HertsGTFC
November 11, 2018, 7:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
I think we dodged a bullet there

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 58
November 11, 2018, 7:10pm
Guest User
And
Reply: 3 - 58
marinerdazza
November 11, 2018, 7:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,781
Gold Stars: 81
Doesn’t bear thinking about. So glad we went the way we did. Whether or not it was originally intended.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 58
jamesgtfc
November 11, 2018, 7:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from marinerdazza
Doesn’t bear thinking about. So glad we went the way we did. Whether or not it was originally intended.

In recent games we have had spells where we have played some good football. Trouble at this level is you have to earn the right to play football. I hope we can stick with Jolley because in another 2/3 transfer windows we could have a great team, playing some good football with at least another youth graduate in there too.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 11, 2018, 7:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from jamesgtfc

In recent games we have had spells where we have played some good football. Trouble at this level is you have to earn the right to play football. I hope we can stick with Jolley because in another 2/3 transfer windows we could have a great team, playing some good football with at least another youth graduate in there too.

It needs to be a great team that gets results. If there is good football too then that is a bonus.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 58
louth_in_the_south
November 11, 2018, 8:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,651
Gold Stars: 94
Beat York and get sacked . Obviously didn’t beat them by enough

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 58
thevera
November 11, 2018, 8:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +991
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Completely agree James but unfortunately we are just one bad spell from the usual crowd calling for his head and putting pressure on him or more likely the  board to make a knee jerk decision and we are back to square one. I firmly believe we have a good one in Michael Jolley but he needs time. And by time i mean at least another 16 months. My hope for this season is to not get in a position of danger of relegation. I just wish others on this forum would be as patient.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 58
jamesgtfc
November 11, 2018, 8:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from thevera

Completely agree James but unfortunately we are just one bad spell from the usual crowd calling for his head and putting pressure on him or more likely the  board to make a knee jerk decision and we are back to square one. I firmly believe we have a good one in Michael Jolley but he needs time. And by time i mean at least another 16 months. My hope for this season is to not get in a position of danger of relegation. I just wish others on this forum would be as patient.

Bignot was a long term appointment but there were some bizarre things going on; such as the Doncaster selection, the Macca/Bignot fiasco on Humberside, telling all and sundry that players like Clifton were under contract for the following season when they were not.

It is great to see Jolley putting so much faith in young players and it would be great to see more players come through and cement a place in the first team. In order for this to happen, we as fans need to be patient. The signs are there and I am convinced Jolley will improve our squad in January.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 58
mimma
November 11, 2018, 10:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
When we talk about giving managers time, let us not forget that when Sir Alan Buckley fist took over he had the same sort of performances as Jolley is getting now. Fans were calling for his head but we stuck with Sir Alan, and the rest, as they say is history.

As for Bignot, it was clear early on that he didn't have a clue and was out of his depth. He also came out with some rubbish after games and often contradicted himself. You could see that it was never going to work for him. As for Sir Alan and Jolley you can see some improvements and a little bit of good football in with inconsistency, Nothing that time and hard work can't fix. That's the difference between them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 58
pen penfras
November 12, 2018, 7:35am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from thevera

Are this board really known for knee jerk decisions? Hurst had lots of time to achieve what was wanted and there were plenty of fans with knee jerk reactions that wanted him gone. Slade got given lots of time to turn it around, but was unable to and the decision had to be made, but it certainly wasn't knee jerk. If anything, I'd say the board have been a little bit too patient, Slade should have gone earlier although it ultimately didn't cost us relegation.

The only "knee jerk" reaction I can think of is Bignot, but if the rumours of what he was doing are true, which it seems likely that they are given his dismissal, then it was the correct decision to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 58
Townee82
November 12, 2018, 9:00am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +87
We are on a journey with Mr jolley ,we need the patience to see it through , if we do in the near future dispence with Mr jolleys services expect the likes of Brown or Slade to take over and i for one do not want to return to the jobs for mates , old boys retirement home , wage thieves and journeyman roulette of their style of management , it will come good under the current management but not over night .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 58
marinerdazza
November 12, 2018, 10:24am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Agree completely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 12, 2018, 11:12am
Special Brew Drinker
It’s roundabout time again. Yes,given 6 years Jolley might achieve something good. What do the fans do in the meantime? Sit and nod sagely during the bad spells and say “Don’t worry lads, only another 5 years to go and we’ll be in the playoffs”?

