Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: marinerdazza, September 17, 2018, 10:15am
Didn't realise who this player was. I've since heard Preston are after him. Feels a bit like we were taken apart by an exceptional player at this level. It's happened before.

Central defence still needs sorting though. Can't really fault Famewo (who I thought had a good game) or Hendrie.

Also, I know Pringle only had a bit part, but his corner taking looked very good. Shame there was never anyone on the end of them...could've done with Whitmore on.

I'm as gutted as anyone, but now the dust has settled I don't think it's quite as bleak as it seemed at 4.50pm.
Posted by: Garth, September 17, 2018, 10:32am; Reply: 1
Oh it's bleak fkin bleak and could easily get bleaker.
Let's hope the management brains can conjure a win from somewhere soon
Posted by: marinerdazza, September 17, 2018, 10:35am; Reply: 2
Oh, ok. Bleak it is.

UTM
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 17, 2018, 10:39am; Reply: 3
I'd say 5 points from 8 games and a minus 10 goal difference was pretty bleak.
Posted by: marinerdazza, September 17, 2018, 10:46am; Reply: 4
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I'd say 5 points from 8 games and a minus 10 goal difference was pretty bleak.

Absolutely, I'm convinced. We're going down.
Posted by: RoboCod, September 17, 2018, 10:55am; Reply: 5
Quoted from marinerdazza
Didn't realise who this player was. I've since heard Preston are after him. Feels a bit like we were taken apart by an exceptional player at this level. It's happened before.

Central defence still needs sorting though. Can't really fault Famewo (who I thought had a good game) or Hendrie.

Also, I know Pringle only had a bit part, but his corner taking looked very good. Shame there was never anyone on the end of them...could've done with Whitmore on.

I'm as gutted as anyone, but now the dust has settled I don't think it's quite as bleak as it seemed at 4.50pm.

Didn't realise it was Surridge, sounded like Sturridge on the radio the numerous times he was mentioned, but even by radio commentary standards he was the standout player. They obviously cottoned onto the fact that our defence is creaky and not on the same wavelength as he simply given the ball all the time and exploited it second half.

It also rams home the fact that we don't have such a player, someone to run at and scare the opposition constantly. It's all about the waiting game for us, waiting for a ground, waiting for a settled team, waiting for Thomas/Pringle/Welsh to be fully fit/match sharp, waiting for the young guns to gain experience etc.
It's a grind right now and has been for too long.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 17, 2018, 11:04am; Reply: 6
Quoted from RoboCod

Didn't realise it was Surridge, sounded like Sturridge on the radio the numerous times he was mentioned, but even by radio commentary standards he was the standout player. They obviously cottoned onto the fact that our defence is creaky and not on the same wavelength as he simply given the ball all the time and exploited it second half.

It also rams home the fact that we don't have such a player, someone to run at and scare the opposition constantly. It's all about the waiting game for us, waiting for a ground, waiting for a settled team, waiting for Thomas/Pringle/Welsh to be fully fit/match sharp, waiting for the young guns to gain experience etc.
It's a grind right now and has been for too long.

I'd say that Charles Vernam is capable of doing that and like Surridge probably only needs to do it 3 or 4 times a game. Trouble is we seem reluctant to play him and, when he does get on, he's going too deep looking for the ball in the first place.
Posted by: marinerdazza, September 17, 2018, 11:13am; Reply: 7
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'd say that Charles Vernam is capable of doing that and like Surridge probably only needs to do it 3 or 4 times a game. Trouble is we seem reluctant to play him and, when he does get on, he's going too deep looking for the ball in the first place.

