TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 30, 2018, 11:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The reality?

The reality is that in desperation the club appointed someone with no management experience apart from in Sweden where his win rate was 22%. But he was “highly regarded” as a coach by such luminaries as Sean Dyche. Oh, and he had won the Central League Cup with Burnley Under-23s. By the way, Morecambe has won that trophy as well. Nevertheless we avoided relegation and he got praise for turning things around. If you look back at those games we played crap and were saved only by other sides being crappier plus some nerveless penalties. He delivered? Possibly, but I have a feeling any reasonable new face would have done as much - if one could have been found.

However Jolley talks well, made a big social impression visiting the sick and the birthdays, moving to the area, 2 year contracts for players. His interviews seemed different at first to the Slade monotony. He had a budget and brought in what we all felt were reasonable if not brilliant signings. We were sucked it.  The reality was that we could not get anyone else. Nobody else wanted the job. We know why that is but we made a virtue out of a vice by talking up the Jolley Revolution on the Fishy almost as much as did the man himself. Some people are still doing that. But then ......

The reality is the bloke cannot manage and neither can his assistant. Let’s not beat about the bush here. Jolley failed abjectly in Sweden and he is doing the same here. Look at his CV, he is only 41 but he has never stayed in a job very long, football or non-football. Why?

He did not sign the most important player a side needs - a striker who will pop in a goal when you are playing badly. Don’t say he tried - either he didn’t try hard enough or he didn’t think it mattered. Even if players turned him down he still mismanaged his budget by signing non-descripts who occasionally get a wonder goal.Those interviews where he talked about Cook being a striker were eyewash. If he believed it he was a fool, if he didn’t then we are the fools. Now we find he cannot handle his senior players and cannot get the side to do what he wants even though most were his signings.

Jolley may  be a very nice chap, I’ve nothing against him personally as I don’t know him. I have seen and met a good few managers and coaches at BP over the years though, and what he is doing is not impressive. I don’t think he is a bad coach, he isn’t thick, he’s got the badges, he talks very well but he simply does not know how to manage a squad of men and organise a side to win games. And as a coach is he better than Neil Woods? Smarter suit maybe, but ability? I very much doubt it.

He got the job because we were desperate. In a decent shortlist with one or two experienced managers he would never have been appointed. But we fell for  “Hey look at us, we are the future, we have a manager with real credentials and contacts to rejuvenate the whole club, let us embrace the glorious revolution, get the 12th man down to BP and cheer on the lads.”

So here we are with the revolution in tatters within a couple of months and a manager who appears clueless on how to fix his dream. Please do not tell me he needs more time. It is his own daft fault we cannot sign the player the team definitely needs until January so brace yourselves for a rough ride until then at least even if he is sacked. Unless there is a remarkable turnaround there will be very, very few goals. The odd goalless draw or 1-0 win is the best we can expect. Maybe a new manager could do the walk with this squad but anyone with the strength and experience to do that will run foul of the immovable objects in the Boardroom when they ask for money. That is assuming anyone wants the job. Otherwise we are looking at the talk and the Emperor’s new clothes for a bit longer.

Nothing we can do except put up with what JF decides or vote with feet and leave him to it.

That’s the reality. Pass that bottle over please, sorrows to drown.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 49
arryarryarry
September 30, 2018, 11:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from VinnyGTFC
Last season when looking for a manager Micheal Jolleys name came up. He  was a risky yet interesting shot. Most fans liked the sound of him.
John Fenty took a punt on him. The man delivered and to the delight of most fans Jolley remained manager.
Now there are big shouts to replace this man without giving him the chance to sort the mess out and calls for Fenty to go despite doing what 80% of supporters would have done.
Don't get it!!!

In the main, his players and his tactics so his mess, I am sure most would like him to turn it around but nearly a quarter of the season has gone so can he do it?
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 49
rancido
September 30, 2018, 11:37am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Perkins

Spot on, coaching qualification is based 90% on theoretical situations within a classroom environment and not on the training ground. Management is a totally different animal which means inspiring confidence and getting the best out of players by means of man management, both of which re not happening at the moment.
I like Jolley as a person and i think he's an honest guy, but at the moment he's lacking the necessary skills required for a manager.

I can see how you differentiate between a manager and a coach but in most countries in European Football ( and even amongst the media in this country ) those two expressions are synonymous with each other. People who run football teams around the world are described as " coach " or " head coach ".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 49
arryarryarry
September 30, 2018, 11:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
The reality?

moving to the area,

Has he though?
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 49
Perkins
September 30, 2018, 11:54am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from rancido

I can see how you differentiate between a manager and a coach but in most countries in European Football ( and even amongst the media in this country ) those two expressions are synonymous with each other. People who run football teams around the world are described as " coach " or " head coach ".

Yes, i understand what you are saying, and we are probably one of a few countries that still refer to a "coach" as a Manager, but that is gradually changing due to the influx of foreign managers into our game,  but my point is that you can have all the "coaching" qualifications in the world, but if you don't posses the abilities to "man-manage" and inspire your players and install confidence in them you get what we've got, an uninspiring team with a total lack of confidence.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 49
Marinerz93
September 30, 2018, 11:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Top post TheRonRaffertyFanClub     

Jolley performed miracles last season no doubt, so why is he struggling so badly this season, I can only think that those players last season were either better quality players or were stronger minded, to me it's about budget which proves why we couldn't bring in a quality striker.

The reality for me is I'd like Fenty to make a statement on how our budget compares to others in the league, I'm hearing a bottom quarter budget, if that is correct, we are were we are because of that but that won't happen because that'll mean Fenty and his yes men have to go.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 49
arryarryarry
September 30, 2018, 11:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93
Top post TheRonRaffertyFanClub     

Jolley performed miracles last season no doubt, so why is he struggling so badly this season, I can only think that those players last season were either better quality players or were stronger minded, to me it's about budget which proves why we couldn't bring in a quality striker.

The reality for me is I'd like Fenty to make a statement on how our budget compares to others in the league, I'm hearing a bottom quarter budget, if that is correct, we are were we are because of that but that won't happen because that'll mean Fenty and his yes men have to go.

If that's true then we are in deep excrement.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 49
MuddyWaters
September 30, 2018, 11:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from VinnyGTFC
Last season when looking for a manager Micheal Jolleys name came up. He  was a risky yet interesting shot. Most fans liked the sound of him.
John Fenty took a punt on him. The man delivered and to the delight of most fans Jolley remained manager.
Now there are big shouts to replace this man without giving him the chance to sort the mess out and calls for Fenty to go despite doing what 80% of supporters would have done.
Don't get it!!!

After Phil Brown, John Askey and possibly one other turned him down.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 49
GrimRob
September 30, 2018, 12:42pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Everyone is only as good as their last dozen results. Look at Claudio Ranieri, a god one season and then sacked halfway through the next one!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 49
lew chaterleys lover
September 30, 2018, 1:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from GrimRob
Everyone is only as good as their last dozen results. Look at Claudio Ranieri, a god one season and then sacked halfway through the next one!

This is exactly why the board should set the tone of the club. Employees come and go, depending as you say on results. It is up to the board to provide the optimum conditions for the employees to thrive, but if they fail then to replace them with as little disruption as possible.

Our board to the exact opposite. Each appointment is made in the hope they can get them out of the mire. They pass on the responsibility of the clubs welfare to the manager and hope for the best.

Of course when the axe falls Fenty will say we backed the manager, he had everything he asked for. In his eyes that is true, but it is nowhere enough to compete in the modern game.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The reality

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.