This thread currently has 9,781 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
November 11, 2018, 1:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
I thought the second goal was great, it was the sort of goal we should be scoring. Makes a big difference when we have so many players around the 6 yard box. That is what has been missing. The ball dropped to Thomas but it could have been to 2 or 3 others and they cannot all of them be marked can they?

The same applies to the 3rd goal in a way because we had 2 players in the area when Clifton reached the by-line and the defenders were so bothered about marking them that it left space for the cut back to Vernam, good finish as well.

We don’t have a Podge but piling bodies in the box is the next best thing.

Yes, it was noticeable on the highlights alone just how far we got behind them, and how many players were available in every area as opposed to the last few games where we seem to have our collective confidence visibly drain when in possession and their 18-yard box comes into view.
The first half is the stuff that drops the crowd to sub-2000, the second half will bring the crowds back.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
chaos33
November 11, 2018, 1:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Seemed to be an emphasis on getting the ball in the box much more. Smart and about time. It paid off like the stats say it should.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
KingstonMariner
November 11, 2018, 5:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from essexexile

Think that's Fab-u-lous

You're clearly more of a connoisseur than I am.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
diehardmariner
November 12, 2018, 8:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,544
Gold Stars: 537
Couldn't get two more differing performances than what we chucked out in the first and second half.

First half we looked dreadful, truly dreadful.  No shape, no balance, just awful.  Their goal was laughable and I feared a tonking.  Credit to the players that they rallied and held it together until the break.

Second half we were a different animal.  Desire and drive made a big difference but it was the mindsight of having a go at them and believing that we have the attacking abilities to hurt teams.  Also a notable lack of aimless punts in the hope that Thomas can bring it down.  

Pringle, Embleton and Vernam buzzed about off Thomas with a fair amount of freedom and it worked.  For me that's probably our best front four at the minute, but it doesn't fit into a conventional two strikers/two wingers format.  Thomas isn't a target man but is the best of the four at being a focal point of some sort.  The other three naturally play better off someone and there's a degree of flexibility in that they can switch about.

Embleton set the tempo and continued to pepper their 'keeper with shots after his goals.  Pringle put in his best performance in a Town shirt but still lacks a bit of confidence at times, few occasions where he could have had a pop at goal but hesitated and pulled it back for someone else.  That'll come though.  Thomas looks twice the player when he's not watching it sail over his head.  

Wasn't convinced in the first half by the midfield pairing of Hessenthaler and Clifton.  Thought we missed Rose's strength and composure.  Second half Hessenthaler dropped deeper which freed up Clifton to be more of a nuisance.  

Standard was set with the second half display.   Lots of intensity, lots of freedom to attack and be creative rather than slamming it high and long.

Great to see Cardwell back too.  If he stays fit I think he can offer us a real alternative from the bench.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.