Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Draw
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 391 Guests

Draw

This thread currently has 37,505 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
December 3, 2018, 9:48pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from HackneyHaddock

Not 1/61

The probability of getting Man Utd away was 1 out of a possible 4032 pairings. ( (64 x 64)-64) so those moaning we didn't draw them is even more ridiculous.

I agree that it's a great Cup Tie and a good day down in London at one of the best atmosphere grounds in the Premier League.  We shouldn't win, but you never know!  We shouldn't have beaten Steve Bull's Wolves, or Middlesbrough, or West Ham either!

Your maths is wrong. The chances of the first tie out the hat being Man Utd v Grimsby is 1/(64x63) or 1/4032. But there are 32 ties all of which produce the same outcome (combinations not permutations if my mind stretches back to school). The chances of Man Utd being drawn at home is 1/2 and We are 1 of 63 possible opponents, so I think it is 1/(2 x 63) which is 1/126.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 150 - 212
KingstonMariner
December 3, 2018, 9:48pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Bit of a disappointing draw in a way. Was hoping for an 'easy' tie or a bigger money spinner. Not as bad as getting someone like Walsall though.

Still I'll be there. Subject to ticket availability.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 212
jock dock tower
December 3, 2018, 9:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
It's an omen....for a great cup run. I wasn't there, but well remember us beating Palace back in the League Cup back in 1965-6, and they were then Second Division while we in the Third - and that was in the days when the numbers genuinely meant what they said in terms of leagues. We then put four past both Bolton and Preston, who were also from the Second Division, and the atmosphere at those games was electric....and when we drew West Ham out of the hat with England captain Bobby Moore, and also Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst who would go and win the World Cup at the end of the season the town went crazy. Fairly sure there were around 16,000 there to witness us being unlucky not to gub West am, who were extremely lucky to go away with a 2-2 draw.

More of the same please.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 212
Swansea_Mariner
December 3, 2018, 9:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
What % of the gate money do the away club get?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 212
KingstonMariner
December 3, 2018, 9:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Away at Palace reminds me of many visits to this place in the 90s and early noughties.

https://www.whatpub.com/pubs/CRO/11494/cherry-tree-south-norwood

Always used to be a good laugh in there. Mixed Town and Palace fans. Says they don't allow away fans. Ironic when it was a Palace fan who assaulted the landlady's daughter there in 2012!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 212
Bristol Mariner

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
great draw, can't understand some of the negative comments. Prem League club, will be a great day out.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 212
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It could be a lot worse couldn’t it?

My mind went back to the 70s when they came to BP with Malcolm Allison in charge. He took the team to the Kingsway and they wouldn’t serve him dinner unless he went and put a tie on! He wore his fedora at the match but I think he sat in the stand, maybe it wouldn’t fit in the dug out or maybe it was his head that was too big.

They had just come down to Div 3 and led us for much of the game before we equalised and Jim Lumby got the winner. Palace had at least one sent off and Big Mal went ballistic.  I remember we had Keith Brown, another Nunsthorpe lad like Fordy, on the left wing and he might have got the other goal.

A game like that would make for a good day out.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 212
Stadium
December 3, 2018, 10:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,925
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
What % of the gate do the away club get?

Up to 15% subject to subject to the local Safety Advisory Group,police etc.
Generally at palace its around 3700.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 212
Cloudy
December 3, 2018, 10:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
It could be a lot worse couldn’t it?

My mind went back to the 70s when they came to BP with Malcolm Allison in charge. He took the team to the Kingsway and they wouldn’t serve him dinner unless he went and put a tie on! He wore his fedora at the match but I think he sat in the stand, maybe it wouldn’t fit in the dug out or maybe it was his head that was too big.

They had just come down to Div 3 and led us for much of the game before we equalised and Jim Lumby got the winner. Palace had at least one sent off and Big Mal went ballistic.  I remember we had Keith Brown, another Nunsthorpe lad like Fordy, on the left wing and he might have got the other goal.

A game like that would make for a good day out.

3 sendings off that game, possibly Alan Whittle, Jim Cannon and Mike Czuczman???
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 212
Perkins
December 3, 2018, 10:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Palace have a late ko against Wolves on the 2nd of Jan so a fair bet the game will be moved to Sunday.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 212
22 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Draw

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.