Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Salford!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 298 Guests

Salford!

This thread currently has 7,270 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Helgy
December 21, 2018, 3:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
Quoted from ginnywings
A team who attract between 2 and 3 thousand fans can seemingly afford to pay transfer fees and wages way beyond the level for their league. Financial fair play is a joke, especially concerning a team backed by ex Prem players. That is my only gripe with Salford, and any other side for that matter, who have a totally unfair advantage over everyone else in their division. Add to that the press love in, and it's totally understandable that Salford, and similar "projects" attract some bile. I think i could manage Salford to promotion with their financial backing.

Edit to add that i know FFP doesn't yet apply in non league, but it should IMO. Once they get in they league proper, they will carry on in the same vein, i have no doubt.

It is a joke FFP, just like Vince at FGR they must massage their figures to get within the league rules.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
marinerdazza
December 21, 2018, 3:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
Whatever, I hope Orient go up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
Bigdog
December 21, 2018, 3:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Cloudy
Think it is double standards to ‘hate’ all the money in the Premiership but think the Salford money is ok.
For the record I would be totally against a Russian, Chinese, Thai billionaire buying GTFC and throwing money at it like confetti. Long held belief that in the interest of sustainability the only way forward is a true community club. May be a pipe dream but to have the community fully behind, and involved in the club, supporting on a match day, wearing their Town shirts day in day out, players engaging with the locals etc etc.

I don't hate all of the money in the Premier League. The divvy up of the TV money I do. The stockpiling of players I do. The share that the Premier League clubs receive compared to the EFL is pure gluttony, but if an individual wants to invest in a football club then I'm fine with that. It's a free market after all. It's pretty simplistic, and in my opinion wrong to say that a billionnaire investor only throws money around like confetti when most don't and in reality invest in sustainable and affordable business models. The odd one or two don't work out, but plenty do. Let's paint them all with the nutter brush. It's also wrong to say that billionnaire-owned clubs don't have players engaging in the local community or communities don't got get behind those clubs and wear shirts day in day out, because they do. You only have to look as far as Leicester, Bournemouth or Brighton.

We have in effect a community based club here at GTFC already. Willing volunteers, Trust member having a seat on the board, YDA, Sport And Education Trust etc etc. It's not community owned, but even if it was I can't imagine much more could be achieved without significant outside investment. Would we suddenly get 7-8k home gates? Would 30 mill suddenly appear for a new stadium? Would there suddenly appear an extra army of 500 volunteers? It would be nice to think so, but in reality due to busy lives, it would remain nothing more than a pipe dream.

We can live on pipe dreams until we all eventually croak, we can all imagine that any new investor is some deranged lunatic that will throw around money like confetti, get bored and close the club down, we can all stereotype them til the cows come home. Reality lies somewhere in between. If anyone has amassed a fortune, they're generally not stupid and are fully aware of every single factor to make a football club a success, including having an inclusive community based agenda.

As football owners go, it's not purely about how much money an investor has got, whether lending a club 2 mil or pumping 40 or 50 mill to build a new stadium and beginning to build a football club up from a higher base level which expands the possibility of success, it's about the man himself and how he operates. Not every community based club has flourished either, many fall by the wayside too.

Let's hide behind stereotypes, be happy with our own lot, be smug in our principles and let the whole football world leave us behind eh? The reality for a club like ours to progress is to somehow find an investor who will give us a leg up into a new stadium, breathe new life and ideas into the club and engage in the community at the same time. It's not an either or for me, it's both hand in hand to get out of this hole we're in..

Where's this fan-led community based GTFC that everyone dreams about and writes about going to come from anyway? Because it's been fifteen years of shite at least and not a single person has even got their act together and put forward or launched a community based alternative to what we've got already..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
Posh Harry
December 21, 2018, 7:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
What happens is that life is grand as long as moneybags is interested in his new toy. When things start to get a bit difficult then they start to get a bit difficult as well but they can afford to let the club suffer when they are walking away.

Salford is no different to Crawley or Fleetwood or any of the others except that there was a built-in animosity about the involvement of Neville and co.

Imho Salford is different because they have got bbc spun king over everything they do. It’s is pathetic, like putting manure of tv for cup games no matter who they are playing for years.

I used to look to the bbc for truth and being upstanding. Nowadays they are just pathetic in pretty much everything they do (apart from the occasional good drama). It sickens me to the core 🙂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
KingstonMariner
December 21, 2018, 11:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Posh Harry

Imho Salford is different because they have got bbc spun king over everything they do. It’s is pathetic, like putting manure of tv for cup games no matter who they are playing for years.

I used to look to the bbc for truth and being upstanding. Nowadays they are just pathetic in pretty much everything they do (apart from the occasional good drama). It sickens me to the core 🙂

Salford FC (or whatever they are called) are the latter-day QPR. Popular with the BBC because they are round the corner.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
TownSNAFU5
December 22, 2018, 9:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
In other news - Salford lost at home today to mid-table Dag and Redbridge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
HertsGTFC
December 22, 2018, 9:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,883
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Salford FC (or whatever they are called) are the latter-day QPR. Popular with the BBC because they are round the corner.

Love it Chris......

The annoying thing is if they come up we'l never hear the fukin last of it.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
promotion plaice
December 22, 2018, 9:30pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
In other news - Salford lost at home today to mid-table Dag and Redbridge.

And Man City lost at home to some team called Crystal Palace  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
HertsGTFC
December 22, 2018, 10:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,883
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from promotion plaice

And Man City lost at home to some team called Crystal Palace  

Funny old game football.......That Crystal Palace look like the kind of team who could win away at the home of the Premier League mega spenders one week and get knocked out of the cup by the likes of “lowly Grimsby” the next. 🤔

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
LH
December 22, 2018, 11:02pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,457
Gold Stars: 172
It’s good for them that Palace have been buoyed by their big cup draw. Looked in real trouble a few weeks ago.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Salford!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.