Unless Jolley gets some money from somewhere neither he nor anyone else is going to shift the club forwards in 6 months, 6 years or 60 years no matter how many wise men tell us to be patient.

Accrington won (again) at the weekend and one very pertinent comment was made by some pundit on the telly - Andy Holt the owner restructured the club and this gave John Coleman more financial freedom. If they can do this sort of thing why cannot we?

The money Accrington got from the sell off clause on Brett Ormerod was the thing that got them moving. Buckley’s sale of Andy Tillson to QPR for a massive sum in those days of 1990 was what gave him the cash to make things happen faster and better and keep a side together. We have seen good transfer money come in during the past 2 - 3 seasons but where has it gone? If it really has gone to managers we have seen precious little for it on the pitch and we are back in the land of hoping Jolley plays youngsters and moaning that no-one wants to come here.

I am not anti-Jolley. He could come good. But he has no more chance than Slade, Brown or anyone else while his finances are so tied up that even if he sold someone for £2m he would not get more than a tenth back to spend.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 58
Cloudy
November 12, 2018, 1:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Neal Ardley left as AFC Wimbledon manager today by 'mutual consent'
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 58
psgmariner
November 12, 2018, 2:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
And Askey has left Shrewsbury.

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 58
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
November 12, 2018, 2:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from psgmariner
And Askey has left Shrewsbury.

Just read their forums, alot of them dead against having hurst back, not sure what the backstory to that is
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 12, 2018, 2:31pm
Special Brew Drinker

Just read their forums, alot of them dead against having hurst back, not sure what the backstory to that is

He was negotiating his Ipswich switch behind the owner’s back, allegedly. Then he went back for Nolan & Toto.

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 58
Townee82
November 12, 2018, 4:16pm
Beer Drinker
Hurst left Boston under dubious circumstances , left us behind a cover of smoke and mirrors (Doig knew nothing by the way) so what did the shrews expect when it comes to loyalty money really does talk especially for Hursty .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 58
fishboyUTM
November 12, 2018, 5:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Townee82
Hurst left Boston under dubious circumstances , left us behind a cover of smoke and mirrors (Doig knew nothing by the way) so what did the shrews expect when it comes to loyalty money really does talk especially for Hursty .

At the end of the day, we're all in it for ourselves. As a young bloke, I was devastated when Alan Buckley left for WBA. He took Arthur Mann, our skipper Grovesy, Dave Gilbert and other Town stalwarts of the time. He tried desperately to sign Clive Mendonca and I saw it as an act of utter betrayal then.

As you get older, you realise although GTFC is my club, and always will be, for the managers, players and staff although I'm sure they have some affection for the club for the most part, it is a job to them and their livelyhoods. WBA was progression for Alan, Shrewsbury seen as progression by Hurst (or more likely, he just wanted out of the circus). Can't blame Hurst for being a bit of a snake. He will need to learn that getting fans onside is part of his job very quickly though as when it goes wrong, the fans will be that much quicker to turn on you if you've cupped your ears to them etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 58
Townee82
November 13, 2018, 7:36am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from fishboyUTM

At the end of the day, we're all in it for ourselves. As a young bloke, I was devastated when Alan Buckley left for WBA. He took Arthur Mann, our skipper Grovesy, Dave Gilbert and other Town stalwarts of the time. He tried desperately to sign Clive Mendonca and I saw it as an act of utter betrayal then.

As you get older, you realise although GTFC is my club, and always will be, for the managers, players and staff although I'm sure they have some affection for the club for the most part, it is a job to them and their livelyhoods. WBA was progression for Alan, Shrewsbury seen as progression by Hurst (or more likely, he just wanted out of the circus). Can't blame Hurst for being a bit of a snake. He will need to learn that getting fans onside is part of his job very quickly though as when it goes wrong, the fans will be that much quicker to turn on you if you've cupped your ears to them etc.