I think Vernam is excellent and certianly capable of doing that. I note we get a lot of criticism for lack of pace. Vernam has loads.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 17, 2018, 11:19am; Reply: 8
Quoted from marinerdazza

I actually thought Famewo was poor on Saturday. Probably his worst game for us. I lost count of the amount of times he just kicked the ball out when playing it down the line. I have been fairly impressed with him until now but I didn't think he had a good game at all. In fact a friend of mine attending his first game of the season was very critical of him and I had to convince him that he has played quite well up until Saturday and hopefully his display was a one off.
Posted by: marinerdazza, September 17, 2018, 11:28am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Les Brechin

I actually thought Famewo was poor on Saturday. Probably his worst game for us. I lost count of the amount of times he just kicked the ball out when playing it down the line. I have been fairly impressed with him until now but I didn't think he had a good game at all. In fact a friend of mine attending his first game of the season was very critical of him and I had to convince him that he has played quite well up until Saturday and hopefully his display was a one off.

Funny how opinions differ. I thought he was pretty good going forward.
Posted by: Garth, September 17, 2018, 11:29am; Reply: 10
Quoted from marinerdazza

I think Vernam is excellent and certianly capable of doing that. I note we get a lot of criticism for lack of pace. Vernam has loads.

Vernon should always be a starter IMO, him and Thomas are along with Cook capable of being dangerous.
The problem is service from midfield is poor and as such they are always fighting for 50/50 balls.
The defence centrally needs a shake up, too much pressure on our keeper
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 17, 2018, 12:36pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Les Brechin

Fully agree Les, he was culpable of a multitude of misplaced passes including those that went straight into touch, but he did have a few good runs into the channels and backed up hessentailer quite well but as you say, definitely his worst performance in a town shirt to date...oh, and not the only one might I add!!
Posted by: Posh Harry, September 17, 2018, 12:39pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Garth

Vernon should always be a starter IMO, him and Thomas are along with Cook capable of being dangerous.
The problem is service from midfield is poor and as such they are always fighting for 50/50 balls.
The defence centrally needs a shake up, too much pressure on our keeper

Please, please, please tell you mean Vernam!! 😉
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 17, 2018, 12:43pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Posh Harry

Please, please, please tell you mean Vernam!! 😉

Christ, right now I'd take Vernon, at least he could the ball up!!...and the route one stuff macca seems so adamant to instigate when he panics we'd have a front man.who's taller the jimmy Cranky!!
Posted by: marinerdazza, September 17, 2018, 12:50pm; Reply: 14
Happy to be wrong about Famewo, I still like him though.

One other point which might add a bit more perspective and I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but Yeovil's result at Newport. Again, might be some straw clutching on my part, but it doesn't make our performance against them look quite as bad.

Yeovil had some big lads. I suspect they played Newport at their own game and won convincingly.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, September 17, 2018, 1:09pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Charles Vernam is a quality footballer who is being criminally underused and played out of position. Okay, we don’t see him in training but when he’s played, albeit out of position he’s looked quicker, stronger and fitter than last season. He should be the first name on the team sheet and our number 9, not out wide. Certainly not on the bench.

Trouble is when he isn’t in the team or is being shunted wide, he will lose confidence and belief.

Jolley should take him to the side, tell him he believes in him and no matter what, he is going to get a run of half a dozen games up top and I believe we would reap the rewards.
Posted by: carrot top, September 17, 2018, 1:09pm; Reply: 16
I thought Famewo was poor too. I lost count of thimes in the first half when he slowed the play down having got into a decent position out wide. He justs seems to hesitate
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, September 17, 2018, 1:13pm; Reply: 17
I watched on iFollow, and apart from kneeing the ball across our own box at one stage, Famewo played very well and I was thinking to myself how well he played the ball out on the ground to one of our midfielders. Not sure what game you and your mate were were watching Les tbh.

If you watch the goals again, it was Rose  who didn't cover round the back when Hendrie went lunging in near the touchline for the first goal, and it was Rose who lost his man for the third goal. Not trying to pick on Rose as he was one of our better players overall. Point is though that none of the goals came about down Famewo's side of the pitch.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 17, 2018, 2:03pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I watched on iFollow, and apart from kneeing the ball across our own box at one stage, Famewo played very well and I was thinking to myself how well he played the ball out on the ground to one of our midfielders. Not sure what game you and your mate were were watching Les tbh.

