5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
September 17, 2018, 2:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 538
Oldham were a decent side and had some really good players at this level.  Not just Surridge but also Callum Lang who is on loan from Wigan.  I was surprised when they took him off in the second half as he was running the show first half.  Their strength was highlighted by the fact they had Jose Baxter and Ishmail Miller coming on as subs, both players I think we would be delighted to have in our starting eleven.

However it isn't just a case that we came up against a better side, it's the fact we played into their hands so naively. Their two centre-backs were absolute quality and just ate up everything we lumped forward to them, yet we persisted with aimless punts forward despite not even having anything resembling a target-man on the pitch.  The few times we actually bothered to play on the ground with quick link-up play we caused them no end of trouble.  
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
Roast Em Bobby
September 17, 2018, 3:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,722
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

We we're watching the game that Famewo on several occasions, whilst trying to pass down the line or around the man in front of him, put the ball into touch..
Think what Les is getting at is that Famewo is good, very good but had an off day on Saturday,

Anyone know of sites where you can get detailed stats, whilst I remember him kicking it out twice in fairly quick succession in the second half, I also remember hardly putting a foot wrong in the first half.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
Hagrid
September 17, 2018, 4:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,392
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from diehardmariner
Oldham were a decent side and had some really good players at this level.  Not just Surridge but also Callum Lang who is on loan from Wigan.  I was surprised when they took him off in the second half as he was running the show first half.  Their strength was highlighted by the fact they had Jose Baxter and Ishmail Miller coming on as subs, both players I think we would be delighted to have in our starting eleven.

However it isn't just a case that we came up against a better side, it's the fact we played into their hands so naively. Their two centre-backs were absolute quality and just ate up everything we lumped forward to them, yet we persisted with aimless punts forward despite not even having anything resembling a target-man on the pitch.  The few times we actually bothered to play on the ground with quick link-up play we caused them no end of trouble.  

im not too sure about that tbh!- meaning we would want them, Miller is awful and has been for years
I also dont think they were that good at all, we made it easy for them, they were shite in the 1st period
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
marinerdazza
September 17, 2018, 4:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,856
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from marinerdazza

Absolutely, I'm convinced. We're going down.

Yeah well this backfired on me. Irony doesn't work when we've been stuffed. Lesson learned.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
ska face
September 17, 2018, 5:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
I think the big difference is, unlike Surridge, I’ve never seen a defender give Vernam 10 yards to run at him then back away to the point where they’re almost sat in row F.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
arryarryarry
September 17, 2018, 5:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from marinerdazza

Funny how opinions differ. I thought he was pretty good going forward.

I thought he spent most of his time kicking the ball into touch.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
lew chaterleys lover
September 17, 2018, 5:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from diehardmariner

We were the better side till they scored.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
lew chaterleys lover
September 17, 2018, 5:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I watched on iFollow, and apart from kneeing the ball across our own box at one stage, Famewo played very well and I was thinking to myself how well he played the ball out on the ground to one of our midfielders. Not sure what game you and your mate were were watching Les tbh.

If you watch the goals again, it was Rose  who didn't cover round the back when Hendrie went lunging in near the touchline for the first goal, and it was Rose who lost his man for the third goal. Not trying to pick on Rose as he was one of our better players overall. Point is though that none of the goals came about down Famewo's side of the pitch.

It is all about opinions but I thought he had a shocker.He kept shanking it out for a throw when he was in a good position to play it up the line. It looks to me that he thinks he is better than he actually is. Perhaps he would be better at centre back.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
diehardmariner
September 17, 2018, 6:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Hagrid

im not too sure about that tbh!- meaning we would want them, Miller is awful and has been for years
I also dont think they were that good at all, we made it easy for them, they were shite in the 1st period

No, you're right. I was much happier looking at our bench to see JJ Hooper and Louis Robles warming up.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
Roast Em Bobby
September 17, 2018, 7:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,722
Gold Stars: 44
Just watched the first 20 mins from Saturday again and Famewo touched the ball 12 times. 9 touches were good and 3 skanks down the line that went out. Ill watch another 20mins later and count again.

We were pretty decent in those first 20 mins and quite unlucky not to score with 3 decent efforts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Surridge

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.