I don't support GTFC out of any selfish notion and spend my hard earned there to benefit my own finances , I would never switch my allegence to some money bags team , I cannot obviously begin to understand how you are wired up but there you go .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 58
fishboyUTM
November 13, 2018, 9:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Townee82

I don't support GTFC out of any selfish notion and spend my hard earned there to benefit my own finances , I would never switch my allegence to some money bags team , I cannot obviously begin to understand how you are wired up but there you go .

Read my post again. Are you all there?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 58
Townee82
November 13, 2018, 11:28am
Beer Drinker
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Read my post again. Are you all there?

When people can relate to unsavoury traits of fellow humans it red flags their own morals .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 58
RichMariner
November 13, 2018, 12:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,141
Gold Stars: 209
Brown would've been a short-term fix last season. Get us over the line, keep us safe, then any sort of poor start this season would've seen the end of him.

At least now we're starting from the same point but with a manager who's been here for eight months already - he knows the club, knows the people, and is already eight months into his long-term plan.

Jolley is the best we can hope for at the moment. A young, up-and-coming manager with the right sort of attitude and philosophy towards home-grown talent. That's the thing that's most likely to make us money and keep us sustainable in the long-term.

If he can find a few more gems like Embleton but get them on our books permanently - or develop Clifton, Wright and Rose to the point where they're worth a few hundred grand then great - reinvest the money back in the squad and youth system and we gradually get stronger.

In the meantime we might continue to middle out in the fourth division. But we're building slowly behind the scenes - something I doubt Brown could've offered.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 24 - 58
psgmariner
November 13, 2018, 12:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Paul Hurst's odds a tumbling for the AFCW job. From 12/1 to 5/2 this morning.

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 13, 2018, 12:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Townee82

When people can relate to unsavoury traits of fellow humans it red flags their own morals .

Presumably you believe Hurst should have stayed at Boston out of loyalty?

There is a slight difference between the fan who can opt out of loyalty with no financial penalty and the professional manager or player who takes his wage from the game to support his family. The key word is professional. They are not Corinthian Casuals with a day job, they need the cash.

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 58
Abdul19
November 13, 2018, 1:03pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Maybe Townee82's the 36 year old paper boy I see knocking about?  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 58
rancido
November 13, 2018, 1:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96

He was negotiating his Ipswich switch behind the owner’s back, allegedly. Then he went back for Nolan & Toto.

Well it seems like Hurst and " Nearly Man " Slade had a lot in common then !

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 58
Cloudy
November 13, 2018, 1:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Kewell sacked at Notts County. That has Paul Hurst written all over it to me
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 58
rancido
November 13, 2018, 1:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Townee82

So if you were offered a better job on more money and a higher status you wouldn't accept it ? Pull the other one !!!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 58
Maringer
November 13, 2018, 2:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,400
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from Cloudy
Kewell sacked at Notts County. That has Paul Hurst written all over it to me

Pretty close to South Yorkshire, so his ideal appointment, I'd imagine. A job tailor made for him, in the first season at least - stop the rot, grind out some results and climb to mid-table.

He'll then probably fail to sign the striker he's looking for during the close season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 58
Les Brechin
November 13, 2018, 3:37pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Maringer

Pretty close to South Yorkshire, so his ideal appointment, I'd imagine. A job tailor made for him, in the first season at least - stop the rot, grind out some results and climb to mid-table.

He'll then probably fail to sign the striker he's looking for during the close season!

Omar will probably be looking for a League 2 club again next season!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 58
Mariner Timsky
November 13, 2018, 3:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Speaking of Omar does he still play games!?!

Surprised he isn't on loan to a League 1 club

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 58
Cloudy
November 13, 2018, 3:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Speaking of Omar does he still play games!?!

