Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cook Update ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 240 Guests

Cook Update ?

This thread currently has 6,978 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
September 18, 2018, 9:04am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,124
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from diehardmariner
Unless I'm missing them, the updates surrounding injuries are virtually non-existent at the minute.

All I can recall seeing about Cardwell is that he overdid it in the gym before returning for pre-season and about a month ago he was at St George's Park to aid his recovery.  Since then, nothing.  

All injury situations covered at the start of the Oldam pre match interview.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/september/freeview--michael-jolley-pre-oldham-athletic/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 41
diehardmariner
September 18, 2018, 9:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,610
Gold Stars: 538
Thank you.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 41
Roast Em Bobby
September 18, 2018, 9:18am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Maringer
Should probably mean that we see Vernam more down the middle which may be worth a try as he hasn't looked effective playing from wide areas. I'd imagine Thomas will then be the most advanced striker, even if it isn't really his game.

As Hooper is no use playing through the middle as the main striker, how long until Cardwell is back to offer a meatier option?

It's all about finding the best partnership, whilst I'm not a massive fan of Hooper I wouldn't rule out him and Thomas playing together just yet as they haven't played together as a two yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 41
ginnywings
September 18, 2018, 9:23am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,124
Gold Stars: 548
Thank you.

No probs. We can add Cook to that list as well now.

I think all the injuries and suspensions, coupled with us playing mainly teams who have started the season well, has somewhat skewed things, and we seem to be chasing our tails a bit at the moment. If we are still struggling when they are all back and match fit, then that's the time to start panicking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 41
diehardmariner
September 18, 2018, 11:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,610
Gold Stars: 538
Agreed.

I've said before I think the loss of Cardwell is huge.  He was absolutely key to our turnaround last season and is the only thing we've got that resembles a target-man in the building.  

Cardwell, Hall-Johnson, Fox, Pringle, Embleton, Thomas.  That's six guys who are either unavailable at the minute or shaking off ring-rust.  Even if four of them can make impacts it changes the landscape altogether.  

What system they would fit into I'm not so sure.  Our lack of width and large number of central midfielders makes me think going back to 3-5-2 would be best.  But I'm not convinced Fox is a wing-back.  With wingers, Pringle could perhaps work the left flank and then Clifton/Woolford on the right - or even Max Wright when back from loan.  

But unless we're going with a single man up top and two supporting from wide, it means a two-man central midfield which doesn't really fit the players we've got in my opinion.  Welsh is best when protecting the defence and allowing full-backs to push on.  The single man in attack also only really points to Cardwell and then means Vernam, Cook and Thomas aren't involved.  

At this minute in time I think I would go for a 4-3-3 but with a lot and switching about and interchanging up top, probably between Cook, Thomas and Cardwell.  Midfield 3 of Welsh, Pringle and Hessenthaler.  

Hall-Johnson Davis Famewo Fox
   Hessenthaler Welsh Pringle
   Cardwell Thomas Cook

Something like that.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 41
Madeleymariner
September 18, 2018, 1:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,051
Gold Stars: 49
Dont consider Clifton as a wingback, he was poor playing there earlier in the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 41
Hagrid
September 18, 2018, 2:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,393
Gold Stars: 534
Agreed.

I've said before I think the loss of Cardwell is huge.  He was absolutely key to our turnaround last season and is the only thing we've got that resembles a target-man in the building.  

Cardwell, Hall-Johnson, Fox, Pringle, Embleton, Thomas.  That's six guys who are either unavailable at the minute or shaking off ring-rust.  Even if four of them can make impacts it changes the landscape altogether.  

What system they would fit into I'm not so sure.  Our lack of width and large number of central midfielders makes me think going back to 3-5-2 would be best.  But I'm not convinced Fox is a wing-back.  With wingers, Pringle could perhaps work the left flank and then Clifton/Woolford on the right - or even Max Wright when back from loan.  

But unless we're going with a single man up top and two supporting from wide, it means a two-man central midfield which doesn't really fit the players we've got in my opinion.  Welsh is best when protecting the defence and allowing full-backs to push on.  The single man in attack also only really points to Cardwell and then means Vernam, Cook and Thomas aren't involved.  

At this minute in time I think I would go for a 4-3-3 but with a lot and switching about and interchanging up top, probably between Cook, Thomas and Cardwell.  Midfield 3 of Welsh, Pringle and Hessenthaler.  

Cardwell Thomas Cook

Something like that.

dont agree sadly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 41
denni266
September 18, 2018, 2:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +698
Gold Stars: 132
I somehow do not see Cardwell as the saviour
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 41
Northbank Mariner
September 18, 2018, 2:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Would like at some point in the very near future to see Cook, Vernham, Thomas and A rose shoe horned into a forward attack...pace, power, determination and from what I've seen so far plenty of ability/quality..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 41
Garth
September 18, 2018, 3:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Agreed.

Cardwell Thomas Cook

Something like that.

Absolute rubbish, trys hard but does not cut it at this level sadly along with Hooper and Robles
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Cook Update ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.