Northbank Mariner
September 30, 2018, 1:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
The reality?

The reality is that in desperation the club appointed someone with no management experience apart from in Sweden where his win rate was 22%. But he was “highly regarded” as a coach by such luminaries as Sean Dyche. Oh, and he had won the Central League Cup with Burnley Under-23s. By the way, Morecambe has won that trophy as well. Nevertheless we avoided relegation and he got praise for turning things around. If you look back at those games we played crap and were saved only by other sides being crappier plus some nerveless penalties. He delivered? Possibly, but I have a feeling any reasonable new face would have done as much - if one could have been found.

However Jolley talks well, made a big social impression visiting the sick and the birthdays, moving to the area, 2 year contracts for players. His interviews seemed different at first to the Slade monotony. He had a budget and brought in what we all felt were reasonable if not brilliant signings. We were sucked it.  The reality was that we could not get anyone else. Nobody else wanted the job. We know why that is but we made a virtue out of a vice by talking up the Jolley Revolution on the Fishy almost as much as did the man himself. Some people are still doing that. But then ......

The reality is the bloke cannot manage and neither can his assistant. Let’s not beat about the bush here. Jolley failed abjectly in Sweden and he is doing the same here. Look at his CV, he is only 41 but he has never stayed in a job very long, football or non-football. Why?

He did not sign the most important player a side needs - a striker who will pop in a goal when you are playing badly. Don’t say he tried - either he didn’t try hard enough or he didn’t think it mattered. Even if players turned him down he still mismanaged his budget by signing non-descripts who occasionally get a wonder goal.Those interviews where he talked about Cook being a striker were eyewash. If he believed it he was a fool, if he didn’t then we are the fools. Now we find he cannot handle his senior players and cannot get the side to do what he wants even though most were his signings.

Jolley may  be a very nice chap, I’ve nothing against him personally as I don’t know him. I have seen and met a good few managers and coaches at BP over the years though, and what he is doing is not impressive. I don’t think he is a bad coach, he isn’t thick, he’s got the badges, he talks very well but he simply does not know how to manage a squad of men and organise a side to win games. And as a coach is he better than Neil Woods? Smarter suit maybe, but ability? I very much doubt it.

He got the job because we were desperate. In a decent shortlist with one or two experienced managers he would never have been appointed. But we fell for  “Hey look at us, we are the future, we have a manager with real credentials and contacts to rejuvenate the whole club, let us embrace the glorious revolution, get the 12th man down to BP and cheer on the lads.”

So here we are with the revolution in tatters within a couple of months and a manager who appears clueless on how to fix his dream. Please do not tell me he needs more time. It is his own daft fault we cannot sign the player the team definitely needs until January so brace yourselves for a rough ride until then at least even if he is sacked. Unless there is a remarkable turnaround there will be very, very few goals. The odd goalless draw or 1-0 win is the best we can expect. Maybe a new manager could do the walk with this squad but anyone with the strength and experience to do that will run foul of the immovable objects in the Boardroom when they ask for money. That is assuming anyone wants the job. Otherwise we are looking at the talk and the Emperor’s new clothes for a bit longer.

Nothing we can do except put up with what JF decides or vote with feet and leave him to it.

That’s the reality. Pass that bottle over please, sorrows to drown.

Nail hit squarely on the head...
Jolley=failed in Sweden...
Limbrick=failed at woking...
Afraid ladies n gents, majority of us,believed MJ would be the new messiah to football management and his career would start here but in reality he's clueless at management although I agree he could have the attributes to be a decent coach....
Maybe he should hand in his resignation, admit defeat and walk away before it gets really toxic toward him..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
KingstonMariner
September 30, 2018, 3:44pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Perkins

Spot on, coaching qualification is based 90% on theoretical situations within a classroom environment and not on the training ground. Management is a totally different animal which means inspiring confidence and getting the best out of players by means of man management, both of which re not happening at the moment.
I like Jolley as a person and i think he's an honest guy, but at the moment he's lacking the necessary skills required for a manager.

