Garth
September 17, 2018, 11:29am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from marinerdazza

I think Vernam is excellent and certianly capable of doing that. I note we get a lot of criticism for lack of pace. Vernam has loads.

Vernon should always be a starter IMO, him and Thomas are along with Cook capable of being dangerous.
The problem is service from midfield is poor and as such they are always fighting for 50/50 balls.
The defence centrally needs a shake up, too much pressure on our keeper
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 42
Northbank Mariner
September 17, 2018, 12:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Les Brechin

I actually thought Famewo was poor on Saturday. Probably his worst game for us. I lost count of the amount of times he just kicked the ball out when playing it down the line. I have been fairly impressed with him until now but I didn't think he had a good game at all. In fact a friend of mine attending his first game of the season was very critical of him and I had to convince him that he has played quite well up until Saturday and hopefully his display was a one off.

Fully agree Les, he was culpable of a multitude of misplaced passes including those that went straight into touch, but he did have a few good runs into the channels and backed up hessentailer quite well but as you say, definitely his worst performance in a town shirt to date...oh, and not the only one might I add!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
Posh Harry
September 17, 2018, 12:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,351
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Garth

Vernon should always be a starter IMO, him and Thomas are along with Cook capable of being dangerous.
The problem is service from midfield is poor and as such they are always fighting for 50/50 balls.
The defence centrally needs a shake up, too much pressure on our keeper

Please, please, please tell you mean Vernam!! 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 42
Northbank Mariner
September 17, 2018, 12:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

Please, please, please tell you mean Vernam!! 😉

Christ, right now I'd take Vernon, at least he could the ball up!!...and the route one stuff macca seems so adamant to instigate when he panics we'd have a front man.who's taller the jimmy Cranky!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
marinerdazza
September 17, 2018, 12:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,841
Gold Stars: 82
Happy to be wrong about Famewo, I still like him though.

One other point which might add a bit more perspective and I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but Yeovil's result at Newport. Again, might be some straw clutching on my part, but it doesn't make our performance against them look quite as bad.

Yeovil had some big lads. I suspect they played Newport at their own game and won convincingly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
fishboyUTM
September 17, 2018, 1:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,067
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'd say that Charles Vernam is capable of doing that and like Surridge probably only needs to do it 3 or 4 times a game. Trouble is we seem reluctant to play him and, when he does get on, he's going too deep looking for the ball in the first place.

Charles Vernam is a quality footballer who is being criminally underused and played out of position. Okay, we don’t see him in training but when he’s played, albeit out of position he’s looked quicker, stronger and fitter than last season. He should be the first name on the team sheet and our number 9, not out wide. Certainly not on the bench.

Trouble is when he isn’t in the team or is being shunted wide, he will lose confidence and belief.

Jolley should take him to the side, tell him he believes in him and no matter what, he is going to get a run of half a dozen games up top and I believe we would reap the rewards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
carrot top
September 17, 2018, 1:09pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
I thought Famewo was poor too. I lost count of thimes in the first half when he slowed the play down having got into a decent position out wide. He justs seems to hesitate

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
Roast Em Bobby
September 17, 2018, 1:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 44
I watched on iFollow, and apart from kneeing the ball across our own box at one stage, Famewo played very well and I was thinking to myself how well he played the ball out on the ground to one of our midfielders. Not sure what game you and your mate were were watching Les tbh.

If you watch the goals again, it was Rose  who didn't cover round the back when Hendrie went lunging in near the touchline for the first goal, and it was Rose who lost his man for the third goal. Not trying to pick on Rose as he was one of our better players overall. Point is though that none of the goals came about down Famewo's side of the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
Les Brechin
September 17, 2018, 2:03pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,699
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I watched on iFollow, and apart from kneeing the ball across our own box at one stage, Famewo played very well and I was thinking to myself how well he played the ball out on the ground to one of our midfielders. Not sure what game you and your mate were were watching Les tbh.

If you watch the goals again, it was Rose  who didn't cover round the back when Hendrie went lunging in near the touchline for the first goal, and it was Rose who lost his man for the third goal. Not trying to pick on Rose as he was one of our better players overall. Point is though that none of the goals came about down Famewo's side of the pitch.

I was watching the same game as the majority of people around me where as he was getting plenty of criticism for his performance.

As I mentioned before, I think I lost count of the amount of times he received the ball only to lump it down the wing and out of play under no pressure at all. I've been a big fan of his recently but for me he was poor by his standards on Saturday.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
Northbank Mariner
September 17, 2018, 2:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

We we're watching the game that Famewo on several occasions, whilst trying to pass down the line or around the man in front of him, put the ball into touch..
Think what Les is getting at is that Famewo is good, very good but had an off day on Saturday,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Surridge

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.