Abdul19
July 12, 2018, 11:28am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,528
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Ipswin

be nice if he played the second XI after all 3rd or 4th it's all wooden spoon - he won't of course it will be Harry (where's the goal) Kane and his mates yet again.

I reckon he'll play a similar team to the one that played Belgium 2 weeks ago.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 88
lew chaterleys lover
July 13, 2018, 5:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,690
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Maringer
We got a round or two past our correct level due to the luck of the draw and fell short when our lack of quality was found out up front and in midfield. Too reliant on Kane, Rashford nowhere near at the moment and Sterling never looks like scoring for England, for all his other qualities. Vardy not suited for international football where he's not going to get the space he usually works in.

Lots of OK players, few anywhere near world class. Alli is pretty much rubbish at international level and he'll have to do one hell of a lot for England to prove otherwise for me (if he's in form which deserves selection).

The way Southgate failed to react and make a positive change when were on the back foot against Colombia and again tonight worries me for the future. I expect we'll qualify for the next Euros but I'd be surprised if we got past the quarters in that with our current approach. I hope one or two good young central midfielders emerge in the next couple of years as we can't rely on Henderson to be more than decent. Worryingly, Maguire and Stones both panicked quite bit tonight but I think they are decent footballers overall so hopefully they'll improve over the next two years. Young not an international full-back so I hope Rose has a good couple of years, Trippier lacking pace and strength. I'd prefer to see Walker at wing-back with another player in the back three if we're going to continue with the current formation. Or perhaps Alexander-Arnold?

Lingard OK, but no more than that. I hope Loftus-Cheek has a good couple of years somewhere (guessing not at Chelsea) as he is one with great potential to emerge this tournament. Also, lots of credit to Pickford who had the odd flap tonight, but can't be criticised with the ongoing panic in front of him because he's been very solid even when having to deal with endless back passes to whack clear.

That seems very harsh to me.

We must have done a lot right to get to a World Cup semi final, whenever and wherever it is played. After all we have only done it twice before.

We were much the better side in the first half, and had we scored another, which we deserved, it would have been difficult for Croatia to come back.

Croatia had the better of the second half, and extra time was more even, but they got the all important goal. I think a draw after extra time would have been a fair result.

We were miles better than in any tournament for decades, and had a new spirit and humility which was much appreciated by the public. A young side too, and hopefully we can now really progress as an international side. I hope so anyway.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 88
Les Brechin
July 13, 2018, 5:40pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,700
Gold Stars: 174
***BREAKING NEWS***

FIFA officials have noticed that Croatia used a player that was yellow carded two games ago. He should have missed the last two games.

FIFA officials could disqualify Croatia from the World Cup, meaning England could potentially still be on their way to the final!

This news is official and can be checked on the BBC website. It was brought to the attention of the chairman of FIFA only 25 minutes ago.

Carlsberg don't do messageboard posts, but if they did, this would be the best messageboard post of the World Cup 2018!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 88
TownSNAFU5
July 13, 2018, 5:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,872
Gold Stars: 42
Belgium had a talented team and very skilful midfield. They were still stopped by France. We are on the long road to success, which will be difficult.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 88
ginnywings
July 13, 2018, 6:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
There is some confusion as to whether Rebic was booked twice or not. This is in no way sour grapes, because i felt Croatia were the better side, but the ref seemed unduly lenient to Croatia and i was a bit iffy about him taking charge of the game before it even kicked off. How Lovren didn't even get a booking all night remains a complete mystery. He committed several bad fouls and berated the ref on more than one occasion. The Turkish ref has previous for sending off English players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 88
Abdul19
July 13, 2018, 6:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
I think the refs have been lenient all tournament. Letting the game flow is one thing, but not punishing cynical pull backs and whatnot is another.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 88
Gaffer58
July 13, 2018, 7:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Abdul19
I think the refs have been lenient all tournament. Letting the game flow is one thing, but not punishing cynical pull backs and whatnot is another.

The refs are told by FIFA to be very lenient with yellow/ red cards. This all goes back to the last time it was held in Germany, in 2006 when Ballack got booked in the semi, a second yellow added to one from a previous game, hence missed  the final. Just imagine if the final was Portugal v Argentina and both Ronaldo and Messi were suspended, McDonald's and Kia would be in melt down. Just watch how once the premier starts how players will be getting booked for a lot lesser infringement than one at the World Cup.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 88
Abdul19
July 13, 2018, 8:55pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Gaffer58

The refs are told by FIFA to be very lenient with yellow/ red cards. This all goes back to the last time it was held in Germany, in 2006 when Ballack got booked in the semi, a second yellow added to one from a previous game, hence missed  the final. Just imagine if the final was Portugal v Argentina and both Ronaldo and Messi were suspended, McDonald's and Kia would be in melt down. Just watch how once the premier starts how players will be getting booked for a lot lesser infringement than one at the World Cup.

The cards are wiped after the quarter finals now to avoid that happening, so it's nothing to do with that.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 88
Gaffer58
July 13, 2018, 9:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Abdul, that's why, a booking in the semi counts for nothing as there's only the final  of third/ fourth place to play so you cannot miss the final unless you get s not off in the semi.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England v Croatia Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.