So you think all the years he’s spent going through the levels of coaching 90% of his time has been in the classroom? That makes about 13 years sat on his bottom. So all those other clubs have paid him for all that time NOT coaching.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
HertsGTFC
September 30, 2018, 4:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
The reality is that the issues are mounting up,

- 91st in the EFL
- Six defeats in a row and one goal scored
- Possibly the worst defence ever? Certainly since 77/78 when I started going.
- A side that looks like they are waiting for defeat to happen - zero confidence!
- Pros that look like they can't or won't stand up and be counted.  
- Senior pros who are offering very little.
- No creativity, poor passing and we give the ball away cheaply/
- Talent left on the bench whilst others looked guaranteed a start
- A different selection and shape each week and no width, we need a system for the players not players for a system.
- Two fit CB's one who went down with Chesterfield last season the other should have been put down and not re-signed.
- Questionable levels of fitness and apparently the team went away in the week rather than drilling the defence on the training ground
- Questionable sub decisions and too many "square pegs" taking the field.  
- Crowds shrinking by the week
- A board who come out with cheap statements about a move one week and then talk to us about wanting to sell the next???
- Nobody decent wants to sign for us, is it money, location, the manager, the threat of relegation or just that the club is a dysfunctional shambles?
- A match day experience that is embarrassing.

The list goes on and on.......

You can analyse it as much as you want but even at the end of September we are in real danger of dropping back to the abyss, in fact when you look at the team and whole club and the lack of pride and spreading apathy I'd say we are favourites.  

Short term - MJ needs to go, the self proclaimed "custodians" of the club need to get their hands in their pockets (they are directors after all) and pay for a good replacement who will stabilise us on the pitch and keep us up.  

Mid Term - If we operate at this "small time" level sooner or later the trap door will get us, it's inevitable. The glass half empty attitude of this board needs to change.

Long Term - Who knows? With the current people in charge I think we'll keep going around in circles at best but at worst we may disappear like the Stockport and York.  

The reality? It's fuked and in reality it feels like it's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

UTM!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
lew chaterleys lover
September 30, 2018, 4:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from HertsGTFC
The reality is that the issues are mounting up,

- 91st in the EFL
- Six defeats in a row and one goal scored
- Possibly the worst defence ever? Certainly since 77/78 when I started going.
- A side that looks like they are waiting for defeat to happen - zero confidence!
- Pros that look like they can't or won't stand up and be counted.  
- Senior pros who are offering very little.
- No creativity, poor passing and we give the ball away cheaply/
- Talent left on the bench whilst others looked guaranteed a start
- A different selection and shape each week and no width, we need a system for the players not players for a system.
- Two fit CB's one who went down with Chesterfield last season the other should have been put down and not re-signed.
- Questionable levels of fitness and apparently the team went away in the week rather than drilling the defence on the training ground
- Questionable sub decisions and too many "square pegs" taking the field.  
- Crowds shrinking by the week
- A board who come out with cheap statements about a move one week and then talk to us about wanting to sell the next???
- Nobody decent wants to sign for us, is it money, location, the manager, the threat of relegation or just that the club is a dysfunctional shambles?
- A match day experience that is embarrassing.

The list goes on and on.......

You can analyse it as much as you want but even at the end of September we are in real danger of dropping back to the abyss, in fact when you look at the team and whole club and the lack of pride and spreading apathy I'd say we are favourites.  

Short term - MJ needs to go, the self proclaimed "custodians" of the club need to get their hands in their pockets (they are directors after all) and pay for a good replacement who will stabilise us on the pitch and keep us up.  

Mid Term - If we operate at this "small time" level sooner or later the trap door will get us, it's inevitable. The glass half empty attitude of this board needs to change.

Long Term - Who knows? With the current people in charge I think we'll keep going around in circles at best but at worst we may disappear like the Stockport and York.  

The reality? It's fuked and in reality it feels like it's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better.

UTM!

I was hoping for a Swansea or Bournemouth but I am starting to believe it will be York or Stockport. Very sad but I don't think we would recover any time soon once the trapdoor opens.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
petethemariner
September 30, 2018, 10:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Absolutely nailed it with  your post Herts, its  an appalling state of affairs that just seems to go on year after year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
arryarryarry
September 30, 2018, 10:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from KingstonMariner

So you think all the years he’s spent going through the levels of coaching 90% of his time has been in the classroom? That makes about 13 years sat on his bottom. So all those other clubs have paid him for all that time NOT coaching.

There has to be a difference in coaching teams where only the players parents turn up and the goal must be to produce quality players and not necessarily actually win something rather than managing a team where several thousand fans are expecting their team to at least compete or hopefully win.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
chaos33
September 30, 2018, 10:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
The reality?

