3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
pizzzza
June 18, 2018, 9:25am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
This is just turning into a list of players that 'returned' rather than players that did the biz when they came back.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
The_Laughing_Mariner
June 18, 2018, 9:25am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,040
Gold Stars: 10
Marshall turned the semi final at Braintree when he came on

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 18, 2018, 9:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Barrattstander
Clive Wigginton.

Around the same times, Mike Czuczman?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
Ipswin
June 18, 2018, 10:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Marshall turned the semi final at Braintree when he came on

Agree with this plus Matt Tees of course, not a lot of 'biz;' done by the rest

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
AdamHaddock
June 18, 2018, 10:32am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,746
Gold Stars: 24
Croudson

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
1mickylyons
June 18, 2018, 11:56am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Matt Tees. Sadly before my time but one of my favourite stories non the less which my Grandad and his mates often told. By all accounts Town were struggling and gates around 2k at home they brought Tees back and he stuck 4k on the next home gate.The team Matt joined went on to win the league under Lawrie Mc in 72 and are arguably the most popular Town team to have graced Blundell Park. A 2nd Division side that puled in regular double figure gates with over 23k for the final game v Exeter.They reckon the Dockers used to chant Tees Tees Tees and stamp their clogs before kick off and it was deafening.Lawrie Mc used to stand in the tunnel and catch the opposition Manager and say to him can you hear that crowd your lads have got no chance.Matt Tees must have been just about everyone`s favourite Town player from that era judging by what you hear? I have had my own hero`s in the stripes but I sure do wish I had seen Tees play with that crowd.Any fans from era give us younger fans any snippets?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
RichMariner
June 18, 2018, 12:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Paul Groves

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
Ipswin
June 18, 2018, 12:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Matt Tees. Sadly before my time but one of my favourite stories non the less which my Grandad and his mates often told. By all accounts Town were struggling and gates around 2k at home they brought Tees back and he stuck 4k on the next home gate.The team Matt joined went on to win the league under Lawrie Mc in 72 and are arguably the most popular Town team to have graced Blundell Park. A 2nd Division side that puled in regular double figure gates with over 23k for the final game v Exeter.They reckon the Dockers used to chant Tees Tees Tees and stamp their clogs before kick off and it was deafening.Lawrie Mc used to stand in the tunnel and catch the opposition Manager and say to him can you hear that crowd your lads have got no chance.Matt Tees must have been just about everyone`s favourite Town player from that era judging by what you hear? I have had my own hero`s in the stripes but I sure do wish I had seen Tees play with that crowd.Any fans from era give us younger fans any snippets?

So many fantastic memories of Sir Matt (my lad is named after him)

The famous quote / story of course is Lawrie Mac's description of the first time he saw Matt in the dressing room. I'm afaid I can't remember it word for word but someone will post it herre I'm sure

His great header past Jim Standen in the League Cup against West Ham (Hurst, Peters and Moore et al) at BP - what a night that was!

A hat-trick against the Scunts in Lawrie Mac's first game in charge

If you can get a copy of Matt Tees on Football beg steal (if you have to) or borrow a copy - tells of his life at Airdrie, Town, Charlton, Luton, Town again, Boston, great managers he played for and great players he played with.- a fantastic look at football in the 1960s and 1970s and a wonderful insight into a real Mariners hero

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
barralad
June 18, 2018, 12:58pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The Town board at the time of his availability under FA Would had kittens at the thought of paying out the 5K asking price. I'm not entirely sure whether the fans contributed towards the fee but I THINK a local bookie called Mick McGarry contributed. Anyway he arrived. First game was a night match versus either Barrow or Cambridge and it was like the second coming. I think there were more in the ground that night than for either of that season's Lincs derbies. To put it into perspective the football that season could hardly have been described as unmissable. Town were in the bottom half of Division 4 so the only reason for such a boost must have been Sir Matt. Town won. The following Saturday there was another home game with another big crowd.. True the phenomenon didn't last long that season at least with only a remarkable late run keeping Town from applying for a second re-election in 3 years but set up 71/72 with the rest being history.
My favourite individual memory was a home game v Workington at the start of that great season. Town were one down when in about the 84th minute Tees went down in the box in front of the Pontoon looking like a potential assassination victim. The ref gave the penalty. Tees winked at the crowd as he got up. Job done.
I didn't understand the phrase "the ability to hang in the air" until I saw Tees play..quite simply the best header of a ball I've had the privilege to watch. Sadly he appears to be paying the price of that now...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
Dan
June 18, 2018, 2:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Nick Colgan

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Returning players that did the Biz

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.