Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: fleabag1970, June 17, 2018, 4:11pm
Groves , Tony Ford .....I'm struggling here . There must be more
Posted by: Belfast Town, June 17, 2018, 4:14pm; Reply: 1
Matt Tees
Posted by: jimgtfc, June 17, 2018, 4:28pm; Reply: 2
John Oster, Michael Boulding, Conor Townsend.
Posted by: Barrattstander, June 17, 2018, 4:29pm; Reply: 3
Clive Wigginton.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 17, 2018, 6:41pm; Reply: 4
Isaiah Rankin, Dean Sinclair and Andrew Wright
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 17, 2018, 6:43pm; Reply: 5

I take it we can rule out Wilko then   ;)
Posted by: LH, June 17, 2018, 7:06pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Abdul19
Isaiah Rankin, Dean Sinclair and Andrew Wright

Jamie Devitt, Marcus Marshall and Alan Connell.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 17, 2018, 8:06pm; Reply: 7
Don’t think Connell did it when he came back. Or were you being facetious?
Posted by: AdamHaddock, June 17, 2018, 9:40pm; Reply: 8
Croft. Boulding
Posted by: Madeleymariner, June 18, 2018, 9:04am; Reply: 9
Simon Ford
Posted by: pizzzza, June 18, 2018, 9:25am; Reply: 10
This is just turning into a list of players that 'returned' rather than players that did the biz when they came back.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, June 18, 2018, 9:25am; Reply: 11
Marshall turned the semi final at Braintree when he came on
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 18, 2018, 9:34am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Barrattstander
Clive Wigginton.

Around the same times, Mike Czuczman?
Posted by: Ipswin, June 18, 2018, 10:08am; Reply: 13
Marshall turned the semi final at Braintree when he came on

Agree with this plus Matt Tees of course, not a lot of 'biz;' done by the rest

Posted by: AdamHaddock, June 18, 2018, 10:32am; Reply: 14
Croudson
Posted by: 1mickylyons, June 18, 2018, 11:56am; Reply: 15
Matt Tees. Sadly before my time but one of my favourite stories non the less which my Grandad and his mates often told. By all accounts Town were struggling and gates around 2k at home they brought Tees back and he stuck 4k on the next home gate.The team Matt joined went on to win the league under Lawrie Mc in 72 and are arguably the most popular Town team to have graced Blundell Park. A 2nd Division side that puled in regular double figure gates with over 23k for the final game v Exeter.They reckon the Dockers used to chant Tees Tees Tees and stamp their clogs before kick off and it was deafening.Lawrie Mc used to stand in the tunnel and catch the opposition Manager and say to him can you hear that crowd your lads have got no chance.Matt Tees must have been just about everyone`s favourite Town player from that era judging by what you hear? I have had my own hero`s in the stripes but I sure do wish I had seen Tees play with that crowd.Any fans from era give us younger fans any snippets?
Posted by: RichMariner, June 18, 2018, 12:07pm; Reply: 16
Paul Groves
Posted by: Ipswin, June 18, 2018, 12:13pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Matt Tees. Sadly before my time but one of my favourite stories non the less which my Grandad and his mates often told. By all accounts Town were struggling and gates around 2k at home they brought Tees back and he stuck 4k on the next home gate.The team Matt joined went on to win the league under Lawrie Mc in 72 and are arguably the most popular Town team to have graced Blundell Park. A 2nd Division side that puled in regular double figure gates with over 23k for the final game v Exeter.They reckon the Dockers used to chant Tees Tees Tees and stamp their clogs before kick off and it was deafening.Lawrie Mc used to stand in the tunnel and catch the opposition Manager and say to him can you hear that crowd your lads have got no chance.Matt Tees must have been just about everyone`s favourite Town player from that era judging by what you hear? I have had my own hero`s in the stripes but I sure do wish I had seen Tees play with that crowd.Any fans from era give us younger fans any snippets?

So many fantastic memories of Sir Matt (my lad is named after him)

The famous quote / story of course is Lawrie Mac's description of the first time he saw Matt in the dressing room. I'm afaid I can't remember it word for word but someone will post it herre I'm sure

His great header past Jim Standen in the League Cup against West Ham (Hurst, Peters and Moore et al) at BP - what a night that was!

