August 2, 2018, 8:52am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from diehardmariner

Joking aside, this will happen.

I don't know if it's because they got used to just seeing it launched or nervousness with our players keeping the ball, but towards the end of the season (especially the Notts County game) people around me were having heart attacks when we tried to pass it.  

Truth be told we can't seriously know what to expect from this season.  On paper alone we've strengthened beyond belief.   We have a very competent back up 'keeper which we didn't have last season.  In defence we've brought 3 guys in, each of whom look vastly better than Clarke and Osbourne.  The left side is a slight concern but we're in a better position than how we started the last season there.  In midfield Welsh is an upgrade on Summerfield (who I liked), Hessenthaler an upgrade on Berrett and Rose Mk II is an upgrade on Rose Mk I.  Up top Vernam and Cook are better than Vernon and Matt, Hooper also looks a far different player to the one who floundered for his first six months here.  Add to that we've got Clifton who wasn't even a consideration under Slade 12 months ago.  I still think we're a physical striker away from a complete squad too, wouldn't surprise me if one arrives before the window shuts.

There's far too much change in there to make a judgement, can't be done on a few pre-season games.  Not only have we had a big change around in players but also in our style of play.  Let's just see what happens, enjoy the ride and hopefully we'll have some success at the end of it.  

And totally agree with this..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
ginnywings
August 2, 2018, 9:19am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I also broadly agree with chaos and diehard. The comment from chaos about not having to be that good in league 2 to get to the play offs is what makes me think "why not"? Wycombe, Notts County and Lincoln didn't look at all fearsome to me, just organised and disciplined.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
1mickylyons
August 2, 2018, 9:44am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
I have said since we came up the standard in League 2 hasn`t been all that impressive if we can put a decent run together we can do well I expect midtable but I hope for the Play Offs.A couple more additions would help but probably every fan of every other club feels the same.C`mon Town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
Mariner_09
August 2, 2018, 9:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I’d say (if we’re going to play 3 at the back) that we are short of an athletic and energetic left wing back. You need someone like Townsend or Andrew to play that role. I haven’t seen any pre-season games and have been in India for the last 4 weeks so I’m slightly ignorant as to our players. Are Faewoo (spelling), Whitmore or Davis athletic or good on the ball? Is Welsh the robust, hardman we’ve needed forever? Is Hessenthaler a decent ball player, again something we’ve needed forever? I can comment on the strikers and I reckon we’ll struggle. Unless JJ and Vernam can develop into a good partnership (both showed glimpses last season) then we might be ok. I’m just hoping that we’re more competitive, better fighters and more attractive than last season. I’d take a season of nothingness in 15th place and then hopefully get those players from Sweden he wants and build from there. Target top 7 next season for example. Just hope we fans stick with Jolley and buy into this different formation and identity and don’t just identify a scapegoat, blame the formation and moan about his “tactical ineptitude” when we’re 17th after 10 games.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
Reverendmariner
August 2, 2018, 10:01am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +275
In theory, I wouldn't mind another striker to cover injuries or loss of form from the first choices, but realise that a major problem in Slade's time was being overloaded with players who weren't really up to it. I also wonder if this might be the season where it all starts to unravel at Lincoln...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
1mickylyons
August 2, 2018, 10:20am
Special Brew Drinker
We haven't got a load of loanees YET so I suspect we may see some incoming over the next 10 days maybe he wants to give the current squad that first game and identify any weaknesses from that point before wasting money?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
Maringer
August 2, 2018, 10:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Regarding giving a team time to gel and not panicking early in the season:

1997/98 - 4 points from the first 6 games (and we'd spent a lot of money)

As long as we look like we have a plan and are developing, a poor start to the season doesn't necessarily indicate that disaster lies ahead - especially when you consider that there are 4 promotion places in the 4th Division.

That said, you'd expect FGR to do something eventually given the vast amounts of money they have been spending (and we know they have a decent manager there). Similarly, Lincoln are still on the up and have been splashing the cash as are BFS FC.

I'd probably be happy enough with just a few points from the first 4 games, providing we were playing OK. Obviously would prefer a lot more, however!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
1mickylyons
August 2, 2018, 11:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Regarding giving a team time to gel and not panicking early in the season:

1997/98 - 4 points from the first 6 games (and we'd spent a lot of money)

As long as we look like we have a plan and are developing, a poor start to the season doesn't necessarily indicate that disaster lies ahead - especially when you consider that there are 4 promotion places in the 4th Division.

That said, you'd expect FGR to do something eventually given the vast amounts of money they have been spending (and we know they have a decent manager there). Similarly, Lincoln are still on the up and have been splashing the cash as are BFS FC.

I'd probably be happy enough with just a few points from the first 4 games, providing we were playing OK. Obviously would prefer a lot more, however!

97-98 we really started poorly and the pattern of play was hit n miss.I remember going to Chesterfield and we lost 1-0 and wondered where the next point was coming from ,then just that we went on a great run may have coincided with getting Wayne Burnett on loan?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
Maringer
August 2, 2018, 12:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Too long ago to remember clearly, truth be told! I do recall that we'd looked really good in pre-season and had taken a couple of Scottish Premier clubs (Hearts and Dundee?) to pieces in those games. I don't remember being worried about our prospects for the season, though it was a very long time ago now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
Grantley
August 2, 2018, 12:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
I get that Whitehouse will be a miss but as a midfielder who makes runs? Not so much. Watching the highlights back of the last couple of games and some games from last year, Mitch Rose is forever making runs into the box that we don’t really seem to see. Surely that’s something to work on?

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lets be patient and support the boys

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.