9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
fiveallive
July 11, 2018, 10:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
England need to move forward with players like Harry Winks he has fantastic passing ability like Michael Carrick, and hopefully putting his injuries behind him he should be the first name on the team sheet moving forward.

A midfield three with Henderson, Winks and Oxlaide-Chamberlain is a decent midfield moving forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 88
Maringer
July 11, 2018, 10:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Gaffer58
It was noticeable that when we were under the cosh prior to their goal we reverted back to the old routine of Stones passing back to Pickford who booted it up for a hopeful head on. Hopefully with a bit more experience and the younger players getting a couple more years older we can play pass and move more.

This was the most disappointing thing. The much-vaunted new approach, confidence and positive attitude dissipated quickly the moment a bit of pressure was put on us. Southgate's 3-5-2(ish) formation relies on the defenders to push up and take the ball into midfield and forward. We bottled it tonight and did pretty much what GTFC do when we've struggled in recent season. Possession for possession's sake across the back is pointless if you end up lumping it forward in hope and invariably give the opposition the ball. You'd be better off chipping it into the corner for a forward to run onto or even for an opposition throw-in deep in their own half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 88
ginnywings
July 11, 2018, 10:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
No complaints from me. Croatia just had more guile and craft in midfield as i feared they would, and if anyone deserved to get the winner it was them. Perisic was immense. Not really quick or tricky, but he powered up and down like a bulldozer all game. It's just that little step up that we can't quite bridge, and again England produce good players, but very rarely world class ones. It was a combination of good set pieces and a favourable draw that got us as far as we did, but both times we played against opposition with better quality players, we lost.

Did well, restored a bit of faith, but ultimately, not quite good enough to get those goals in open play that you need at the right times. Think the French should win it now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 88
arryarryarry
July 11, 2018, 10:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from scrumble

For getting them to the semi-finals for the first time since 1990

I would say more by luck than judgement.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 88
Maringer
July 11, 2018, 10:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
I'd imagine the odds on a French victory must be rather short. The difference in the way they defended their lead last night in comparison to us is night and day. I think they'll need to get an early red card for the Croats to have a chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 88
promotion plaice
July 11, 2018, 11:07pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

How many of us are really interested in watching the 3rd place play-off game ....Belgium v England 15:00 on Saturday......bit of an unnecessary urine take if you ask me.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 88
Manchester Mariner
July 11, 2018, 11:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from promotion plaice

How many of us are really interested in watching the 3rd place play-off game ....Belgium v England 15:00 on Saturday......bit of an unnecessary urine take if you ask me.

The 3rd/4th place game is the most depressing game in football for most folk apart from all 3 people salivating at the prospect of a rematch of England B vs. Belgium B. Let's see them throw beer over each other in fan parks in Croydon for that.

Saying that, I've still got Kane on for the golden boot so I'd appreciate a goal from him or no goals from Lukaku.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 88
Abdul19
July 11, 2018, 11:16pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,560
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Maringer
I think they'll need to get an early red card for the Croats to have a chance.

If Mbappe AND Varane go they'll win it!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 88
Abdul19
July 11, 2018, 11:18pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,560
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

The 3rd/4th place game is the most depressing game in football apart from all 3 people salivating at the prospect of a rematch of England B vs. Belgium B. Let's see them throw beer over each other in fan parks in Croydon for that.

Saying that, I've still got Kane on for the golden boot so I'd appreciate a goal from him or no goals from Lukaku.

Yeah, can't imagine anyone wants to be involved in that. Welbeck and Batsthingy will probably both play ahead of those 2 so I'll watch purely for the comedy finishing.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 88
promotion plaice
July 11, 2018, 11:30pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

I've come to the conclusion after tonight that in my lifetime I've got more chance of seeing the Fentydome than the full England team winning anything.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England v Croatia Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.