5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Grim74
December 11, 2018, 6:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
I used to remember when the telegraph was a serious paper but when you get excrement like this printed -

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/apology-sortland-norway-christmas-tree-2302196
Then you know the end cannot be far away.

Interesting to note that the clown editor who wrote this crap is also the editor of the Scunthorpe paper🤔

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 40
lukeo
December 11, 2018, 7:13pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,355
Gold Stars: 143
Is that a genuine article on the site? What the intercourse. I don't use foul language on here too often but seriously.. 'dead good' I used to say that when I was 5.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 40
promotion plaice
December 11, 2018, 8:01pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

We still get the Telegraph delivered because my wife likes to read it but I would cancel it if it was just for me, I get all my Town info/news through iFollow and NewsNow these days.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 40
Cloudy
December 12, 2018, 8:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
IMO. the paper version is much better than the online one.
I read most of it but mainly for town and local sports news.
I buy it everyday and think most days it's good value for 70p and I would be disappointed if stopped.
Unfortunately I only skim the angling as I know very little about it.
Is it somebody Sturman or similar?

Sturgeon perhaps?
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 40
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 12, 2018, 9:32am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Cloudy

Sturgeon perhaps?

Only in the Scottish edition.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
promotion plaice
December 12, 2018, 10:28am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
IMO. the paper version is much better than the online one.
I read most of it but mainly for town and local sports news.
I buy it everyday and think most days it's good value for 70p and I would be disappointed if stopped.
Unfortunately I only skim the angling as I know very little about it.
Is it somebody Sturman or similar?

It's Burman.....I used to live next door to his parents in Cleethorpes.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 40
Mallyner
December 12, 2018, 3:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,507
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Mainly buy it for Geoff Fords column on a Friday. Other than that, I only occasionally buy it.

I buy it to see if I'm in the deaths column, if I'm not I
carry on as usual.

I do buy it most days, although I tend to spoil it by looking on the website and knowing much of the news. I like the classifides, the local sport, property guide, but I find a lot of the articles which are no doubt written for the group, have prices for wines, goods, clothes etc which are not applicable to most people in our area, including me.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 40
grimsby pete
December 12, 2018, 4:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
When we first moved to Suffolk I had the sports telegraph delivered every week,

It arrived on a Monday and kept me in touch with what was happening footy wise.

We use to ask the family to save their telegraphs and when we popped up we use to take about 3 months supply to read at our leisure for when we got back here.

Now I read on line and use adblocker which makes reading it a lot easier.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 12, 2018, 5:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Quoted from Grim74
I used to remember when the telegraph was a serious paper but when you get excrement like this printed -

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/apology-sortland-norway-christmas-tree-2302196

Interesting to note that the clown editor who wrote this crap is also the editor of the Scunthorpe paper🤔

But this is typical of most local papers now Grim. The GT is no worse and no better than any other, especially the ones owned by the Mirror Group. The sad thing is that people seem prepared to accept it, I mean professional people within the industry. There was an advert at Archant for junior and senior reporters on the Suffolk papers the other week and the qualifications required did not even mention any qualification or ability to use English at all. Everything was about experience in data journalism and using social media sources. Most of the GT is written these days as though the reporter is sending an email to a mate, there seems to be very little pride in presentation.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
chaos33
December 12, 2018, 8:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from Grim74

Yeah and you know what? I blame capitalism. Suck it up. Free marketise everything and the weak go the wall, and the strong and the greedy thrive, and that's that. Advertising revenue and profit is everything. Watch the standards slip as money is strangled. You like that model, so you've no real place complaining.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Local News

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.