Ipswin
July 4, 2018, 4:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Grim74
Sorry but this is one of the worst England teams I have seen to have ever reached a World Cup, lets be totally honest we are not going to win the World Cup we couldn’t even must up a shot on target through open play during the first 90 mins against what Ian Wright described as a poor team. The worst thing for me is that if Sweden knock us out the quater finals we will take that as a minor success and tell Southgate to carry on with his bland cautious crap football.

Careful, you're not allowed to a) have an opinion even if it is accurate and b) definitely not allowed to air it on here, unless you welcome horrendous mindless abuse from some moron or other, it is a forum for rose tinted bespectacled idiots only

We did not have a shot on target and the Colombian goalkeeper did not have to make a single save

If our next opponents realise that you can't wrestle players to the ground and the penalties therefore dry up we are copulated

Our top scorer and Golden Boot candidate has out of his total 3 penalties and one he knew absolutely nowt about as it just hit him

Our total inability to score from open play against anyone other than Africas best and Central Americas second best will be our undoing

Southgate has achieved nowt and is being heralded as some sort of genius (bit like Jolley really but at least he avoided relegation) and will no doubt still be the England manager for the next Euros and next World Cup as a simple progression to the last 8 is for some reason seen as a fantastic success

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 135
KingstonMariner
July 4, 2018, 6:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Get a room you two.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 135
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 4, 2018, 8:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Ipswin

Careful, you're not allowed to a) have an opinion even if it is accurate and b) definitely not allowed to air it on here, unless you welcome horrendous mindless abuse from some moron or other, it is a forum for rose tinted bespectacled idiots only

We did not have a shot on target and the Colombian goalkeeper did not have to make a single save

If our next opponents realise that you can't wrestle players to the ground and the penalties therefore dry up we are copulated

Our top scorer and Golden Boot candidate has out of his total 3 penalties and one he knew absolutely nowt about as it just hit him

Our total inability to score from open play against anyone other than Africas best and Central Americas second best will be our undoing

Southgate has achieved nowt and is being heralded as some sort of genius (bit like Jolley really but at least he avoided relegation) and will no doubt still be the England manager for the next Euros and next World Cup as a simple progression to the last 8 is for some reason seen as a fantastic success

I really cannot see what there is to argue about there. Perfectly realistic assessment as was Grim74’s. It is all true but the rose tinted chaps just won’t accept it.

You have to look beyond the obvious surely. Just because a side reaches the QFs does not make them world beaters. England may have a realistic chance of reaching the final in some ways but it depends on two things - scoring goals from free play and defending properly against teams who are better than the low ranked sides we have played.

People have mentioned the achievements of Greece and Portugal but forget to say that the overall standard of the tournaments they won was appalling. They had to be, otherwise Greece and Portugal would not have won. Likewise this tournament could be won by England or Belgium or Sweden or .... none of whom are sides I would walk across the road to see play. Yes, there have been so exciting games, yes there are odd flashes of sublime skill but the overall standard so far is as low as any WC that I can remember. In fact the Spain/Russia game must rank as one of the most dire WC matches ever.

Southgate deserves a lot of credit for papering over the cracks as well as he has, covering the lack of class players with effort and organisation, but he is lacking in tactical nous before and during games. His subs are reminiscent of Hurst at BP. Also, for someone who has supposedly drilled the side in rapid fire short passing, England players soon forget his preaching. They spent much of the last match launching the ball hopefully up towards Kane which must have surprised some of his fans on the Fishy. But Saint Southgate has all his eggs in one basket because his subs bench does not include anyone who can change a game so it’s a case of “I’ve started so I’ll finish”.

I don’t rate Sterling but coming off the bench he could make more  impact against a tiring defence than he does running into defenders as a starter. Ali has never been fit from the first whistle against Tunisia but playing him shows how limited the resources and tactics are. But that is only tinkering really. We have what we have and barring injuries there are no better players waiting to come in. The manager has very few options bar hope and prayer.

