Barrattstander
June 18, 2018, 5:47pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from pizzzza
This is just turning into a list of players that 'returned' rather than players that did the biz when they came back.

I nominated Clive Wigginton yesterday because he certainly ‘did the biz’ when he returned to Town for £5k from Lincoln City in March 1979.

78/79...18 appearances....Town finish 2nd in Div 4 and promoted. (Added bonus Lincoln relegated from Div3)

79/80...44 appearances...Town champions of Div 3 and promoted.

80/81...40 appearances...Town finish 7th in Div 2.

I would love a returning player to have a similar impact again.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
PPMariner
June 18, 2018, 9:20pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 9
Oster, Townsend and have to agree with the Marcus Marshall call (we could still be non-league). Croft was ok, too.

"Associate yourself with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
grimsby pete
June 19, 2018, 2:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Tommy Briggs  I did not rate him but my dad said he was good,

Re Matt Tees he could leap like a gazelle the best header of a ball ever to play for Town,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
RonMariner
June 19, 2018, 3:50pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,671
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Ipswin

If you can get a copy of Matt Tees on Football beg steal (if you have to) or borrow a copy - tells of his life at Airdrie, Town, Charlton, Luton, Town again, Boston, great managers he played for and great players he played with.- a fantastic look at football in the 1960s and 1970s and a wonderful insight into a real Mariners hero

Wow! Didn't even know about that. Thanks!

Just been on Abe Books.com and ordered a copy £10 plus postage. There is another copy on sale there for anyone interested.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
RonMariner
June 19, 2018, 3:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,671
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from grimsby pete
Tommy Briggs  I did not rate him but my dad said he was good,

Re Matt Tees he could leap like a gazelle the best header of a ball ever to play for Town,

Yes, my Dad raved about Briggs. Didn't he score a hat trick for us at Old Trafford? Or maybe that was Billy Cairns.

But I was lucky enough to see Tees in 1971/72. Incredible player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
rancido
June 20, 2018, 5:49pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Ipswin

So many fantastic memories of Sir Matt (my lad is named after him)

The famous quote / story of course is Lawrie Mac's description of the first time he saw Matt in the dressing room. I'm afaid I can't remember it word for word but someone will post it herre I'm sure

His great header past Jim Standen in the League Cup against West Ham (Hurst, Peters and Moore et al) at BP - what a night that was!

A hat-trick against the Scunts in Lawrie Mac's first game in charge

If you can get a copy of Matt Tees on Football beg steal (if you have to) or borrow a copy - tells of his life at Airdrie, Town, Charlton, Luton, Town again, Boston, great managers he played for and great players he played with.- a fantastic look at football in the 1960s and 1970s and a wonderful insight into a real Mariners hero

Apparently Laurie Mac was being introduced to the players in the dressing room by the physio . He asked the physio who the skinny guy smoking a pipe in the corner was and he was told he was out star striker - that was Matt Tees.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
June 20, 2018, 6:55pm
Guest User
Quoted from rancido

Apparently Laurie Mac was being introduced to the players in the dressing room by the physio . He asked the physio who the skinny guy smoking a pipe in the corner was and he was told he was out star striker - that was Matt Tees.

...he'd taken his false teeth out and was wearing slippers (as it was conveyed to me).

#possibleembellishment
Reply: 26 - 27
Ipswin
June 20, 2018, 7:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from RonMariner

Wow! Didn't even know about that. Thanks!

Just been on Abe Books.com and ordered a copy £10 plus postage. There is another copy on sale there for anyone interested.  

Excellent - let us know what you think of it. My copy is signed by the great man himself or at least I think it is - Terry Hall got it for me so it might be Terry with the pen in his left hand!   I still haven't paid him for it!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Returning players that did the Biz

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.