used to get us back to the championship in 5 years. I can see the crowds flocking to the Buckstown Arena down freemo. It's going to have a 16 story block of council flats on each corner for nostalgic purposes, but they won't have windows so the thieving toads won't be able to watch for free
I have a dream....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 21, 2018, 8:54am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Evidently Salford paid a £75K fee for him and strong rumour over here is that Lincoln bringing in about seven new players in January including Christian Doidge from Bolton.

Let’s hope that like with our signings when top of the conference bringing in new players causes disharmony rather than improvement. We need to turn them over in January to make my pub visits much more enjoyable 😄😄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
Mariner Timsky
December 21, 2018, 8:55am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
I like the idea , , a bit like Brentford with the pubs on each corner but you will have high rise flats instead!  

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
ginnywings
December 21, 2018, 9:09am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
A team who attract between 2 and 3 thousand fans can seemingly afford to pay transfer fees and wages way beyond the level for their league. Financial fair play is a joke, especially concerning a team backed by ex Prem players. That is my only gripe with Salford, and any other side for that matter, who have a totally unfair advantage over everyone else in their division. Add to that the press love in, and it's totally understandable that Salford, and similar "projects" attract some bile. I think i could manage Salford to promotion with their financial backing.

Edit to add that i know FFP doesn't yet apply in non league, but it should IMO. Once they get in they league proper, they will carry on in the same vein, i have no doubt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
Cloudy
December 21, 2018, 10:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Think it is double standards to ‘hate’ all the money in the Premiershipa but think the Salford money is ok.
For the record I would be totally against a Russian, Chinese, Thai billionaire buying GTFC and throwing money at it like confetti. Long held belief that in the interest of sustainability the only way forward is a true community club. May be a pipe dream but to have the community fully behind, and involved in the club, supporting on a match day, wearing their Town shirts day in day out, players engaging with the locals etc etc.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
jock dock tower
December 21, 2018, 11:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
It's not dissimilar to the way that Rushden and Diamonds bought their way into the Football League many moons ago, backed by Max Griggs the owner of Doc Martens boots. It's like the way Crawley bought their way into the League, like Fleetwood did similar, and no doubt AFC Fylde and others will do so in the future. Love it or loath it, it's a relatively cheap and easy way to off set you taxes and get superb amounts of unwarranted free advertising....and it obviously works.

Cove Rangers are doing it in the Highland League up here on crowds of less than 200, and are buying players from Aberdeen and others - one reputed to cost £30k - and paying wages way over and above what is paid elsewhere, including the lower ends of the Scottish League. Doesn't necessarily always got to plan as they found out when the mighty Auchinleck Talbot put paid to their Scottish Cup plans for this season

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 21, 2018, 1:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
What happens is that life is grand as long as moneybags is interested in his new toy. When things start to get a bit difficult then they start to get a bit difficult as well but they can afford to let the club suffer when they are walking away.

Salford is no different to Crawley or Fleetwood or any of the others except that there was a built-in animosity about the involvement of Neville and co.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Salford!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.