The reality is that in desperation the club appointed someone with no management experience apart from in Sweden where his win rate was 22%. But he was “highly regarded” as a coach by such luminaries as Sean Dyche. Oh, and he had won the Central League Cup with Burnley Under-23s. By the way, Morecambe has won that trophy as well. Nevertheless we avoided relegation and he got praise for turning things around. If you look back at those games we played crap and were saved only by other sides being crappier plus some nerveless penalties. He delivered? Possibly, but I have a feeling any reasonable new face would have done as much - if one could have been found.

However Jolley talks well, made a big social impression visiting the sick and the birthdays, moving to the area, 2 year contracts for players. His interviews seemed different at first to the Slade monotony. He had a budget and brought in what we all felt were reasonable if not brilliant signings. We were sucked it.  The reality was that we could not get anyone else. Nobody else wanted the job. We know why that is but we made a virtue out of a vice by talking up the Jolley Revolution on the Fishy almost as much as did the man himself. Some people are still doing that. But then ......

The reality is the bloke cannot manage and neither can his assistant. Let’s not beat about the bush here. Jolley failed abjectly in Sweden and he is doing the same here. Look at his CV, he is only 41 but he has never stayed in a job very long, football or non-football. Why?

He did not sign the most important player a side needs - a striker who will pop in a goal when you are playing badly. Don’t say he tried - either he didn’t try hard enough or he didn’t think it mattered. Even if players turned him down he still mismanaged his budget by signing non-descripts who occasionally get a wonder goal.Those interviews where he talked about Cook being a striker were eyewash. If he believed it he was a fool, if he didn’t then we are the fools. Now we find he cannot handle his senior players and cannot get the side to do what he wants even though most were his signings.

Jolley may  be a very nice chap, I’ve nothing against him personally as I don’t know him. I have seen and met a good few managers and coaches at BP over the years though, and what he is doing is not impressive. I don’t think he is a bad coach, he isn’t thick, he’s got the badges, he talks very well but he simply does not know how to manage a squad of men and organise a side to win games. And as a coach is he better than Neil Woods? Smarter suit maybe, but ability? I very much doubt it.

He got the job because we were desperate. In a decent shortlist with one or two experienced managers he would never have been appointed. But we fell for  “Hey look at us, we are the future, we have a manager with real credentials and contacts to rejuvenate the whole club, let us embrace the glorious revolution, get the 12th man down to BP and cheer on the lads.”

So here we are with the revolution in tatters within a couple of months and a manager who appears clueless on how to fix his dream. Please do not tell me he needs more time. It is his own daft fault we cannot sign the player the team definitely needs until January so brace yourselves for a rough ride until then at least even if he is sacked. Unless there is a remarkable turnaround there will be very, very few goals. The odd goalless draw or 1-0 win is the best we can expect. Maybe a new manager could do the walk with this squad but anyone with the strength and experience to do that will run foul of the immovable objects in the Boardroom when they ask for money. That is assuming anyone wants the job. Otherwise we are looking at the talk and the Emperor’s new clothes for a bit longer.

Nothing we can do except put up with what JF decides or vote with feet and leave him to it.

That’s the reality. Pass that bottle over please, sorrows to drown.

I really fear that this is all correct. I hope it isn't. I dont think any of us want to face this truth

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
HertsGTFC
September 30, 2018, 10:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from chaos33

I really fear that this is all correct. I hope it isn't. I dont think any of us want to face this truth

I’ll face the truth as you’ll do as well. Many others on this board and at BP on Saturday will join us.

The powers that be won’t though and there sits the problem!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
KingstonMariner
September 30, 2018, 11:48pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from arryarryarry

There has to be a difference in coaching teams where only the players parents turn up and the goal must be to produce quality players and not necessarily actually win something rather than managing a team where several thousand fans are expecting their team to at least compete or hopefully win.

Not really being in a classroom though is it? And I'm sure there were more than just mums and dads at Burnley Under 23 games and in the Swedish top division.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
Cloudy
October 1, 2018, 6:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Perkins

Spot on, coaching qualification is based 90% on theoretical situations within a classroom environment and not on the training ground. Management is a totally different animal which means inspiring confidence and getting the best out of players by means of man management, both of which re not happening at the moment.
I like Jolley as a person and i think he's an honest guy, but at the moment he's lacking the necessary skills required for a manager.

I would suggest you don’t have any recent coaching qualifications
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The reality

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.