4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
November 10, 2018, 10:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
Well done to the players but equally well done to MJ as he must have said a few things at half time as well as getting the defense to hold a higher line which is unusual for a GTFC side but alongside what looked like a shape change to provide both Pringle and Embleton among others a bit more freedom on the ball made for great 2nd half.  

The first half was very frustrating with Macca making his statutory 1 on 1 save early on and it looked like Town where just sticking to a rigid game plan which resulted in too many passes sideways/backwards, no attacking runners through the channels and nobody really running beyond the ball. It just looked like we couldn't work out how to break them down. though we did "keep us shape" better than at Mansfield us shape didn't do us any favors.

At times we could  have advanced with the ball at our feet into their penalty area instead of a couple of powder puff shots and a few balls hoisted into the box for their tall if immobile defense to deal with. Disappointed with Collins for their goal as 38 years old's are arguably more suited to putting the ball out rather than trying to have fleet of foot to run it out.  

The second half it looked like the hand break had been taken off with the players having a bit more freedom and actually enjoying it a bit more. Town did better without the ball and where more dynamic with their movement and tempo in possession for the spell from the break to the 3rd, all that said the catalyst to the win was a moment of brilliance from Embelton, as soon as the ball left his foot you could see it was going in. This kid is some player at this level and I hope (but doubt) we can keep him beyond the window.

The 2nd goal was again well worked with great build play from Verman, Pringle and Embleton well finished with some "Podge like" work from Thomas who took his "Johnny on the spot" moment really well, a fitting reward for another afternoon of hard graft. At 2 -1 Collins also redeemed himself with a great goal line clearance.

The 3rd prompted my comment about the hand brake being of as some good work to get in behind them and a clever pass by Harry Clifton (who needs a goal) resulted in a great finish from the willing and dangerous runner that is Charlie Verman, who just gets better and better IMHO.  

Town saw the game out and on reflection where the better team across the 90+ minutes versus a side that will probably go up and are no mugs.      

The players....

Macca - At the moment I'm convinced there is not a better keeper in league 2.
Hendrie - Apparently not a RB but looked decent today
Famewo - Still has the L plates on but I love his confidence and desire to play football at every opportunity.
Collins - Did well to come back from personal disaster, his legs may be questionable but his mental strength is not.
Davis - Looked like he's never been away versus a tall MKD attack
Clifton - Energetic but looks like he's trying too hard and needs a goal, great once the shackles where lifted in the 2nd half.  
Hess - Not a holding player but did well in the Rose role and if some of the passes he saw had come off it could have been even more entertaining,
Pringle - Average 1st half IMHO but much more influential in he 2nd, I think as his fitness builds this lad will turn out to be this seasons Nolan.
Embleton - MOM, he turned the game and has a great future ahead of him, I just hope it's at GTFC for the rest of this season. His goal was to class and we've not seen his like since Townsend I reckon.
Thomas - Again hard working and deserved his goal, at time today we saw the benefit of his experience .especially when the ball was played up to him in isolation,      
Verman - I like this lad a lot hard working, willing and when he feet the ball at his feet and runs at people he's an entertainer, he proved today he can finish as well.

Welsh came on and did the job he was asked to do really well and it was good to see Cardwell back as well.

So a good day, overall performance and for the team to come from behind and score 3 goals in the 2nd half indicates some real progress. We need to replicate this progress next Saturday versus Crawley for today to reall mean anything but all that said admission price apart I really enjoyed it today.

Well done to the players and MJ!

UTM!    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
TAGG
November 10, 2018, 11:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,982
Gold Stars: 121
What about Pringle today??
Thought the ginger bloke was fantastic  🙂

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
Maringer
November 11, 2018, 12:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
Quiet in the first half (almost anonymous, in fact), but used the ball really well in the second. Kept the ball moving intelligently when we were on the front foot.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
RichMariner
November 11, 2018, 12:32am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Great win and great performance - at least in the second half - and into the hat we go.

Not wanting to put a downer on it but we talk about how much this win was worth, and how much a win in the next round might bring in... but do any of us honestly think it'll be reinvested wisely given our track record?

Could be enough for January reinforcements, but that would depend on whether Fenty/the board hand it straight over to Jolley.

I think the victory will give us a little boost in the league. Could be the thing that finally gets our season going.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
essexexile
November 11, 2018, 1:09am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +185
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Thank you Craig Revell-Horwood.

Think that's Fab-u-lous
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
Mrs Doyle
November 11, 2018, 2:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
WELL DONE LADS.

About time we beat those parasites been a long time coming hopefully we can continue the second half belief into the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
lukeo
November 11, 2018, 8:02am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
Just read above about theoney we gain being used wisely. Ideally we need to use some towards a couple of players in January but I'm happy for Fenty to take a bit of it, let's slowly get that 'debt' we owe him down and gone as soon as possible so we can move forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
coddy60
November 11, 2018, 8:17am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Was wondering if Embleton being allowed to play means that he might be staying for the rest of the season 🤔
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
golfer
November 11, 2018, 8:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
Quoted from RichMariner
Great win and great performance - at least in the second half - and into the hat we go.

Not wanting to put a downer on it but we talk about how much this win was worth, and how much a win in the next round might bring in... but do any of us honestly think it'll be reinvested wisely given our track record?

Could be enough for January reinforcements, but that would depend on whether Fenty/the board hand it straight over to Jolley.

I think the victory will give us a little boost in the league. Could be the thing that finally gets our season going.

Let's just live for the moment. Let's forget about J.S.F. at least over the weekend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 11, 2018, 12:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I thought the second goal was great, it was the sort of goal we should be scoring. Makes a big difference when we have so many players around the 6 yard box. That is what has been missing. The ball dropped to Thomas but it could have been to 2 or 3 others and they cannot all of them be marked can they?

The same applies to the 3rd goal in a way because we had 2 players in the area when Clifton reached the by-line and the defenders were so bothered about marking them that it left space for the cut back to Vernam, good finish as well.

We don’t have a Podge but piling bodies in the box is the next best thing.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.