TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 1, 2018, 2:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Jolley could learn from Hurst in that though at numerous times it wasn’t pretty Hurst found a way of playing that suited the players abilities Jolley however seems to be trying to get players to play to a system rather then their strengths. A system that changes weekly at the moment.

Additionally your right about players going to the non chairman on the basis of what we’ve seen since the MKD game they are collectively a massive part of this problem

Hurst is a lowest common denominator manager. You start the game with one point and if it ends 0-0 then that is a result. A goal is a bonus. Interestingly reporters in the local press at Ipswich have already picked this up, not from us but from his time at Shrewsbury. I think he had 16 1-0 wins last season, mainly in the earlier games and then settled for draws and the play-offs in the final 10 games or so. Disgruntled would be a good word for the average Ipswich fan with their new manager.

Maybe Jolley would have taken some stick from the fans if his 3-5-3 had gone that way but he could have cupped his ear and pointed to points in the bag.

As it is, he is stuck. He can’t manage the senior players and despite a plethora of badges between them,  Jolley and his staff  do not coach the side well enough either. Just looking back for example on the two goals conceded on Saturday, it is clear that the defence has no idea whether to play a high line or drop off. When someone runs at them they don’t know whether to sh!t, shave or shower. Collins goes forward, then back, then forwards and gets passed. There is no discipline in the team, the midfielders either are not fit enough or are not sure whether to attack the ball or drop off. The forwards never know where the ball will land when it comes out of orbit so they don’t know whether to run the channels or stay put.

Really it is as grim as it gets. Yet I don’t believe the players are hopeless, they just need a firm sense of purpose instead of all this jawing. John Tondeur asks Jolley what he has done to halt the slide. Worked on some drills and had one to one talks was the reply. One to one talks! Unbelievable for a manager to say it. It should be “I talked and he listened, and then he either does it or he’s out of the side.”

The words p!ss up and brewery spring to mind.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 49
Biccys
October 1, 2018, 3:04pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27

Maybe Jolley would have taken some stick from the fans if his 3-5-3 had gone that way but he could have cupped his ear and pointed to points in the bag.

You might have hit on the solution there!

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 41 - 49
lew chaterleys lover
October 1, 2018, 4:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234

Hurst is a lowest common denominator manager. You start the game with one point and if it ends 0-0 then that is a result. A goal is a bonus. Interestingly reporters in the local press at Ipswich have already picked this up, not from us but from his time at Shrewsbury. I think he had 16 1-0 wins last season, mainly in the earlier games and then settled for draws and the play-offs in the final 10 games or so. Disgruntled would be a good word for the average Ipswich fan with their new manager.

As it is, he is stuck. He can’t manage the senior players and despite a plethora of badges between them,  Jolley and his staff  do not coach the side well enough either. Just looking back for example on the two goals conceded on Saturday, it is clear that the defence has no idea whether to play a high line or drop off. When someone runs at them they don’t know whether to sh!t, shave or shower. Collins goes forward, then back, then forwards and gets passed. There is no discipline in the team, the midfielders either are not fit enough or are not sure whether to attack the ball or drop off. The forwards never know where the ball will land when it comes out of orbit so they don’t know whether to run the channels or stay put.

Really it is as grim as it gets. Yet I don’t believe the players are hopeless, they just need a firm sense of purpose instead of all this jawing. John Tondeur asks Jolley what he has done to halt the slide. Worked on some drills and had one to one talks was the reply. One to one talks! Unbelievable for a manager to say it. It should be “I talked and he listened, and then he either does it or he’s out of the side.”

The words p!ss up and brewery spring to mind.

That is a convincing analysis.

I cannot quite believe how everything he said he wanted has not happened at all.

He mentioned pace, high tempo, a pressing game and attacking with purpose. He also mentioned fitness loads of times, and yet I have not seen a more unfit bunch since fitness training consisted of lifting a medicine ball.

I think I have said previously that Saturday was about the worst I have seen in a very long time, and when you consider just how low the bar has been set that takes some doing.

It is a complete shambles once again. I had pinned my hopes on Michael Jolley but it seems it is not to be. There are so many problems inherent with the club, I am doubtful any manager can put it right.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 49
VinnyGTFC
October 1, 2018, 6:25pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from Yoda
Yes MJ was a popular choice but it’s hasnt worked out unfortunately, can we risk another relegation to non league.