If you watch the goals again, it was Rose  who didn't cover round the back when Hendrie went lunging in near the touchline for the first goal, and it was Rose who lost his man for the third goal. Not trying to pick on Rose as he was one of our better players overall. Point is though that none of the goals came about down Famewo's side of the pitch.

I was watching the same game as the majority of people around me where as he was getting plenty of criticism for his performance.

As I mentioned before, I think I lost count of the amount of times he received the ball only to lump it down the wing and out of play under no pressure at all. I've been a big fan of his recently but for me he was poor by his standards on Saturday.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 17, 2018, 2:12pm; Reply: 19

We we're watching the game that Famewo on several occasions, whilst trying to pass down the line or around the man in front of him, put the ball into touch..
Think what Les is getting at is that Famewo is good, very good but had an off day on Saturday,
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 17, 2018, 2:23pm; Reply: 20
Oldham were a decent side and had some really good players at this level.  Not just Surridge but also Callum Lang who is on loan from Wigan.  I was surprised when they took him off in the second half as he was running the show first half.  Their strength was highlighted by the fact they had Jose Baxter and Ishmail Miller coming on as subs, both players I think we would be delighted to have in our starting eleven.

However it isn't just a case that we came up against a better side, it's the fact we played into their hands so naively. Their two centre-backs were absolute quality and just ate up everything we lumped forward to them, yet we persisted with aimless punts forward despite not even having anything resembling a target-man on the pitch.  The few times we actually bothered to play on the ground with quick link-up play we caused them no end of trouble.  
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, September 17, 2018, 3:49pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

We we're watching the game that Famewo on several occasions, whilst trying to pass down the line or around the man in front of him, put the ball into touch..
Think what Les is getting at is that Famewo is good, very good but had an off day on Saturday,

Anyone know of sites where you can get detailed stats, whilst I remember him kicking it out twice in fairly quick succession in the second half, I also remember hardly putting a foot wrong in the first half.

Posted by: Hagrid, September 17, 2018, 4:19pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from diehardmariner
Oldham were a decent side and had some really good players at this level.  Not just Surridge but also Callum Lang who is on loan from Wigan.  I was surprised when they took him off in the second half as he was running the show first half.  Their strength was highlighted by the fact they had Jose Baxter and Ishmail Miller coming on as subs, both players I think we would be delighted to have in our starting eleven.

However it isn't just a case that we came up against a better side, it's the fact we played into their hands so naively. Their two centre-backs were absolute quality and just ate up everything we lumped forward to them, yet we persisted with aimless punts forward despite not even having anything resembling a target-man on the pitch.  The few times we actually bothered to play on the ground with quick link-up play we caused them no end of trouble.  

im not too sure about that tbh!- meaning we would want them, Miller is awful and has been for years
I also dont think they were that good at all, we made it easy for them, they were shite in the 1st period
Posted by: marinerdazza, September 17, 2018, 4:35pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from marinerdazza

Absolutely, I'm convinced. We're going down.

Yeah well this backfired on me. Irony doesn't work when we've been stuffed. Lesson learned.
Posted by: ska face, September 17, 2018, 5:26pm; Reply: 24
I think the big difference is, unlike Surridge, I’ve never seen a defender give Vernam 10 yards to run at him then back away to the point where they’re almost sat in row F.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 17, 2018, 5:31pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from marinerdazza

Funny how opinions differ. I thought he was pretty good going forward.