Last night was exciting, absolutely  riveting, especially at the end, but surely nobody can think it should have got that close. But I’ve seen games just as exciting on Bradley and Barratts. Exciting does not automatically mean the same as great high quality football. If we are at a level of struggling against teams like Tunisia and Colombia then let’s have a bit of realism and stop this silly name calling of those who do not toe the whoopee party line as being negative. We are not negative. I hope we beat Sweden just as much as anyone, more than most in fact because I have followed every WC since 1958 and know what is quality and what isn’t.  But I support England like mad, just like I support Town, regardless of our relative standing and the ability or lack of it on the park.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 135
realist
July 4, 2018, 8:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
Jesus Christ. We comfortably got through the group stage. Won three matches, got the penalties monkey off our backs. Why not just enjoy the moment. Be critical afterwards as much as you like, but I'm enjoying every minute of this. Stop trying to spoil it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 135
Cloudy
July 4, 2018, 9:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
It is Tournament football,

If you win the Premiership or even League 2 then, imo, you are the best side and deserved winners.

To win a cup is totally different, you need to win a few one off matches. That is where England are at present. They could win 3 on a trot, it isn't about being a fantastic side it is just about winning through the next tie.
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 135
lew chaterleys lover
July 4, 2018, 10:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
I have just browsed this thread, and am surprised at the amount of flak given to England.

We have been impressive - so much better than usual. The low point for me was when we played Italy in the Euros and we spent the entire 120 minutes playing the ball between the back 4 then booting it upfield  to Pirlo so he could start another Italian attack. That night I wondered if we would ever, ever get the hang of international football and the importance of not just keeping the ball but all the intent and movement and interaction that goes with it.

We are far from perfect now, but it has been a breath of fresh air to see us play out from the back with pace and purpose, and we have every chance of going further in the competition. There is the small matter of other countries best players trying to stop us playing to take into account.

Some players get on my nerves when playing for their clubs, especially Sterling, but once they pull on the England jersey all that is forgotten surely?  This is tournament football, and the only thing that matters is winning; some of the most attractive teams in the world have already gone home and it is just about getting the right results when it matters and England have done well so far.
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 135
lew chaterleys lover
July 4, 2018, 10:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Grim74

Greece, and Portugal were not the best team on paper but by winning the tournament they rightly became the best team at the respective tournaments, and from what I remember especially of Greece they were playing some great football. We finished top of the group stage unbeaten in 66, we beat Mexico France, knocked out Argentina and Portugal, and then beat the Germans and having watched the final I’d say convincingly, we won the World Cup because we were the best team.

No we weren't the best team in '66.

We were the most successful team in that particular tournament though. Portugal who had Euisebeo were a better footballing team than us, and Pele and Brazil got roughed up but they were a fantastic side as well. The best teams sometimes win a tournament if things go their way, but just often the winners are those that have been the most effective at winning the games as they come up. Mexico and France were nothing like they are today of course - both were pants in '66.
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 135
Rodley Mariner
July 4, 2018, 10:43pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
We're a young team with a young manager. I don't think anybody would claim we're the best team in the world but we're a lot better than we were 4 years ago.

Enjoyed it all and looking forward to Saturday though expecting a tight and tense game. Still pleased Peter Crouch and Andy Carroll aren't in the squad and still will be whatever happens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 135
KingstonMariner
July 4, 2018, 11:13pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Agree Rodley. The team's playing better than i expected (but then i hardly know the players because I don't watch the premier league) and better than 2 and 4 years ago. And we've got the best chance of getting to the final for a very long time. Not because they're a great team, just because of the way the draw has panned out (fixed to give Russia the best chance too?).

But Swin is being his usual 'look at me I've got a different opinion self. And RRFC and Grim have joined him. Fair enough, England are not a great team, but give them some credit guys. Young squad with a young manager, all with great potential in the future. Yeah, we've been let down before, but FFS, smile you miserable fornicators!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 135
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 5, 2018, 10:08am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

No we weren't the best team in '66.

We were the most successful team in that particular tournament though. Portugal who had Euisebeo were a better footballing team than us, and Pele and Brazil got roughed up but they were a fantastic side as well. The best teams sometimes win a tournament if things go their way, but just often the winners are those that have been the most effective at winning the games as they come up. Mexico and France were nothing like they are today of course - both were pants in '66.

Oh yes we were! we started slow and got progressively better. We beat Argentina who were on a par with Brazil in those days. We beat Portugal comprehensively in the semi-final. Admittedly Norbert Stiles would be red carded today but we only made one mistake the whole game for their goal and both our goals came from sweeping moves of which we made many. Two years later, don’t forget, Man U comprehensively whopped Eusebio and Benfica.  It was not the best tournament for football, 1970 was better, but we were the best side regardless of home advantage. We had real quality players to spare in those days like George Eastham, Ron Flowers, Bill Foulkes and Greaves of course, who didn’t even make the side.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 135
14 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England v Colombia Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.