lee65
November 10, 2018, 6:51pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Out of interest... Was it MK Dons' regular starting XI?

Humberside said that  starting 11 played in their  last League game I think
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
golfer
November 10, 2018, 7:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
Thought we were going to get hammered with Gilby spraying the ball around and dishing out orders. Second half completely different.Don't know what made Jolly change into an attacking team for the first time this season,but we want more of it. Only 1800 home supporters but made more noise than at anytime this season.   To sum up in 3 words-FAN TAS TIC.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
jimgtfc
November 10, 2018, 7:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,087
Gold Stars: 45
Cracking win, not only for the confidence that will give the players but it also gives us a few quid and a welcome distraction from the league for a bit. We started slow for the first 20 odd minutes but had an excellent spell once they had decided to move off the ball when we have it. It didn’t look to me like the ball had gone out of play, and a player of Collins’ experience should’ve dealt with that much better, although he definitely redeemed himself later on in the game.

Second half we had a much higher tempo working the ball towards their third of the pitch, energy in the centre of the field in the shape of Hess and Harry certainly helped push them back when we were in possession. I loved the way Pringle and Embleton just drifted in of the flanks into little pockets of space to drag them out of shape. It finally worked for Embleton’s excellent goal. Fantastic strike, but credit to Pringle for the overlapping run which pulled the full back across to open the space for the shot. They’re both very clever, calm and technical player and if we can find a way of letting them play like they did second half then we might finally find some of that missing creativity. Thomas had a good game and showed the type of striker he can be when we produce quality balls into the box, him and Vernam’s work rate stopped them playing out from the back as much as they wanted to and they often had to resort to a longer ball, leaving gaps in midfield for us to exploit if we won the ball. Back 4 were solid apart from the DC incident, with Famewo showing great pace and athleticism after an erratic start, and Harry Davis showed no signs of rustyness after his spell out. Good to see Harry Cardwell get a run out too!

An excellent and unexpected win if I’m honest, let’s hope for a decent draw on Monday and a similar performance next week!

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
headingly_mariner
November 10, 2018, 7:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Thoroughly enjoyed that. Had a right go at them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
KingstonMariner
November 10, 2018, 8:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from golfer
To sum up in 3 words-FAN TAS TIC.

Thank you Craig Revell-Horwood.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
Maringer
November 10, 2018, 8:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,504
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Collins shouldn't have tried to shield the ball out for the goal but in his defence, it was well over the line.

The problem was that he didn't try to shield it out. He thought it was going to run so did some sort of ridiculous step over which allowed their player to nip in. If he had tried to shield it out, their player wouldn't have had a sniff of getting it.

Interesting game and I'd say it wasn't exactly a game of two halves but one of three thirds! They were much better for the first half hour and we didn't get near them as they passed it around accurately and had good movement throughout. Despite this, their only real chances (other than set pieces) came from our own errors. They were tidy, but really lacking in any creative play and their strikers didn't create anything themselves.

We were the better team after the first 30 minutes, though obviously more of a threat in the second half. A cracker from Embleton, good poaching from Thomas and great play from Clifton for the third. Very noticeable that Pringle dropped a lot deeper and was dictating much of the play from midfield in the second half. Not sure most teams in our division would give us quite that much space in the middle of the field, but we used it well.

Finally, its good to see Cardwell return as it does at least give us an option of sticking a big bloke up front to mix it up with the opposition defence. Thomas does his best to lead the line but its not really his game and we need to see more of him in the box.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
LH
November 10, 2018, 9:01pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,509
Gold Stars: 173
Well at half time given some of the second half performances we’ve witnessed this season I was dreading what we were going to witness but that was brilliant.

Three good goals but the pick of them for me was scored by Embleton. What a player he’s going to be in the future. Could have had a couple today. Have we ever had a player as accurate with both feet as he is?

It’s a change to be happy after a cup game supporting Town over the last few years! Let’s hope it’s a winnable tie next round and hopefully we can dream of Old Trafford, Anfield, The Emirates etc after that match.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
FishOutOfWater
November 10, 2018, 9:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Just back in myself not too long ago....a long day travelling to and from BP but what a great afternoon I've had  

The posts above sum it all up already but just want to say how worthwhile it proved to be going to the game where to be honest I thought a draw would have been a good achievement given their standing this season

The first 20 minutes or so of the second half Town totally played the Dongs off the park.... without any shadow of a doubt, we fully deserved our three goals and the win

Just hope we can carry on this sort of performance in the league...before the match all I hoped was that we gave as good an account of ourselves as we did back at the Stadium MT in August.... apart from their goal, we surpassed it

Looking forward to the draw on Monday night.... ,maybe this will be our turn to get some footballing fortune at last

UTM GTID
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 33
golfer
November 10, 2018, 9:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Thank you Craig Revell-Horwood.

Keep it to yourself  Darling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
AndyGTFC
November 10, 2018, 10:05pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Terrific win. It was the best football seen all season in the second half. Some cracking goals and Embleton, Thomas and Pringle all impressed.

Just a shame so few people were there to see it. I was actually quite surprised with the attendance but I guess you can’t blame people with the prices and how we’ve been as of late!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.