fishboyUTM
November 12, 2018, 5:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Townee82
Hurst left Boston under dubious circumstances , left us behind a cover of smoke and mirrors (Doig knew nothing by the way) so what did the shrews expect when it comes to loyalty money really does talk especially for Hursty .

At the end of the day, we're all in it for ourselves. As a young bloke, I was devastated when Alan Buckley left for WBA. He took Arthur Mann, our skipper Grovesy, Dave Gilbert and other Town stalwarts of the time. He tried desperately to sign Clive Mendonca and I saw it as an act of utter betrayal then.

As you get older, you realise although GTFC is my club, and always will be, for the managers, players and staff although I'm sure they have some affection for the club for the most part, it is a job to them and their livelyhoods. WBA was progression for Alan, Shrewsbury seen as progression by Hurst (or more likely, he just wanted out of the circus). Can't blame Hurst for being a bit of a snake. He will need to learn that getting fans onside is part of his job very quickly though as when it goes wrong, the fans will be that much quicker to turn on you if you've cupped your ears to them etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 58
Townee82
November 13, 2018, 7:36am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +87
Quoted from fishboyUTM

At the end of the day, we're all in it for ourselves. As a young bloke, I was devastated when Alan Buckley left for WBA. He took Arthur Mann, our skipper Grovesy, Dave Gilbert and other Town stalwarts of the time. He tried desperately to sign Clive Mendonca and I saw it as an act of utter betrayal then.

As you get older, you realise although GTFC is my club, and always will be, for the managers, players and staff although I'm sure they have some affection for the club for the most part, it is a job to them and their livelyhoods. WBA was progression for Alan, Shrewsbury seen as progression by Hurst (or more likely, he just wanted out of the circus). Can't blame Hurst for being a bit of a snake. He will need to learn that getting fans onside is part of his job very quickly though as when it goes wrong, the fans will be that much quicker to turn on you if you've cupped your ears to them etc.

I don't support GTFC out of any selfish notion and spend my hard earned there to benefit my own finances , I would never switch my allegence to some money bags team , I cannot obviously begin to understand how you are wired up but there you go .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 58
fishboyUTM
November 13, 2018, 9:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Townee82

I don't support GTFC out of any selfish notion and spend my hard earned there to benefit my own finances , I would never switch my allegence to some money bags team , I cannot obviously begin to understand how you are wired up but there you go .

Read my post again. Are you all there?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 58
Townee82
November 13, 2018, 11:28am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +87
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Read my post again. Are you all there?

When people can relate to unsavoury traits of fellow humans it red flags their own morals .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 58
RichMariner
November 13, 2018, 12:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Brown would've been a short-term fix last season. Get us over the line, keep us safe, then any sort of poor start this season would've seen the end of him.

At least now we're starting from the same point but with a manager who's been here for eight months already - he knows the club, knows the people, and is already eight months into his long-term plan.

Jolley is the best we can hope for at the moment. A young, up-and-coming manager with the right sort of attitude and philosophy towards home-grown talent. That's the thing that's most likely to make us money and keep us sustainable in the long-term.

If he can find a few more gems like Embleton but get them on our books permanently - or develop Clifton, Wright and Rose to the point where they're worth a few hundred grand then great - reinvest the money back in the squad and youth system and we gradually get stronger.

In the meantime we might continue to middle out in the fourth division. But we're building slowly behind the scenes - something I doubt Brown could've offered.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 24 - 58
psgmariner
November 13, 2018, 12:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Paul Hurst's odds a tumbling for the AFCW job. From 12/1 to 5/2 this morning.

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 13, 2018, 12:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Townee82

When people can relate to unsavoury traits of fellow humans it red flags their own morals .

Presumably you believe Hurst should have stayed at Boston out of loyalty?

There is a slight difference between the fan who can opt out of loyalty with no financial penalty and the professional manager or player who takes his wage from the game to support his family. The key word is professional. They are not Corinthian Casuals with a day job, they need the cash.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 58
Abdul19
November 13, 2018, 1:03pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Maybe Townee82's the 36 year old paper boy I see knocking about?  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 58
rancido
November 13, 2018, 1:33pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96

He was negotiating his Ipswich switch behind the owner’s back, allegedly. Then he went back for Nolan & Toto.

Well it seems like Hurst and " Nearly Man " Slade had a lot in common then !

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 58
Cloudy
November 13, 2018, 1:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Kewell sacked at Notts County. That has Paul Hurst written all over it to me
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Phil Brown

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.