8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
August 21, 2018, 9:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
Well I don’t know anyone else who is going but im going so if anyone wants a lift let me know
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 74
MarinerMal
August 21, 2018, 10:01am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17
Each to their own but I don't understand why the attitude of "it's was over a decade ago, it's time to move on"

Why does time make a difference to the wrong that was done?

They killed two football clubs, one which had won the FA Cup in relatively recent history in a move which could well have been the beginning to rich owners purchasing football clubs and relocating them to more profitable areas of the country, like the supporters of the club are inconsequential. We may dislike clubs like Salford with rich owners but at least for the supporters of the club aren't left behind.

The consortium from Milton Keynes were trying very actively to find a football club to steal. It approached Luton, Wimbledon, Crystal Palace, Barnet and Queens Park Rangers.

It identified Wimbledon as the weakest target (because of issues with the local council) and zoned in for the kill. It was almost like a lioness surveying a heard of gazelles and identifying it's prey.

The protest still go on to this day to ensure nothing similar could ever happens again. If not, what would there to be to stop a rich owner buying GTFC for a couple of million and announce they were going to relocate club to an area more capable of sustaining a football club higher up the pyramid. Somewhere that have a higher populations in a more affluent area at the expense of the local team playing lower down the pyramid?

This is why many still protest and refuse to go.

You may think it's hurting Grimsby by not going when the opposite may very well be true.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 74
GrimRob
August 21, 2018, 10:10am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
I understand people not going but it's not going to change anything, other than result in one less voice backing our team. Milton Keynes is a big enough place to belong in the Football League. They took a short cut to get there (within the rules at the time) but they'd probably have managed by now even if they had taken the traditional route. Wimbledon had been homeless for several years, it's not as though they were plucked from a viable situation. I suspect their supporters have actually benefitted in the long term from the existence of MKD, it might have hurt at first, but they've formed a new club and been given permission to obliterate the greyhound stadium with their new ground.

I agree they should change the name though and drop the Dons. But there are a million things that concern me more than some other club's name.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 72 - 74
MarinerMal
August 21, 2018, 10:34am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from GrimRob
I understand people not going but it's not going to change anything, other than result in one less voice backing our team. Milton Keynes is a big enough place to belong in the Football League. They took a short cut to get there (within the rules at the time) but they'd probably have managed by now even if they had taken the traditional route. Wimbledon had been homeless for several years, it's not as though they were plucked from a viable situation. I suspect their supporters have actually benefitted in the long term from the existence of MKD, it might have hurt at first, but they've formed a new club and been given permission to obliterate the greyhound stadium with their new ground.

I agree they should change the name though and drop the Dons. But there are a million things that concern me more than some other club's name.

Totally and utterly misses the point.

They stole a football club from the fans and a football league place.

"it's not as though they were plucked from a viable situation" - Then how come WImbledon have a football league club now in a higher division then MK Dons?

It's not a matter of... well it all turned out alright in the end. It hasn't and won't until MKD reform and start again from the bottom of the pyramid like everyone else. Please don't forgive or forget such a travesty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 74
KingstonMariner
August 21, 2018, 6:21pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer
I appreciate the views of both sides of the spectrum. If you want to go and support GTFC, fine. If you don't on a point of principle, fine.

Personally, I visited Milton Keynes about 20 years ago and once was enough for me!

What's the situation with Kingstonian these days? Are they back playing in Kingston after being turfed out of their old ground the other year?

The Ks are back in Kingston borough, ground sharing with Corinthian Casuals just off the A3 near Tolworth.

If it’s the old canard about AFCW being as bad as MK Dons it rather misses the point about how the Ks got in such a financial mess in the first place. They had 14 years as a sub-tenant of AFCW and arguably had the Dons not stepped in they could have been homeless back in 2002 and completely folded then.

But it also illustrates the weakness of having one or two rich people owning a football club rather than it being Trust owned.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 74
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tuesday night

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.