5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
A.l.f.
August 1, 2018, 6:07pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
I like most others are excited about the new season and am encouraged by our new look midfield and fitter, leaner and keener squad.
Lets get behind the team and manager and if things don't start off so well, show patience as it may take a little time for things to happen.
MJ seems like a breath of fresh air and its nice to have a manager with new ideas and who conducts himself in an intelligent manner.  

The first 4 games are interesting:

FGR - Will be a tougher game than at the end of last season and made a few decent signings.
Macclesfield - Their first home match back in the League and will be up for it.
Lincoln - Local derby and often difficult and unpredictable.
MK Dons - Bookies Pre-season favs.

I hope we pick up a few points up but being a realist, we may not do as well as we all hope, but the next few games look better for picking up points.
So lets stay patient and keep behind the boys as confidence and support are massive.  Lets show MJ and the new lads how brilliant our support is and see where the season can take us.
Personally think it will be a good season if we can score plenty of goals. I will be at the first 4 games and be right behind us, but the season is 46 matches long remember.  UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
GrimExile
August 1, 2018, 7:54pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Good post. How people can put a X for a post like that amazes me!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 40
bluerose13x
August 1, 2018, 8:19pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +323
If we don't win the first match then Jolley out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 40
marinerdazza
August 1, 2018, 8:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,850
Gold Stars: 82
Good post. Hadn’t thought beyond the first game to be honest. We’ll come good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 40
ginnywings
August 1, 2018, 8:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
I tend not too get too despondant or too excited until after Christmas, but about a dozen games into the season gives an indication of how a team is shaping -but that can be misleading. Last season, we were going along ok, then dropped like a stone, before a late rally saved us. This season may be totally the opposite.........or not.  

The unpredictability is part of the appeal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 40
Rodley Mariner
August 1, 2018, 9:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
If we're not winning inside 10 minutes I'm going to be screaming either 'Get the flipping thing forwards' if we're patiently retaining possession or 'Keep hold of the flipping thing' if we're playing more directly. Really looking forward to it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 40
ginnywings
August 1, 2018, 9:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
If we're not winning inside 10 minutes I'm going to be screaming either 'Get the flipping thing forwards' if we're patiently retaining possession or 'Keep hold of the flipping thing' if we're playing more directly. Really looking forward to it.

Sounds about right.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 40
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 1, 2018, 9:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Tend to think we may experience a season similar to Buckley’s first year in charge. Improved and attractive style of play but one or two key jigsaw parts missing to make promotion a real possibility although maybe one or two signings from Sweden may give us a mid-term boost.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 40
MuddyWaters
August 1, 2018, 10:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
I think there's a few players who MJ wanted but hasn't got - for example, I don't think either Fox or Dixon are natural left wing-backs - remains to be seen if there's any more signings imminent.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 40
forza ivano
August 1, 2018, 10:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265
Looking at that start we might be struggling to even average a point per game, given that I wouldn't be confident in getting anything from Lincoln or the plastics
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 40
jock dock tower
August 1, 2018, 10:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from forza ivano
Looking at that start we might be struggling to even average a point per game, given that I wouldn't be confident in getting anything from Lincoln or the plastics

12 points, piece of pish.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 40
Tommy
August 1, 2018, 10:51pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Everyone knows league tables mean nothing until after 10 games unless we're top of the Championship after 5 games.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
joe56
August 1, 2018, 10:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
I watched the highlights of Forest Green’s recent pre-season game which they won 3-2 at Wrexham. On that evidence, they are a strong footballing side that might turn out to be one of the better teams in the division. We shouldn’t be too disheartened if we don’t get off to a winning start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 40
The Yard Dog
August 1, 2018, 11:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,500
Gold Stars: 74
I am hoping that MJ keep his unbeaten home record going, FGR will be a tougher test this season, which team has gelled the quickest during pre-season will win this one.

FGR could be the dark horse this season, maybe good that we play them first game.

The world cup seems a long time ago now,

Cannot wait for the FGR game, hopefully exciting times ahead.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
mariner tommy
August 1, 2018, 11:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,871
Gold Stars: 12
I’m the same this season as I am every season, full of optimism with no thought of losing and I’ve been in the bookies today and put my tenner on Town to be promoted at 8/1
Roll on Saturday

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 40
sam gy
August 2, 2018, 7:46am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
I am forever an optimist, but honestly I think if we
finish mid table this season we would have done alright for ourselves. We don’t have the squad, on paper, norresources as a football club to compete with the teams that are expected to do well this season (Notts, Lincoln, etc). But of course there’s the Accy Stanley factor, so you never know...