I'll accept that if you like, but why are we behaving like John Fenty has wronged us on this occasion. He has made mistakes sure but this was a popular appointment and should be treat as such. A good appointment that hasn't quite worked out, but kept us in the league last season. And we we're dead and buried.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 49
VinnyGTFC
October 1, 2018, 6:27pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Regardless im sorry you cant lose 7 games in a row when scoring just one goal without any manager being under threat from the sack at any level any club.

So as much as people like him and want him to succeed its results here and now what matter .

Agree. Not what I'm saying
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 49
promotion plaice
October 1, 2018, 6:39pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

I'll accept that if you like, but why are we behaving like John Fenty has wronged us on this occasion. He has made mistakes sure but this was a popular appointment and should be treat as such. A good appointment that hasn't quite worked out, but kept us in the league last season. And we we're dead and buried.

But what sort of a player budget did Mr Fenty give MJ this summer compared to our rivals because if it was poor as I suspect then Mr Fenty has to take some of the blame, what happened to that hairs on the back of the neck striker that we clearly needed.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 49
Ipswin
October 1, 2018, 6:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from promotion plaice

But what sort of a player budget did Mr Fenty give MJ this summer compared to our rivals because if it was poor as I suspect then Mr Fenty has to take some of the blame, what happened to that hairs on the back of the neck striker that we clearly needed.

But Jolley must surely have known that (as soon as he got over the shock of actually getting the job). He couldn't possibly have expected any (non) Chairman to hand him a huge budget when his previous experience was confined to running a Subbuteo team FFS

Fenty's daft but not that daft

Also of course we don't know if failing to secure a Premiership standard 40 goal a season striker was to do solely with money anyway. I suspect most if not all of those he wanted took one look at BP, Grimsby, Fenty, Jolley et al and said an emphatic no thanks

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 49
MuddyWaters
October 1, 2018, 6:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Ipswin

But Jolley must surely have known that (as soon as he got over the shock of actually getting the job). He couldn't possibly have expected any (non) Chairman to hand him a huge budget when his previous experience was confined to running a Subbuteo team FFS

Fenty's daft but not that daft

Also of course we don't know if failing to secure a Premiership standard 40 goal a season striker was to do solely with money anyway. I suspect most if not all of those he wanted too one look at BP, Grimsby, Fenty, Jolley at al and said an emphatic no thanks

JF probably told them to read The Fishy and check out the miserable old twa@ts and see if you fancy trying to please them.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 49
dapperz fun pub
October 1, 2018, 7:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from HertsGTFC
The reality is that the issues are mounting up,

- 91st in the EFL
- Six defeats in a row and one goal scored
- Possibly the worst defence ever? Certainly since 77/78 when I started going.
- A side that looks like they are waiting for defeat to happen - zero confidence!
- Pros that look like they can't or won't stand up and be counted.  
- Senior pros who are offering very little.
- No creativity, poor passing and we give the ball away cheaply/
- Talent left on the bench whilst others looked guaranteed a start
- A different selection and shape each week and no width, we need a system for the players not players for a system.
- Two fit CB's one who went down with Chesterfield last season the other should have been put down and not re-signed.
- Questionable levels of fitness and apparently the team went away in the week rather than drilling the defence on the training ground
- Questionable sub decisions and too many "square pegs" taking the field.  
- Crowds shrinking by the week
- A board who come out with cheap statements about a move one week and then talk to us about wanting to sell the next???
- Nobody decent wants to sign for us, is it money, location, the manager, the threat of relegation or just that the club is a dysfunctional shambles?
- A match day experience that is embarrassing.

The list goes on and on.......

You can analyse it as much as you want but even at the end of September we are in real danger of dropping back to the abyss, in fact when you look at the team and whole club and the lack of pride and spreading apathy I'd say we are favourites.  

Short term - MJ needs to go, the self proclaimed "custodians" of the club need to get their hands in their pockets (they are directors after all) and pay for a good replacement who will stabilise us on the pitch and keep us up.  

Mid Term - If we operate at this "small time" level sooner or later the trap door will get us, it's inevitable. The glass half empty attitude of this board needs to change.

Long Term - Who knows? With the current people in charge I think we'll keep going around in circles at best but at worst we may disappear like the Stockport and York.  

The reality? It's fuked and in reality it feels like it's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

UTM!

Hard to disagree with any of that good post
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 49
lew chaterleys lover
October 1, 2018, 9:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

The fans pay the wages not Fenty. His ceiling on the budget just ensures he doesn't have to put any money in himself, if it is true that he hasn't actually put money into the club (apart from loans) for a long time.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The reality

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.