jamesgtfc
August 17, 2018, 9:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Ipswin

Unfortunately I do, it was a shithole the last time I was there and I don't suppose it has seen much improvement since

As far as players having to be desperate to come to BP, it is a fact that players are not falling over themselves to join our club, they are not demanding transfers so that they can come to BP.

It really is time twits like Mighty Mariner and his ilk woke up and smelled the coffee. The number of so called 'targets' who have declined to come to Grimsby Town continues to grow every season.

Our latest acquisition was, like many before him, without a club and the season is already two weeks old. Perhaps you could draw up a list for Jolley of all the L2 (or above) level players other than those currently out of a club who, given the choice would wish to come to Grimsby Town (write it on the back of a stamp)

Its painful but its a fact and anyone who thinks different is kidding himself

This new bloke looks and sounds useful and could be a very useful addition indeed but I bet he didn't turn down many other offers to come to Town

Maybe I need to wake up and smell the coffee too but I would be more worried if no players rejected us.  Maybe players are rejecting us because we are being ambitious in who we are looking at.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 109
chaos33
August 17, 2018, 9:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Good point.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 109
Ipswin
August 17, 2018, 9:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Maybe players are rejecting us because we are being ambitious in who we are looking at.

I would love it if that were the case but sadly ambition with signings does not win matches (ask Lennie Lawrence) and they are still rejecting us because we are so unattractive to them , for whatever reason.

We are like it or not, bargain basement and therefore attract players to match.

Not to say this seasons signings will not be outstanding, Vernam, Hesenthaler and Welsh already look excellent to me

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 109
Stew0_0
August 17, 2018, 9:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 35
We are obviously looking at players who can improve us and are ambitious of our targets. If the press is true about us going for bowman in the scottish premier, Angol who signed for league one and Long who also went to Fleetwood in league one, I'd rather us go for players like this than sign anyone in the hope they come good.
The amount of players that have turned us down says we are aiming high and believe in Thomas we have made a pretty decent signing for this level due to our patience.
Well done Jolley.
Looking forward to tomorrow and hope thomas starts in place of Hooper
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 109
MuddyWaters
August 17, 2018, 9:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,240
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Why would you say that about a team you 'supposedly suppprt'?

Really? Are we supposed to blindly agree with everything the club does without any word of criticism?

I happen to think Wes Thomas is a good signing, however you might as well give Robles' shirt to one of the youth team kids like Burrell or Paul-Jones.

For me, support means that I want us to win every game and sign the best players possible within our means. However, current circumstances (lowly League 2 club with apparently moderate budget, crap ground & training facilities) mean that some turn us down. These are facts - doesn't mean I'm not a supporter - just a fuckingfrustrated one.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 109
Mighty_Mariner
August 17, 2018, 9:45pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Really? Are we supposed to blindly agree with everything the club does without any word of criticism?

I happen to think Wes Thomas is a good signing, however you might as well give Robles' shirt to one of the youth team kids like Burrell or Paul-Jones.

For me, support means that I want us to win every game and sign the best players possible within our means. However, current circumstances (lowly League 2 club with apparently moderate budget, crap ground & training facilities) mean that some turn us down. These are facts - doesn't mean I'm not a supporter - just a fuckingfrustrated one.

I agree with many of your points... However as a Grimsby Town fan/supporter, I cannot understand a train of thought that would allow me to say players must be desperate to sign for us.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 109
Mighty_Mariner
August 17, 2018, 9:53pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Ipswin

Unfortunately I do, it was a shithole the last time I was there and I don't suppose it has seen much improvement since

As far as players having to be desperate to come to BP, it is a fact that players are not falling over themselves to join our club, they are not demanding transfers so that they can come to BP.

It really is time twits like Mighty Mariner and his ilk woke up and smelled the coffee. The number of so called 'targets' who have declined to come to Grimsby Town continues to grow every season.

Our latest acquisition was, like many before him, without a club and the season is already two weeks old. Perhaps you could draw up a list for Jolley of all the L2 (or above) level players other than those currently out of a club who, given the choice would wish to come to Grimsby Town (write it on the back of a stamp)

This new bloke looks and sounds useful and could be a very useful addition indeed but I bet he didn't turn down many other offers to come to Town

I'm a twit because I don't agree with your monotonous, pessimist, negative views?

The most positive thing I've ever read from one of your posts was the last section baize in saying he looks 'useful'... But you just had to finish with yet more pessimism! How can you possibly know who and how many teams were interested in Wes Thomas?

You say players are not falling over themselves to sign for us... What about John Welsh who took a massive pay cut to join Town and said himself he'd had considerable interest from other teams but he'd CHOSEN town? What about Elliot Whitehouse who turned down a new deal at Lincoln to sign for Grimsby? Yes that's just two examples but I bet there are just as many 'reports' in of players turning down interest from elsewhere as there are of players turning US down.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 109
pizzzza
August 17, 2018, 9:54pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Ipswin

Bet you're good at parties. Seriously, why bother?
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 109
Ipswin
August 17, 2018, 10:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

How can you possibly know who and how many teams were interested in Wes Thomas?

Neither of us can of course but given that we are two weeks into the new season and he was still out of a job it seems likelty to me that there was not a queue of Football League clubs fighting to take him on

As for Welsh and the other bloke , granted they (allegedly) chose Town (above how many others we don't know - unless you do of course) but weren't they out of contract at their clubs?

Private Message
Reply: 88 - 109
Ipswin
August 17, 2018, 10:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Exactly

Private Message
Reply: 89 - 109
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › WES THOMAS

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.