A hat-trick against the Scunts in Lawrie Mac's first game in charge

If you can get a copy of Matt Tees on Football beg steal (if you have to) or borrow a copy - tells of his life at Airdrie, Town, Charlton, Luton, Town again, Boston, great managers he played for and great players he played with.- a fantastic look at football in the 1960s and 1970s and a wonderful insight into a real Mariners hero
Posted by: barralad, June 18, 2018, 12:58pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The Town board at the time of his availability under FA Would had kittens at the thought of paying out the 5K asking price. I'm not entirely sure whether the fans contributed towards the fee but I THINK a local bookie called Mick McGarry contributed. Anyway he arrived. First game was a night match versus either Barrow or Cambridge and it was like the second coming. I think there were more in the ground that night than for either of that season's Lincs derbies. To put it into perspective the football that season could hardly have been described as unmissable. Town were in the bottom half of Division 4 so the only reason for such a boost must have been Sir Matt. Town won. The following Saturday there was another home game with another big crowd.. True the phenomenon didn't last long that season at least with only a remarkable late run keeping Town from applying for a second re-election in 3 years but set up 71/72 with the rest being history.
My favourite individual memory was a home game v Workington at the start of that great season. Town were one down when in about the 84th minute Tees went down in the box in front of the Pontoon looking like a potential assassination victim. The ref gave the penalty. Tees winked at the crowd as he got up. Job done.
I didn't understand the phrase "the ability to hang in the air" until I saw Tees play..quite simply the best header of a ball I've had the privilege to watch. Sadly he appears to be paying the price of that now...
Posted by: Dan, June 18, 2018, 2:19pm; Reply: 19
Nick Colgan
Posted by: Barrattstander, June 18, 2018, 5:47pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from pizzzza
This is just turning into a list of players that 'returned' rather than players that did the biz when they came back.

I nominated Clive Wigginton yesterday because he certainly ‘did the biz’ when he returned to Town for £5k from Lincoln City in March 1979.

78/79...18 appearances....Town finish 2nd in Div 4 and promoted. (Added bonus Lincoln relegated from Div3)

79/80...44 appearances...Town champions of Div 3 and promoted.

80/81...40 appearances...Town finish 7th in Div 2.

I would love a returning player to have a similar impact again.

Posted by: PPMariner, June 18, 2018, 9:20pm; Reply: 21
Oster, Townsend and have to agree with the Marcus Marshall call (we could still be non-league). Croft was ok, too.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 19, 2018, 2:45pm; Reply: 22
Tommy Briggs  I did not rate him but my dad said he was good,

Re Matt Tees he could leap like a gazelle the best header of a ball ever to play for Town,
Posted by: RonMariner, June 19, 2018, 3:50pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Ipswin

If you can get a copy of Matt Tees on Football beg steal (if you have to) or borrow a copy - tells of his life at Airdrie, Town, Charlton, Luton, Town again, Boston, great managers he played for and great players he played with.- a fantastic look at football in the 1960s and 1970s and a wonderful insight into a real Mariners hero

Wow! Didn't even know about that. Thanks!

Just been on Abe Books.com and ordered a copy £10 plus postage. There is another copy on sale there for anyone interested.  
Posted by: RonMariner, June 19, 2018, 3:52pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from grimsby pete
Tommy Briggs  I did not rate him but my dad said he was good,

Re Matt Tees he could leap like a gazelle the best header of a ball ever to play for Town,

Yes, my Dad raved about Briggs. Didn't he score a hat trick for us at Old Trafford? Or maybe that was Billy Cairns.

But I was lucky enough to see Tees in 1971/72. Incredible player.
Posted by: rancido, June 20, 2018, 5:49pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Ipswin

So many fantastic memories of Sir Matt (my lad is named after him)

The famous quote / story of course is Lawrie Mac's description of the first time he saw Matt in the dressing room. I'm afaid I can't remember it word for word but someone will post it herre I'm sure

His great header past Jim Standen in the League Cup against West Ham (Hurst, Peters and Moore et al) at BP - what a night that was!

A hat-trick against the Scunts in Lawrie Mac's first game in charge

Apparently Laurie Mac was being introduced to the players in the dressing room by the physio . He asked the physio who the skinny guy smoking a pipe in the corner was and he was told he was out star striker - that was Matt Tees.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), June 20, 2018, 6:55pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from rancido

Apparently Laurie Mac was being introduced to the players in the dressing room by the physio . He asked the physio who the skinny guy smoking a pipe in the corner was and he was told he was out star striker - that was Matt Tees.

...he'd taken his false teeth out and was wearing slippers (as it was conveyed to me).

#possibleembellishment
Posted by: Ipswin, June 20, 2018, 7:30pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from RonMariner

Wow! Didn't even know about that. Thanks!

Just been on Abe Books.com and ordered a copy £10 plus postage. There is another copy on sale there for anyone interested.  

Excellent - let us know what you think of it. My copy is signed by the great man himself or at least I think it is - Terry Hall got it for me so it might be Terry with the pen in his left hand!  :) I still haven't paid him for it!

Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 9:06pm