14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Grim74
July 4, 2018, 9:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Sorry but this is one of the worst England teams I have seen to have ever reached a World Cup, lets be totally honest we are not going to win the World Cup we couldn’t even must up a shot on target through open play during the first 90 mins against what Ian Wright described as a poor team. The worst thing for me is that if Sweden knock us out the quater finals we will take that as a minor success and tell Southgate to carry on with his bland cautious crap football.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 135
chipsandgravy
July 4, 2018, 9:48am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,586
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Grim74
Sorry but this is one of the worst England teams I have seen to have ever reached a World Cup, lets be totally honest we are not going to win the World Cup we couldn’t even must up a shot on target through open play during the first 90 mins against what Ian Wright described as a poor team. The worst thing for me is that if Sweden knock us out the quater finals we will take that as a minor success and tell Southgate to carry on with his bland cautious crap football.

I bet your a hoot at parties!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 135
GrimRob
July 4, 2018, 9:58am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Grim74

It's a cup, the clue's in the name. World Cup. The best team doesn't always win. In fact bland, cautious football frequently seems to be the way to go in these tournaments (Greece, Portugal etc). We probably weren't the best team in '66 either but we got over the line first.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 102 - 135
monkeyboy
July 4, 2018, 10:05am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Grim74

Im sorry but the last world cup we played in would take some beating for worse team, this one is a good team which could be great with a half decent midfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 135
chipsandgravy
July 4, 2018, 10:10am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,586
Gold Stars: 35
I'm not only enjoying this World Cup but enjoying watching this England team - the first time for a long time I may add.
To label them as "one of the worst world cup teams" is frankly comical and pathetic.
On the whole there a very young team still developing and to see the likes of Pickford, Trippier and Maguire to mention three step up to be key players has been brilliant.
I don't see it as bland football at all, true last night wasn't brilliant but it was a messy game.
We don't look good enough to win it if I am honest but for God's sake let's enjoy the ride.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 135
TownSNAFU5
July 4, 2018, 10:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,851
Gold Stars: 42
We are seeded to reach the final.  3 of the 4 teams in the other  half of the draw are better than us.  We can only do our best.  Teams evolve, change and hopefully improve.  Alli and probably Sterling can be replaced.

With captain Kane we always have a punchers chance.  6 goals from 6 shots on target.  Teams that have gone home have usually not had a proven scorer in form.  We do have.

The players have grown a lot after last night.

Colombia finished 1 point behind Argentina after 18 qualifying matches.  A Messi hat trick in the last game ensured that they just pipped Colombia.  We beat a good team, who were very dirty.  Our fans were outnumbered 6 to 1, so effectively, we won an away match in their back yard.

We should have some faith for the strong leadership, on and off the  pitch, new spirit and strong belief.  English football is looking exciting for the next 12 years or so.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 135
AndyDarloFC
July 4, 2018, 10:32am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Get the intercourse in.

Up the England.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 106 - 135
Les Brechin
July 4, 2018, 10:49am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,687
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Our fans were outnumbered 6 to 1, so effectively, we won an away match in their back yard.

Not sure if this was mentioned during the game but why did they have so many fans? It's not like it's just a quick trip down the road for them, or does Russia have a high Colombian population?

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 135
Grim74
July 4, 2018, 10:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
We are seeded to reach the final.  3 of the 4 teams in the other  half of the draw are better than us.  We can only do our best.  Teams evolve, change and hopefully improve.  Alli and probably Sterling can be replaced.

With captain Kane we always have a punchers chance.  6 goals from 6 shots on target.  Teams that have gone home have usually not had a proven scorer in form.  We do have.

The players have grown a lot after last night.

Colombia finished 1 point behind Argentina after 18 qualifying matches.  A Messi hat trick in the last game ensured that they just pipped Colombia.  We beat a good team, who were very dirty.  Our fans were outnumbered 6 to 1, so effectively, we won an away match in their back yard.

We should have some faith for the strong leadership, on and off the  pitch, new spirit and strong belief.  English football is looking exciting for the next 12 years or so.

Anyone over the age of 40 who says they have faith in an England football team is not being honest, I’m a realist and refuse to get carried away after having my England emotion virtually drained out of me over the years. it would take an awesome performance against Sweden playing like they did against Tunisia in the first twenty minutes before I jump on the believe wagon.

Don’t get me wrong I’m enjoying the feel good factor around the country I’ve got my England flags flying but I just don’t get the feeling that we could actually win, we have gone through with a flick of a coin we’ve had a lot of luck (due some to be fair) we had a lucky qualifier to get there we then had a lucky qualifying round with 1 pub team and Tunisia who were not much better. We then struggle to beat a poor team without there best player let’s be honest we were crap, France or Brazil would of annihilated us on that performance, I really hope we can step it up against the Swedes because on that performance we will be going out.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 135
Grim74
July 4, 2018, 11:01am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

It's a cup, the clue's in the name. World Cup. The best team doesn't always win. In fact bland, cautious football frequently seems to be the way to go in these tournaments (Greece, Portugal etc). We probably weren't the best team in '66 either but we got over the line first.

Greece, and Portugal were not the best team on paper but by winning the tournament they rightly became the best team at the respective tournaments, and from what I remember especially of Greece they were playing some great football. We finished top of the group stage unbeaten in 66, we beat Mexico France, knocked out Argentina and Portugal, and then beat the Germans and having watched the final I’d say convincingly, we won the World Cup because we were the best team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 135
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England v Colombia Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.