5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
August 1, 2018, 10:42pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from forza ivano
Looking at that start we might be struggling to even average a point per game, given that I wouldn't be confident in getting anything from Lincoln or the plastics

12 points, piece of pish.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 40
Tommy
August 1, 2018, 10:51pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Everyone knows league tables mean nothing until after 10 games unless we're top of the Championship after 5 games.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
joe56
August 1, 2018, 10:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
I watched the highlights of Forest Green’s recent pre-season game which they won 3-2 at Wrexham. On that evidence, they are a strong footballing side that might turn out to be one of the better teams in the division. We shouldn’t be too disheartened if we don’t get off to a winning start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 40
The Yard Dog
August 1, 2018, 11:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
I am hoping that MJ keep his unbeaten home record going, FGR will be a tougher test this season, which team has gelled the quickest during pre-season will win this one.

FGR could be the dark horse this season, maybe good that we play them first game.

The world cup seems a long time ago now,

Cannot wait for the FGR game, hopefully exciting times ahead.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
mariner tommy
August 1, 2018, 11:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,869
Gold Stars: 12
I’m the same this season as I am every season, full of optimism with no thought of losing and I’ve been in the bookies today and put my tenner on Town to be promoted at 8/1
Roll on Saturday

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 40
sam gy
August 2, 2018, 7:46am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
I am forever an optimist, but honestly I think if we
finish mid table this season we would have done alright for ourselves. We don’t have the squad, on paper, norresources as a football club to compete with the teams that are expected to do well this season (Notts, Lincoln, etc). But of course there’s the Accy Stanley factor, so you never know...

This season is important....I think it’ll be a season to lay some groundwork and go into a new season next year with some continuity and the same manager for the first time since our return to the league.

I’ll be there Sat. UTM.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
sam gy
August 2, 2018, 7:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
Oh, and can some club buy Doidge from FGR in the next few days please? Ta.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 40
chaos33
August 2, 2018, 8:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from sam gy
I am forever an optimist, but honestly I think if we
finish mid table this season we would have done alright for ourselves. We don’t have the squad, on paper, norresources as a football club to compete with the teams that are expected to do well this season (Notts, Lincoln, etc). But of course there’s the Accy Stanley factor, so you never know...

This season is important....I think it’ll be a season to lay some groundwork and go into a new season next year with some continuity and the same manager for the first time since our return to the league.

I’ll be there Sat. UTM.

I think this is correct. We have added more quality, especially in centre midfield, where it has been desperately needed for years, and I think Jolley inspires confidence and trust, but we are short of 2 or 3 really good players IMO that would make the play offs seem likely. I've got mixed feelings about seeing so many of last season's 'Slade players' still here, although Jolley clearly got more out of them. I know that might be a bit controversial.

We really needed Whitehouse and it concerns me that we don't have a replacement for him of a similar style and a striker or two who look like they might improve on last season's goals output.

I think we'll do much better than last season because I think Jolley is a real winner, and I'll be right behind the club, but I'm not over expecting. Improvement and consolidation will make me happy in the first half of the season, and then see what January might bring. Jolley will need plenty of time to mould the squad he really wants, and one thing has be proven in L2 - you don't have to be that great to make the play offs.

UTM

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 40
diehardmariner
August 2, 2018, 8:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
If we're not winning inside 10 minutes I'm going to be screaming either 'Get the flipping thing forwards' if we're patiently retaining possession or 'Keep hold of the flipping thing' if we're playing more directly. Really looking forward to it.

Joking aside, this will happen.

I don't know if it's because they got used to just seeing it launched or nervousness with our players keeping the ball, but towards the end of the season (especially the Notts County game) people around me were having heart attacks when we tried to pass it.  

Truth be told we can't seriously know what to expect from this season.  On paper alone we've strengthened beyond belief.   We have a very competent back up 'keeper which we didn't have last season.  In defence we've brought 3 guys in, each of whom look vastly better than Clarke and Osbourne.  The left side is a slight concern but we're in a better position than how we started the last season there.  In midfield Welsh is an upgrade on Summerfield (who I liked), Hessenthaler an upgrade on Berrett and Rose Mk II is an upgrade on Rose Mk I.  Up top Vernam and Cook are better than Vernon and Matt, Hooper also looks a far different player to the one who floundered for his first six months here.  Add to that we've got Clifton who wasn't even a consideration under Slade 12 months ago.  I still think we're a physical striker away from a complete squad too, wouldn't surprise me if one arrives before the window shuts.

There's far too much change in there to make a judgement, can't be done on a few pre-season games.  Not only have we had a big change around in players but also in our style of play.  Let's just see what happens, enjoy the ride and hopefully we'll have some success at the end of it.  
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 40
Bigdog
August 2, 2018, 8:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from chaos33

I think this is correct. We have added more quality, especially in centre midfield, where it has been desperately needed for years, and I think Jolley inspires confidence and trust, but we are short of 2 or 3 really good players IMO that would make the play offs seem likely. I've got mixed feelings about seeing so many of last season's 'Slade players' still here, although Jolley clearly got more out of them. I know that might be a bit controversial.

We really needed Whitehouse and it concerns me that we don't have a replacement for him of a similar style and a striker or two who look like they might improve on last season's goals output.

I think we'll do much better than last season because I think Jolley is a real winner, and I'll be right behind the club, but I'm not over expecting. Improvement and consolidation will make me happy in the first half of the season, and then see what January might bring. Jolley will need plenty of time to mould the squad he really wants, and one thing has be proven in L2 - you don't have to be that great to make the play offs.

UTM

Totally agree with this..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lets be patient and support the boys

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.