This season is important....I think it’ll be a season to lay some groundwork and go into a new season next year with some continuity and the same manager for the first time since our return to the league.

I’ll be there Sat. UTM.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
sam gy
August 2, 2018, 7:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Oh, and can some club buy Doidge from FGR in the next few days please? Ta.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 40
chaos33
August 2, 2018, 8:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from sam gy
I am forever an optimist, but honestly I think if we
finish mid table this season we would have done alright for ourselves. We don’t have the squad, on paper, norresources as a football club to compete with the teams that are expected to do well this season (Notts, Lincoln, etc). But of course there’s the Accy Stanley factor, so you never know...

This season is important....I think it’ll be a season to lay some groundwork and go into a new season next year with some continuity and the same manager for the first time since our return to the league.

I’ll be there Sat. UTM.

I think this is correct. We have added more quality, especially in centre midfield, where it has been desperately needed for years, and I think Jolley inspires confidence and trust, but we are short of 2 or 3 really good players IMO that would make the play offs seem likely. I've got mixed feelings about seeing so many of last season's 'Slade players' still here, although Jolley clearly got more out of them. I know that might be a bit controversial.

We really needed Whitehouse and it concerns me that we don't have a replacement for him of a similar style and a striker or two who look like they might improve on last season's goals output.

I think we'll do much better than last season because I think Jolley is a real winner, and I'll be right behind the club, but I'm not over expecting. Improvement and consolidation will make me happy in the first half of the season, and then see what January might bring. Jolley will need plenty of time to mould the squad he really wants, and one thing has be proven in L2 - you don't have to be that great to make the play offs.

UTM

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 40
diehardmariner
August 2, 2018, 8:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,602
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Joking aside, this will happen.

I don't know if it's because they got used to just seeing it launched or nervousness with our players keeping the ball, but towards the end of the season (especially the Notts County game) people around me were having heart attacks when we tried to pass it.  

Truth be told we can't seriously know what to expect from this season.  On paper alone we've strengthened beyond belief.   We have a very competent back up 'keeper which we didn't have last season.  In defence we've brought 3 guys in, each of whom look vastly better than Clarke and Osbourne.  The left side is a slight concern but we're in a better position than how we started the last season there.  In midfield Welsh is an upgrade on Summerfield (who I liked), Hessenthaler an upgrade on Berrett and Rose Mk II is an upgrade on Rose Mk I.  Up top Vernam and Cook are better than Vernon and Matt, Hooper also looks a far different player to the one who floundered for his first six months here.  Add to that we've got Clifton who wasn't even a consideration under Slade 12 months ago.  I still think we're a physical striker away from a complete squad too, wouldn't surprise me if one arrives before the window shuts.

There's far too much change in there to make a judgement, can't be done on a few pre-season games.  Not only have we had a big change around in players but also in our style of play.  Let's just see what happens, enjoy the ride and hopefully we'll have some success at the end of it.  
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 40
Bigdog
August 2, 2018, 8:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from chaos33

I think this is correct. We have added more quality, especially in centre midfield, where it has been desperately needed for years, and I think Jolley inspires confidence and trust, but we are short of 2 or 3 really good players IMO that would make the play offs seem likely. I've got mixed feelings about seeing so many of last season's 'Slade players' still here, although Jolley clearly got more out of them. I know that might be a bit controversial.

We really needed Whitehouse and it concerns me that we don't have a replacement for him of a similar style and a striker or two who look like they might improve on last season's goals output.

I think we'll do much better than last season because I think Jolley is a real winner, and I'll be right behind the club, but I'm not over expecting. Improvement and consolidation will make me happy in the first half of the season, and then see what January might bring. Jolley will need plenty of time to mould the squad he really wants, and one thing has be proven in L2 - you don't have to be that great to make the play offs.

UTM

Totally agree with this..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 40
Bigdog
August 2, 2018, 8:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from diehardmariner

Joking aside, this will happen.

I don't know if it's because they got used to just seeing it launched or nervousness with our players keeping the ball, but towards the end of the season (especially the Notts County game) people around me were having heart attacks when we tried to pass it.  

Truth be told we can't seriously know what to expect from this season.  On paper alone we've strengthened beyond belief.   We have a very competent back up 'keeper which we didn't have last season.  In defence we've brought 3 guys in, each of whom look vastly better than Clarke and Osbourne.  The left side is a slight concern but we're in a better position than how we started the last season there.  In midfield Welsh is an upgrade on Summerfield (who I liked), Hessenthaler an upgrade on Berrett and Rose Mk II is an upgrade on Rose Mk I.  Up top Vernam and Cook are better than Vernon and Matt, Hooper also looks a far different player to the one who floundered for his first six months here.  Add to that we've got Clifton who wasn't even a consideration under Slade 12 months ago.  I still think we're a physical striker away from a complete squad too, wouldn't surprise me if one arrives before the window shuts.

