6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
mimma
May 29, 2018, 2:32am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
I was at that cup game where Whymark returned but went off injured. We were in one corner of the stand behind the goal. 8,000 Town fans there that day, and yes we lost 2 - 0.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
Cloudy
May 29, 2018, 7:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Remember going to Portman Road in the 1980's. Think it was a night match? They needed a win to clinch promotion under George Burley(?) but Town ground out a 0-0 draw to put their celebrations on ice
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
1mickylyons
May 29, 2018, 7:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
I went to an FA Cup game probably early 90s we took 3-4k and lost 4-0 I think a Bulgarian scored a hat trick for them on debut?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
May 29, 2018, 7:46am
Guest User
Quoted from promotion plaice

Went to see Town play in the cup at Portman Road in the 80's I think, we lost ....year score anyone  ðŸ˜€

Seem to remember it was 4-0, played em in the league no end of times. Usually lost there, and spanked them at home. Similar with Charlton, had some hidings there and dished some out at home. Seem to remember Clive scoring at Ipswich.
Reply: 23 - 50
diehardmariner
May 29, 2018, 8:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,601
Gold Stars: 538
Hurst to Ipswich would be very interesting, especially as the Ipswich fans were so keen to get rid of Mick McCarthy because of his dull and predictable style of play.

Yes, Hurst ticks a lot of boxes (an awful lot in fact) for them.  Whilst he was here we were a big fish in a small pond and had a budget that reflected our position, there or thereabouts, in the league every season.  Whereas at Shrewsbury he proved he can do it on a comparative budget too, which is what he's likely to be required to do at Ipswich.  

Again though, it's that predictability with him. Regardless of the fact they've ultimately come up short at the end, Hurst has worked wonders at Shrewsbury but every time I saw them it was the same predictability that frustrated so many when he was here.  That endless floated ball from the back to the target man despite having an abundance of creative talent on the pitch, the predictable substitutions, the flogging of key players all season in every cup going which ultimately left players dead in the final sprint....

If/When he goes, I fully expect he'll want to take Henderson there too.  But that will depend on what Bartosz Bialkowski does, he hasn't signed his new contract yet and with only a year to run it looks like he's got a few suitors lining him up.  If Bialkowski stays, I can't see Henderson wanting to go as back up.  A fee of £1million is what has been banded about for Henderson (on the assumption he doesn't sign a new deal with Man Utd), I'm not sure Ipswich will have that type of money anyway.

Nolan has been touted as a £5million plus player, now I don't think for a second think he'll go for anywhere near that figure but he'll be out of Ipswich's spending reach.  Toto is probably the most likely to go there, Hurst loves him and he's had a really good season at the top end of League One.  Is The Championship a step too far for him?  Only one way to find out I guess.

Can't see Rodman or LJL stepping up another level.  Rodman's had a decent season but LJL has hardly played.  Rodman lacks a yard of pace to play at a higher level in my opinion.

Ipswich are a decent, well organised outfit which will probably appeal to Hurst as something solid to build on.  If he gets a remotely decent budget to work with he could surprise a few more people with them, but as he goes up the levels his pool of favoured players will get smaller and smaller.  His success is built on spirit and togetherness, which I like and badly missed here when he left.  I do wonder how effective that can be at a higher level when the egos are bigger.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
Garth
May 29, 2018, 8:36am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Apparently Hurst was tapped up some time ago by Ipswich according to their forum, Shrewsbury chairman disappointed in Hurst, Doig not had a sniff so far, and Toto, Nolan and Henderson will follow
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
golfer
May 29, 2018, 8:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Spidey

I've got the programme of that somewhere, Keith Deller the darts player on the front cover. My mum and dad's milkman got me it, when he went, think his name was Dave. Was it you? Most likely he's dead now. Poor Dave!

I think I might be able to help you there if you let me know your full name,address and bank details. Promise not to pass these on.P.S.  Do you have a dog and will you be at home this weekend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
ROKERITE
May 29, 2018, 10:00am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
If I was an Ipswich Town fan I'd be very disappointed. It will be particularly galling for them when Jack Ross, who was linked strongly with the job, does so well at Sunderland.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
1mickylyons
May 29, 2018, 10:11am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
PH did better with Shrewsbury in a short space of time than many thought including me but his strengths are also his weakness especially in big games.He will get Ipswich organised and top half but he will be coming up against far better players more often if he does well at Ipswich fair play to him.Personally have my doubts and see him a lower league Manager but make no mistake the guys earned this job through his time with GY and Shrews.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
Ipswin
May 29, 2018, 10:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from sydney
Went when crofty played for them and he played with a police tag on his leg
Town Fans (plenty of us) sang
Croftys got more points than us
Great Day but lost by 2 or 3

I remember singing to Croft

'Home in a taxi, you're going home in a taxi'

One of only 5 times I've been in Portman Road in 40 years

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ipswich

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.