Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cook Update ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 362 Guests

Cook Update ?

This thread currently has 6,929 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 18, 2018, 3:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I don't think Cardwell is brilliant by any means but I think many underestimate what a reasonably mobile and hard-working big bloke up front can do in unsettling the opposition defence and therefore creating space for teammates.

Cardwell played pretty much every game under Jolley last season and I don't think it was coincidence that we saw the best of Hooper when he was playing. Lacking anybody else with a similar physical presence in the squad, it wouldn't surprise me if he made an immediate return to the team when fit. If Cardwell can create some space for the likes of Thomas, Cook, Vernam and perhaps Hooper, does it really matter if he doesn't get many himself?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 41
MuddyWaters
September 18, 2018, 4:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,882
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from denni266
I somehow do not see Cardwell as the saviour

Cardwell might be more of a saviour if he had a goal or two in him. Sadly he hasn't and probably offers even less than Hooper (but possibly more than Robles)
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 41
Maringer
September 18, 2018, 4:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Cardwell might be more of a saviour if he had a goal or two in him. Sadly he hasn't and probably offers even less than Hooper (but possibly more than Robles)

Only if you expect forwards to score goals but do absolutely nothing else. In lower division football, especially, there are a lot of decent forwards (I won't use the word 'striker') who don't score very many, but help their teams to win games. I'm hoping Cardwell can become one of these types, though it would be better if he scored a few as well.

I don't doubt Steve Livingstone would be slagged off by some in the modern era for not scoring enough goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 41
MuddyWaters
September 18, 2018, 5:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Only if you expect forwards to score goals but do absolutely nothing else. In lower division football, especially, there are a lot of decent forwards (I won't use the word 'striker') who don't score very many, but help their teams to win games. I'm hoping Cardwell can become one of these types, though it would be better if he scored a few as well.

I don't doubt Steve Livingstone would be slagged off by some in the modern era for not scoring enough goals.

Livvo score 58 goals in 362 senior appearances - Cardwell has 0 in 26. I don't think they should be discussed in the same vein.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 41
Maringer
September 18, 2018, 5:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Livingstone didn't score any goals during his first few seasons as a professional either, though he was obviously a better player and at a higher level.

Regardless, I'm not trying to discuss Livingstone's career, just pointing out you don't need to score 20 goals or even 10 goals in a season to be a useful forward if you're doing a job for the team.

Let's put it this way. I thought that JLAA and LJL were good lower division forwards. Some didn't and probably still don't despite the fact that both have spent most of their careers playing at a higher level level than us. I'm obviously not the only one who thinks they were good lower division forwards, despite their relative lack of goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 41
moosey_club
September 18, 2018, 6:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Cardwell ....suffers from injuries....hasnt kicked a ball in anger for some time...dont see him walking back into the team anytime soon or being anywhere near match fit once/ if he becomes injury free.

Spoke to a guy a few weeks ago who used to coach/scout at professional level and he said Cardwell as a 15 yr old was unbelievable and highly sought after. I like the look of him but just have one of those recurring feelings that we wont really ever see anything significant of him in a Town shirt.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 41
ginnywings
September 18, 2018, 6:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
I love to see a player labelled as not good enough, when he is 21 and has played about 2 dozen games in his entire career.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 41
MuddyWaters
September 18, 2018, 7:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I love to see a player labelled as not good enough, when he is 21 and has played about 2 dozen games in his entire career.  

It's not that he hasn't got potential - it's that he hasn't really shown enough to suggest that he may be our saviour.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 41
jamesgtfc
September 18, 2018, 7:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Cardwell has some great raw attributes; strength, height, a bit of pace and stamina. He showed on trial last season that he can score so I think he needs a run in the team to prove himself.

He's been at some very good clubs in his short career so there is definitely something there. If we can get something out of him this season and for him down for another couple of years, we might just get a decent fee for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 41
lew chaterleys lover
September 18, 2018, 8:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Cardwell has some great raw attributes; strength, height, a bit of pace and stamina. He showed on trial last season that he can score so I think he needs a run in the team to prove himself.

He's been at some very good clubs in his short career so there is definitely something there. If we can get something out of him this season and for him down for another couple of years, we might just get a decent fee for him.

I think you are being wildly optimistic there.

I think I read earlier that Cardwell was "fantastic" as a young prospect and no doubt scored goals for fun. This happens a lot; at a young age they look world beaters but then don't progress at the same rate. He now finds himself at a club at the bottom end of league 2, and despite his obvious endeavour hasn't looked remotely like scoring.

I wish him well, and from what we have seen so far he could be a decent squad player, but I have my doubts he could be a regular who might go on to greater things.

Mind you, I have been wrong many many times before* so you never know.

* Like when I was convinced Ryan Bennett would not make the grade when for the umpteenth time he shanked a "pass" into the Lower Smiths.
** Like when I first saw Kevin Drinkell make his debut and thought nah.
***Like when I saw John McDermott make his debut at Bradford and thought - he is too small and not good enough.

On all other occasions my first impressions have been spot on  
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cook Update ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.