There's far too much change in there to make a judgement, can't be done on a few pre-season games.  Not only have we had a big change around in players but also in our style of play.  Let's just see what happens, enjoy the ride and hopefully we'll have some success at the end of it.  

And totally agree with this..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
ginnywings
August 2, 2018, 9:19am

Recovering Alcoholic
I also broadly agree with chaos and diehard. The comment from chaos about not having to be that good in league 2 to get to the play offs is what makes me think "why not"? Wycombe, Notts County and Lincoln didn't look at all fearsome to me, just organised and disciplined.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
1mickylyons
August 2, 2018, 9:44am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
I have said since we came up the standard in League 2 hasn`t been all that impressive if we can put a decent run together we can do well I expect midtable but I hope for the Play Offs.A couple more additions would help but probably every fan of every other club feels the same.C`mon Town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
Mariner_09
August 2, 2018, 9:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
I’d say (if we’re going to play 3 at the back) that we are short of an athletic and energetic left wing back. You need someone like Townsend or Andrew to play that role. I haven’t seen any pre-season games and have been in India for the last 4 weeks so I’m slightly ignorant as to our players. Are Faewoo (spelling), Whitmore or Davis athletic or good on the ball? Is Welsh the robust, hardman we’ve needed forever? Is Hessenthaler a decent ball player, again something we’ve needed forever? I can comment on the strikers and I reckon we’ll struggle. Unless JJ and Vernam can develop into a good partnership (both showed glimpses last season) then we might be ok. I’m just hoping that we’re more competitive, better fighters and more attractive than last season. I’d take a season of nothingness in 15th place and then hopefully get those players from Sweden he wants and build from there. Target top 7 next season for example. Just hope we fans stick with Jolley and buy into this different formation and identity and don’t just identify a scapegoat, blame the formation and moan about his “tactical ineptitude” when we’re 17th after 10 games.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
Reverendmariner
August 2, 2018, 10:01am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +275
In theory, I wouldn't mind another striker to cover injuries or loss of form from the first choices, but realise that a major problem in Slade's time was being overloaded with players who weren't really up to it. I also wonder if this might be the season where it all starts to unravel at Lincoln...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
1mickylyons
August 2, 2018, 10:20am
Special Brew Drinker
We haven't got a load of loanees YET so I suspect we may see some incoming over the next 10 days maybe he wants to give the current squad that first game and identify any weaknesses from that point before wasting money?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
Maringer
August 2, 2018, 10:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,493
Gold Stars: 185
Regarding giving a team time to gel and not panicking early in the season:

1997/98 - 4 points from the first 6 games (and we'd spent a lot of money)

As long as we look like we have a plan and are developing, a poor start to the season doesn't necessarily indicate that disaster lies ahead - especially when you consider that there are 4 promotion places in the 4th Division.

That said, you'd expect FGR to do something eventually given the vast amounts of money they have been spending (and we know they have a decent manager there). Similarly, Lincoln are still on the up and have been splashing the cash as are BFS FC.

I'd probably be happy enough with just a few points from the first 4 games, providing we were playing OK. Obviously would prefer a lot more, however!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
1mickylyons
August 2, 2018, 11:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Regarding giving a team time to gel and not panicking early in the season:

1997/98 - 4 points from the first 6 games (and we'd spent a lot of money)

As long as we look like we have a plan and are developing, a poor start to the season doesn't necessarily indicate that disaster lies ahead - especially when you consider that there are 4 promotion places in the 4th Division.

That said, you'd expect FGR to do something eventually given the vast amounts of money they have been spending (and we know they have a decent manager there). Similarly, Lincoln are still on the up and have been splashing the cash as are BFS FC.

I'd probably be happy enough with just a few points from the first 4 games, providing we were playing OK. Obviously would prefer a lot more, however!

97-98 we really started poorly and the pattern of play was hit n miss.I remember going to Chesterfield and we lost 1-0 and wondered where the next point was coming from ,then just that we went on a great run may have coincided with getting Wayne Burnett on loan?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
Maringer
August 2, 2018, 12:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,493
Gold Stars: 185
Too long ago to remember clearly, truth be told! I do recall that we'd looked really good in pre-season and had taken a couple of Scottish Premier clubs (Hearts and Dundee?) to pieces in those games. I don't remember being worried about our prospects for the season, though it was a very long time ago now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
Grantley
August 2, 2018, 12:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
I get that Whitehouse will be a miss but as a midfielder who makes runs? Not so much. Watching the highlights back of the last couple of games and some games from last year, Mitch Rose is forever making runs into the box that we don’t really seem to see. Surely that’s something to work on?

