5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
December 11, 2018, 8:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,182
Gold Stars: 51
Just a question to you all really in relation to the telegraph does anyone here still buy it daily or do you just read it online?
What do you buy it for as in what part of the paper do you want to read?

The reason for this post a friend of mine has written a column for 20 year`s on Angling and they are trying to do away with his page citing costs. He is of the opinion the paper in paper format is not long at all for this World and it will all go digital. To me having grown up with the paper and the sports paper,target,gazzette and it being last man standing so to speak will we miss it when it`s gone? I normally glance at the front page skim through turn to the back and read the bits on Town on to the death column and file it. I really miss the Saturday Sports Paper and have to say nothing online about local sport the digital age will never give us back what we had in my opinion with the local written press?
Logged Offline
Private Message
diehardmariner
December 11, 2018, 8:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +16,981
Gold Stars: 516
Let's put it this way, if it was announced tomorrow that the Grimsby Telegraph was to cease in its print format I think I would feel a bit of a nostalgic pang of pain.  But that would all it is, nostalgia.

I completely agree on the Sports Telegraph, that was a treat of sorts and was well written for many a year.  There was something magical about waiting for it around 6pm after a Town game for the full list of results and to see where we were in the table.  But all that is done on a mobile phone before you've even left the game now, even during the game to be fair.

The actual Telegraph is poor now, really really poor.  I can't remember the last time I bought it but when I visit my Grandad I tend to have a quick gander and I'm always disappointed with the content.  I think in this day in age the news is so fast that print editions just can't keep up.  I visit the online site on a fairly regular basis but the layout is dreadful and frustrating but the click-bait style articles do nothing for me so I end up scanning the front page and then I might read the odd story but nothing more.

I've no idea on circulation details but I would be surprised if the Grimsby Telegraph manages to survive much longer on a daily basis and expect it would follow the Scunthorpe edition in going weekly.  
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 40
Mariner Timsky
December 11, 2018, 8:53am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 4
Being an exile I use the online format, which imo is shocking, mainly to do with the adverts filling the page or even stopping me from actually reading an article

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 40
fishboyUTM
December 11, 2018, 9:22am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
You lads complaining about being able to read the online version. Do you use an ad blocker? I use Adblock Plus which is a free extension to Safari but I'd have thought there are versions for Internet Explorer and other browsers and it works a treat for the most part.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 40
Tommy
December 11, 2018, 9:44am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,850
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Just a question to you all really in relation to the telegraph does anyone here still buy it daily or do you just read it online?
What do you buy it for as in what part of the paper do you want to read?

The reason for this post a friend of mine has written a column for 20 year`s on Angling and they are trying to do away with his page citing costs. He is of the opinion the paper in paper format is not long at all for this World and it will all go digital. To me having grown up with the paper and the sports paper,target,gazzette and it being last man standing so to speak will we miss it when it`s gone? I normally glance at the front page skim through turn to the back and read the bits on Town on to the death column and file it. I really miss the Saturday Sports Paper and have to say nothing online about local sport the digital age will never give us back what we had in my opinion with the local written press?

Tell Tony to get a proper job!  

In all seriousness, not bought the Telegraph in ages.

It's a shambles now if you ask me. No better than tabloid rubbish, with one-sided stories written without any balance, facts or journalism involved in any of it.

Pure clickbait as their only concern is trying to get clicks so the adverts on their pages get seen. Hence the misleading headlines and constant non-stories about things they know people will write loads of comments on it (anything about bin collections, littering fines, new GTFC stadium etc etc).

Only used to read it for the Town stuff but that's all online to watch or listen to before the Telegraph put it out in drips and drabs through the week so there's never anything new in it.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 40
1mickylyons
December 11, 2018, 9:45am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,182
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from fishboyUTM
You lads complaining about being able to read the online version. Do you use an ad blocker? I use Adblock Plus which is a free extension to Safari but I'd have thought there are versions for Internet Explorer and other browsers and it works a treat for the most part.

Well in the case of angling I can`t find the page online to read is the problem I and thousands of others have.Usually the angling is in the Saturday paper and covers 2 pages so I go out and buy it most weeks. When you go on the http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk you can find all the stuff fairly easily but WTF the angling page is I have no idea .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 40
supertown
December 11, 2018, 9:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,409
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Being an exile I use the online format, which imo is shocking, mainly to do with the adverts filling the page or even stopping me from actually reading an article

Put adbloc on your phone or laptop etc , it works
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 40
Mariner Timsky
December 11, 2018, 9:50am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 4

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 40
Dan
December 11, 2018, 9:59am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
I read a copy the other day when one had somehow made itself to me down south.

Not much had changed in the 10 years since I last saw it, Tim Mickleburgh was talking about public transport, locals were complaining about how a new development will impact car parking, and 200 raw chickens were found on the nunny  

Seriously though, I couldn't actually finish reading it. It was like there wasn't a single positive thing in there.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 40
pizzzza
December 11, 2018, 10:15am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,621
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from Tommy

Tell Tony to get a proper job!  

Oooo look at me I'm on first name terms with a guy that writes a column in the Telegraph  
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 40
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Local News

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.