I thought he spent most of his time kicking the ball into touch.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 17, 2018, 5:38pm; Reply: 26

We were the better side till they scored.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 17, 2018, 5:46pm; Reply: 27

It is all about opinions but I thought he had a shocker.He kept shanking it out for a throw when he was in a good position to play it up the line. It looks to me that he thinks he is better than he actually is. Perhaps he would be better at centre back.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 17, 2018, 6:31pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Hagrid

im not too sure about that tbh!- meaning we would want them, Miller is awful and has been for years
I also dont think they were that good at all, we made it easy for them, they were shite in the 1st period

No, you're right. I was much happier looking at our bench to see JJ Hooper and Louis Robles warming up.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, September 17, 2018, 7:09pm; Reply: 29
Just watched the first 20 mins from Saturday again and Famewo touched the ball 12 times. 9 touches were good and 3 skanks down the line that went out. Ill watch another 20mins later and count again.

We were pretty decent in those first 20 mins and quite unlucky not to score with 3 decent efforts.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 17, 2018, 7:53pm; Reply: 30

No, you're right. I was much happier looking at our bench to see JJ Hooper and Louis Robles warming up.

You're right, our threat from the bench must have had them quivering.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, September 17, 2018, 7:59pm; Reply: 31
Watched th rest of the first half in total Famewo touched it 26 times, 21 bits of good play and 5 occasions he gave away possession needlessly
Posted by: ginnywings, September 17, 2018, 8:02pm; Reply: 32
Famewo is 19 and has played a handful of league games, out of position. I don't think we envisaged him playing as much when we signed him, and certainly not as a makeshift left back. I think he's doing well considering and thought he was ok on Saturday. Yeah, he shanked a few but defended well on the whole.
Posted by: Maringer, September 17, 2018, 8:05pm; Reply: 33
I remember a Luton fan raving about him when he was signed on loan and they reckoned he'd be first choice at centre back before long. Also mentioned that he's most definitely not a full-back!

Given Collins' recent poor form, perhaps worth giving Famewo a run in the middle? I think his athleticism could be a real boon there.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, September 17, 2018, 8:08pm; Reply: 34
I agree Ginny I thought he played well on Saturday. That’s why I was surprised to see people saying he was poor. It would be a shrewd move to see if we could sign him permanently as I think he’ll play at a higher level in a few years time.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 17, 2018, 8:10pm; Reply: 35
I like Famewo, young, athletic and talented. Bit like Akheem Rose.
Posted by: OAFCWOOWB, September 17, 2018, 10:31pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from marinerdazza

He's no Scott Vernon
Posted by: marinerdazza, September 17, 2018, 11:23pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from OAFCWOOWB

He's no Scott Vernon

Who among us could say that we are? Trully?

*looks wistfully towards night sky*
Posted by: OAFCWOOWB, September 18, 2018, 12:11am; Reply: 38
Quoted from marinerdazza

Who among us could say that we are? Trully?

*looks wistfully towards night sky*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1hESTrXOUE
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 18, 2018, 8:25am; Reply: 39
Quoted from Maringer
I remember a Luton fan raving about him when he was signed on loan and they reckoned he'd be first choice at centre back before long. Also mentioned that he's most definitely not a full-back!

Given Collins' recent poor form, perhaps worth giving Famewo a run in the middle? I think his athleticism could be a real boon there.

There's such a lack of pace in our defence I don't think we've any option other than to play Famewo in the middle.  At the minute though that begs the question who would play at left-back, Woolford??
Posted by: Maringer, September 18, 2018, 9:12am; Reply: 40
I think Hendrie can play either side - or at least I think I remember reading that somewhere!

Davis is an OK-ish full-back, though it's obviously not ideal to have a player nominally a centre-half playing in that position.
Posted by: buckstown, September 18, 2018, 9:53am; Reply: 41
The back four at MK Dons was Dixon, Famewo, Whitmore, Davis and they did great (until Dixons red card on 82 minutes)
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 18, 2018, 11:16am; Reply: 42
Quoted from buckstown
The back four at MK Dons was Dixon, Famewo, Whitmore, Davis and they did great (until Dixons red card on 82 minutes)

I wouldn't have exactly said the word great, after 40 odd seconds of the second half, poor defending by Dixon allowed MK to put in a cross where our central defenders were marking thin air to allow a free header for MK's equaliser.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 11:11am