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
nealeardleyscrossing
August 2, 2018, 1:27pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Reverendmariner
In theory, I wouldn't mind another striker to cover injuries or loss of form from the first choices, but realise that a major problem in Slade's time was being overloaded with players who weren't really up to it. I also wonder if this might be the season where it all starts to unravel at Lincoln...

I would love to know why you think it will start to unravel at Lincoln?

I certainly don't think we will smash the league by any stretch, and our start is difficult, Northampton away and Swindon at home, followed by a local derby.

But to unravel?, we are completely unrecognisable from 3 years ago. Highest season ticket sales in the division, sell out almost every home game, large away followings - This could go on for some time.

More importantly, this is the strongest team we have had for years, there is barely a weak link, our attacking options are the best I have seen for years. It may not gel, but we have loads of options.

Secondly the infrastructure is so much better now, training ground, ground improvements - these have been done to safeguard our future, so I don't think we will unravel, we may not go up, but in my opinion we will be strong, and this year not just the first 11. We have moved on fringe players, and bought in upgrades -

As a side issue, I actually think you will do okay, I actually for once, hope you smash Village green by about 5. Cooper is a horrible pest.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 40
Cloudy
August 2, 2018, 2:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

I certainly don't think we will smash the league by any stretch, and our start is difficult, Northampton away and Swindon at home, followed by a local derby.

But to unravel?, we are completely unrecognisable from 3 years ago. Highest season ticket sales in the division, sell out almost every home game, large away followings - This could go on for some time.

More importantly, this is the strongest team we have had for years, there is barely a weak link, our attacking options are the best I have seen for years. It may not gel, but we have loads of options.

Secondly the infrastructure is so much better now, training ground, ground improvements - these have been done to safeguard our future, so I don't think we will unravel, we may not go up, but in my opinion we will be strong, and this year not just the first 11. We have moved on fringe players, and bought in upgrades -

As a side issue, I actually think you will do okay, I actually for once, hope you smash Village green by about 5. Cooper is a horrible pest.

'Strongest team for years' , huge investment and therefore promotion will be demanded by many of those fans! Expectations will be huge, deliver and momentum will carry you forward, stutter and those fans, and boardroom pressure becomes a millstone round the neck. Same anywhere and Imps will be no different
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 40
diehardmariner
August 2, 2018, 2:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,602
Gold Stars: 538

You think you've brought upgrades in.  You don't know until they've settled into the side if they're upgrades or not, that's no different to us or any other football side.

For all the increased ticket sales and improved followings, these are largely fans who've not seen the bad times.  It's not that long ago that you were struggling to get 2,000 at home games.   For the however many 'new' fans you've got, they've not experienced those six-game winless streaks were you can't buy a goal, never mind a point in the dark days of November through to December.  They've not had to endure back-to-back goalless drab draws in the freezing cold against Morecambe and Yeovil.   How are they going to react to that?  Because it will happen.

They've had two years of unbelievable success.  Promotion, Wembley appearances, big FA Cup runs, a promotion push....that's not every day stuff.  

Don't get me wrong, the work that's going on at Sincil Bank is envious from our perspective.  Your board appear to value the importance of the fan experience and look to be working towards a model with them at the heart of it.  A lot is made of the money you're spending, but a lot has come in through cup runs and boosted ticket sales.  

However, let's just say that your upgrades aren't actually upgrades.  They don't fit in and it doesn't all work out.  You struggle and you finish 18th.  How many of the 8,000 fans are going to be signing up for another season of that?  Or are they going to go back to their armchairs where they can watch success week-in-week-out?  With reduced ticket sales are you going to be able to afford to pay those high earners who you gave lengthy deals to?

It's a gamble, like the one we're taking with Jolley and his offering of 3-year-deals, we're gambling that it's a success otherwise we're lumbered with players we don't want and can't offload.  

That's how it unravels. You wouldn't be the first, won't be the last side to think you're on the cusp of something only to fall from grace.  

For the record, I wouldn't like to say how any team will do this season.  There's a lot of money splashed about but it doesn't mean anything.  
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 40
nealeardleyscrossing
August 2, 2018, 2:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from diehardmariner

You think you've brought upgrades in.  You don't know until they've settled into the side if they're upgrades or not, that's no different to us or any other football side.

