KingstonMariner
November 8, 2018, 10:15pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from davmariner
Reading between the lines, based on what Jolley said pre-season and what he implied in the post-match media after Mansfield, we don’t have the best budget.

I’m no Fenty fan, but to be fair, the club has allowed MJ to bring his own people in. It’s very easy to blame budgets but Jolley virtually had a blank canvass at the start of this season and was able to build his own team.

Most new managers aren’t afforded that luxury, and usually have to work with what they have and let contracts run down.

Look at Exeter for example. Whilst they’ve done well in terms of player sales, they aren’t exactly full of cash, but are able to build and rebuild teams that at least reach the play offs. Even after having lost their long-term manager and key players, they’ve still managed to buy well and put together a competitive side.

Subject to budget

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 46
KingstonMariner
November 8, 2018, 10:17pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from sisapon

source within the club ,should be league rather than season.

And how does he know how we compare? Do they share budget information at the Portugal jolly when Shaun Harvey pulls the wool over their eyes?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
KingstonMariner
November 8, 2018, 10:17pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We'll know more when the accounts are visible.

We won't unless we've got access to the other 23 clubs' accounts

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
golfer
November 9, 2018, 8:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116

Well I don't agree with it, but I admit it is far and away better than anything you have ever posted.

You have either got a bee in your bonnet or you have got piles you nasty bully person  Vindictive bigotry .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
Mallyner
November 9, 2018, 9:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
I feel that location is as much to blame if not more than budget. Teams such as Accrington are far closer to big clubs than we are and players can't look forward to long commutes every day. So unless players can be sold the delights of what N E Lincs has to offer and unless we offer decent contracts to get them to relocate, they are more likely to sign for clubs near to home.

I don't feel Grimsby is any worse than any big town and there are lovely areas and villages to live in, the beach is as nice as any i have seen and weather wise, we are a little oasis, which almost daily misses the bad weather the rest get.

Get on with the new ground and show players what it's like here and give them a tempting deal and they might come.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
golfer
November 9, 2018, 11:05am
Vodka Drinker
Cleethorpes isn't a bad place to live ,plenty of nightlife,good eateries, well kept public gardens. New Waltham very nice,very clean and again good eateries. Humberstone ,the icing on the cake. Nice surrounding villages. The only thing spoiling these places is they are too near a scruffy dump.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
lew chaterleys lover
November 9, 2018, 11:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,715
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from golfer

You have either got a bee in your bonnet or you have got piles you nasty bully person  Vindictive bigotry .

Ouch. I blame Fenty  
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
golfer
November 9, 2018, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker
So you are saying it's J.S.F.'fault that you have got piles. I suggest you get a petition up for cushions on the seats. No ! What have I done.?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
mirrorballman
November 9, 2018, 11:39am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +552
Gold Stars: 8
According to Kieran Maguire, we have one of the lowest budgets in the league. This data was compiled using 2016/17 data from the 76 UK clubs that publish their data. Only Morecambe and Accrington pay less. The accounts for 2017/18 show an increase in wages but I'd attribute that to paying off Slade and Wilkinson.

Taken on wages alone, you could say that if Town avoid relegation, we will be punching above our weight. Horrible, but that is how far we have fallen. It also should serve as a wakeup call for anyone over-critical of Jolley.

[tweet]1057570229969211392[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
Maringer
November 9, 2018, 12:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
This doesn't actually tell us anything about the current budget, though. Figures from 2 years ago and even the information in the most recent accounts might indicate the budget may be similar, but we don't actually know what Jolley has had to spend before this particular season.

The fact that we reputedly had a 6-figure fee for Angol turned down might indicate that there some left in the kitty - possibly still unspent. That's unless the loan signings after the start of the season used a lot of it up.

We've got a lot of higher division league experience in the squad these days and I don't imagine that the likes of Welsh, Hessenthaler, Thomas and Cook came very cheap. Or Vernam, for that matter and McKeown would have been paid a decent amount to stay as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › player budget

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.