Surprised he isn't on loan to a League 1 club

Made the odd sub appearnace for Brum I think but not in the last few weeks. Think he may be on loan for the season their from Cardiff?
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 58
Paris Mariner
November 13, 2018, 4:30pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from Cloudy

Made the odd sub appearnace for Brum I think but not in the last few weeks. Think he may be on loan for the season their from Cardiff?

Indeed he is.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 35 - 58
marinerdazza
November 13, 2018, 4:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Warnock has described Bogle as a "project". Read into that what you like.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 58
fishboyUTM
November 13, 2018, 6:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Townee82

Keep taking the pills. I wish you well in your recovery.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 58
KingstonMariner
November 13, 2018, 7:29pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer

He hasn’t signed the Shop for a while

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 58
golfer
November 13, 2018, 7:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
I wish we had
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 58
chaos33
November 13, 2018, 9:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from Les Brechin

Hurst doesn't really rate Omar.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 58
KingstonMariner
November 13, 2018, 10:01pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from golfer
I wish we had

That’s the answer to our goal drought!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 58
fishboyUTM
November 13, 2018, 10:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

Not until his contract is up. He must be on at least 10k a week as a Championship striker who commanded a seven figure fee. Set up for life unless he's dafter than he looks. He's a league one forward IMO, with potential to go one better. Though at 25, he's career has stalled over the last 18 months or so. He needs to push on soon. I think he's at the wrong club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 58
Gibson617
November 14, 2018, 1:56am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +19
Feel guilty for not supporting much this season but if you people  have faith with MJ then keep passing the news to the rest of  us " doubting Thomases"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 58
arryarryarry
November 14, 2018, 1:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from golfer
I wish we had

LJL?

Scored 3 goals in 30 appearances for Newport and 3 goals in 42 appearances for Shrewsbury.

You don't like seeing us score goals then?
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 14, 2018, 2:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That’s the answer to our goal drought!

That’s what I thought! We don’t even need him to take penalties and definitely not to show our current bunch how to take goal chances.

Private Message
Reply: 45 - 58
KingstonMariner
November 14, 2018, 9:49pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

LJL?

Scored 3 goals in 30 appearances for Newport and 3 goals in 42 appearances for Shrewsbury.

I think those who said Podge was 'a flat track bully' who could only score against lower opposition and that he wouldn't hack it in the League, must have confused him for Lennie.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 58
golfer
November 14, 2018, 10:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from arryarryarry

LJL?

Haven't seen us score many
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 58
KingstonMariner
November 14, 2018, 10:35pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from golfer

Haven't seen us score many

So the solution to having non-scoring strikers is to sign another one.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 58
Maringer
November 14, 2018, 11:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Amond was certainly a bit of a 'flat track bully' in the Conference. A very good one, of course, but his scoring record there shows that he didn't get goals against teams at the top end of the table - lots against the weaker teams, of course. Might have been down to the ability of our team in general to some degree, I suppose.

He's doing quite well goals-wise in the League which isn't a huge surprise as he did quite well in the League when at Accrington and Morecambe before he even joined us.

Few goals against the better teams and most of them coming against the bottom clubs, but then that's probably true for most strikers.

His goals per start are pretty much identical now in comparison to his previous League stint, though he obviously made a lot more sub appearances back then and I seem to recall he was played out wide at times. Oddly enough his best goals/game ratio in the League was with Hartlepool, the season they went down!

A pity he didn't stay as I imagine he'd possibly have scored a dozen plus goals a season for us if he had, but I can sort of understand why Hurst didn't bust a gut to keep him. A decision obviously proved a mistake when we weren't able to sign a suitable replacement.

As for LJL, I'd have him back in a flash if he was capable of playing week-in, week-out whilst putting in the same amount of work as during his time at BP. Not for his goals, pretty obviously, but for space his efforts would create for the likes of Thomas. His record at Shrewsbury would seem to indicate he gets onto the pitch from the bench a lot but rarely starts games. Too high a level for him or just not fit enough after his injury problems at Newport, I wonder?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 58
KingstonMariner
November 15, 2018, 11:26am
Meths Drinker
So you agree that Podge’s scoring record since he left us is poor and proof he can’t hack it at League 2 level as the ‘flat track bully’ brigade would have it? Jeez.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 58
jamesgtfc
November 15, 2018, 12:01pm
Vodka Drinker
So you agree that Podge’s scoring record since he left us is poor and proof he can’t hack it at League 2 level as the ‘flat track bully’ brigade would have it? Jeez.