For all the increased ticket sales and improved followings, these are largely fans who've not seen the bad times.  It's not that long ago that you were struggling to get 2,000 at home games.   For the however many 'new' fans you've got, they've not experienced those six-game winless streaks were you can't buy a goal, never mind a point in the dark days of November through to December.  They've not had to endure back-to-back goalless drab draws in the freezing cold against Morecambe and Yeovil.   How are they going to react to that?  Because it will happen.

They've had two years of unbelievable success.  Promotion, Wembley appearances, big FA Cup runs, a promotion push....that's not every day stuff.  

Don't get me wrong, the work that's going on at Sincil Bank is envious from our perspective.  Your board appear to value the importance of the fan experience and look to be working towards a model with them at the heart of it.  A lot is made of the money you're spending, but a lot has come in through cup runs and boosted ticket sales.  

However, let's just say that your upgrades aren't actually upgrades.  They don't fit in and it doesn't all work out.  You struggle and you finish 18th.  How many of the 8,000 fans are going to be signing up for another season of that?  Or are they going to go back to their armchairs where they can watch success week-in-week-out?  With reduced ticket sales are you going to be able to afford to pay those high earners who you gave lengthy deals to?

It's a gamble, like the one we're taking with Jolley and his offering of 3-year-deals, we're gambling that it's a success otherwise we're lumbered with players we don't want and can't offload.  

That's how it unravels. You wouldn't be the first, won't be the last side to think you're on the cusp of something only to fall from grace.  

For the record, I wouldn't like to say how any team will do this season.  There's a lot of money splashed about but it doesn't mean anything.  

Its about now though isn't it. Don't mean to sound patronising, but history means very little. Its about now and as I say our infrastructure is to plan for the future.

As Cloudy says there is expectation, but so what, I think thats good. If the Cowley's fail, we will move on, we will be a better attraction now, Crowds, cash and training ground. The players we have moved on, allowed to move on had poor seasons or reached their ceiling. Danny said that we need better to go up, and the players records suggests we have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 40
Civvy at last
August 2, 2018, 3:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131
As a silly old 8ugger I've never really seen Lincoln as rivals.  More like the occasionally annoying little brother.
But quite frankly, I'd rather be in their situation than ours at the moment. Yes we do appear to be moving slightly in the right direction. But the main drawback to Town making real improvements is still in place!!!   The daft thing is, that it wouldn't take much to ignite the spark  Positive news on the new ground and a half decent cup run could really help turn things here around.  Imagine if we somehow got a new Chairman in the MJ mould. !!!!

Before RS went, I genuinely couldn't see me going to more than half a dozen games this season.  Now, here I am thinking of buying a half season ticket.  Decided against it as I may be out of action for a couple of months, but it was a serious option.

I don't particularly wish Lincoln harm, but if they do become established at finishing above us it will mean we can go no lower in terms of League clubs in our area. And that would be a very sad day indeed.    UTM

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
NorthseaMariner
August 2, 2018, 3:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,524
Gold Stars: 11

Its about now though isn't it. Don't mean to sound patronising, but history means very little. Its about now and as I say our infrastructure is to plan for the future.

As Cloudy says there is expectation, but so what, I think thats good. If the Cowley's fail, we will move on, we will be a better attraction now, Crowds, cash and training ground. The players we have moved on, allowed to move on had poor seasons or reached their ceiling. Danny said that we need better to go up, and the players records suggests we have.

I wish Lincoln no ill, I hope they do well, but really i’m Only interested in the town doing well.
I hope we can get things really going in a positive direction with the club, pretty much as Lincoln seem to have managed.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 40
NorthseaMariner
August 2, 2018, 3:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,524
Gold Stars: 11
Would I prefer Lincoln to do well rather than MKDons or Cabbage Patch Rovers, damn right I would.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 40
chaos33
August 2, 2018, 7:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
If you can be objective you have to say that Lincoln look damn good prospects to be right up there challenging for promotion.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
Cloudy
August 2, 2018, 7:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from chaos33
If you can be objective you have to say that Lincoln look damn good prospects to be right up there challenging for promotion.

Couldn't agree more and so they should be considering g the investment made
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
chaos33
August 2, 2018, 8:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Indeed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
headingly_mariner
August 2, 2018, 9:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
I’ll be right behind the team. Not expecting much more than mid table as I feel the squad is a bit light and we lack attacking quality. Hopefully that will change with a few quality signings over the next few days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 40
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lets be patient and support the boys

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.