Hasn't he scored more goals than all our strikers since combined?*

*Excluding Bogle.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 58
KingstonMariner
November 15, 2018, 12:49pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Hasn't he scored more goals than all our strikers since combined?*

*Excluding Bogle.

Exactly the point I was alluding to.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
Maringer
November 15, 2018, 3:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Wow, that is almost the exact opposite of what I said. Not quite sure how you took that out of my post.

I certainly don't think a striker who scores 12 to 15 League goals a season can't hack it at that particular level as I'm not in the "you're not a good striker if you don't score 20" camp. As everyone knows, we've not had a striker score near that but for Bogle since we returned to the League. Perhaps not surprising given how the forward line has chopped and changed since then as the goals haven't come.

The worth of LJL is an entirely different point. Some stick to the belief that he's rubbish (and many thought the same about JLAA in his day), but I disagree. I think that a player such as Podge or Bogle would welcome playing alongside him.

I wonder how many who didn't rate LJL are happy to see Cardwell back playing again? Cardwell works hard for the team but barely gets close to scoring and I'm pleased to see him return to the squad to provide a different option, but I'd pick a fit LJL over him every single day of the week.

I have high hopes for Thomas now he's fit and up to speed (i.e. I'm hoping for more than a dozen League goals this season), but he's not going to show us what he can do as long as he's spending so much time outside the box and trying to lead the line.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 15, 2018, 3:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Wow, that is almost the exact opposite of what I said. Not quite sure how you took that out of my post.

I certainly don't think a striker who scores 12 to 15 League goals a season can't hack it at that particular level as I'm not in the "you're not a good striker if you don't score 20" camp. As everyone knows, we've not had a striker score near that but for Bogle since we returned to the League. Perhaps not surprising given how the forward line has chopped and changed since then as the goals haven't come.

The worth of LJL is an entirely different point. Some stick to the belief that he's rubbish (and many thought the same about JLAA in his day), but I disagree. I think that a player such as Podge or Bogle would welcome playing alongside him.

I wonder how many who didn't rate LJL are happy to see Cardwell back playing again? Cardwell works hard for the team but barely gets close to scoring and I'm pleased to see him return to the squad to provide a different option, but I'd pick a fit LJL over him every single day of the week.

I have high hopes for Thomas now he's fit and up to speed (i.e. I'm hoping for more than a dozen League goals this season), but he's not going to show us what he can do as long as he's spending so much time outside the box and trying to lead the line.

I was never a great LJL fan but I do agree with you about his work rate and space making for other strikers. The problem he had here was playing for a manager who believes goalscorers are by definition idle sods who rarely do the primary job of a striker which in his eyes is to defend. The result was LJL was often the only poor bu99er within 40 yards of the opposition goal and miles away from the rest of his team. I think that with a more open minded manager he could have been a Heskey like player for us, chipping in with the odd goal but creating a lot for others in the box.

Private Message
Reply: 54 - 58
Abdul19
November 15, 2018, 3:53pm

Season Ticket Holder
Isn't that exactly what he became? He scored 18 National League goals in his last season (yes, I know he missed another 73 decent chances) and Palmer scored a good amount in half a season playing off him.  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 15, 2018, 5:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
Isn't that exactly what he became? He scored 18 National League goals in his last season (yes, I know he missed another 73 decent chances) and Palmer scored a good amount in half a season playing off him.  

Take off the penalties to get a proper goal count from open play.

Private Message
Reply: 56 - 58
Abdul19
November 15, 2018, 6:11pm

Season Ticket Holder

Take off the penalties to get a proper goal count from open play.

14. The point stands.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 15, 2018, 8:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

14. The point stands.

It would do if someone else had scored double that or another 2 players had both equalled it, that was the problem.

Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Phil Brown

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.