Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst or Michael Jolley
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 301 Guests

Who would you rather have in charge on our club?
Paul Hurst
Michael Jolley
  View Results 112 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Paul Hurst or Michael Jolley

This thread currently has 5,331 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
April 29, 2018, 1:04pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Who would you rather have as manager?

I know many people didn't like Hurst, particularly after his antics at Wembley but it can't be denied he was a very good manager for us.

I was thinking last night, would Hurst have had the impact that MJ has had? Would he have been able to turn around our fortunes in such a short space of time and get the fans/players on board and fighting for the cause? I know he performed a magnificent turnaround at Shrews last season, but he was afforded a full January transfer window. Given the same circumstances as we've had, would he have had the same success and saved them from the drop? I'm not so sure.

So, taking into account management style, tactical nous, man management etc etc only and not some of the bad-blood we experienced with PH, Who would you rather have as GTFC manager?

This isn't meant to destabilise or spread negativity after our fantastic revival, I'm just interested in people's opinions pure and simple.

#UTM 😎

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
April 29, 2018, 1:08pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

Too early to say for me.....MJ has done a fantastic job but let's see where we are next season.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
Les Brechin
April 29, 2018, 1:29pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
A bit too early for this poll for me.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
Gaffer58
April 29, 2018, 2:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Well it's not too early to judge Hurst?, personally l though his record, and don't forget the majority was in non league, was about average, we didn't have spells when we were top of the league. I know it was said his budgets were about 5/6 for the league but basically that is were we finished. Always thought he was too negative, would come on the radio pre game saying how strong the opposition were(Woking, Altringham etc) gave the impression we were more worried about them than  us.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
KingstonMariner
April 29, 2018, 2:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Too early to tell, but MJ is more confidence inspiring for me. Where that will go remains to be seen.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
Perkins
April 29, 2018, 2:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Pointless poll, Jolley is our manager, Hurst isn't and not likely to be again so it's irrelevant.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
wigworld
April 29, 2018, 2:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
As has been said already, too early to say.

But if yesterday was anything to go by, the football will be more exciting under Jolley than it was under Hurst.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 30
Badger57
April 29, 2018, 2:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
Couldn't stand Hurst and his negativity. Hurst was never Town, Jolley already is. 'nuff said.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
AussieMariner
April 29, 2018, 2:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Risk averse vs risk manager for me.
Interesting article last week (think it was the Independent and mentioned on here) about how Jolley applies risk management principles to his decision making in football.
It appears to me that he works out the outcome he wants and then makes decisions that have the best odds of achieving it - a good example was yesterday when he withdrew the Osborne substitution as soon as they scored, and brought on Jackson instead. This makes him pro-active and positive where I always felt Hurst was more re-active and negative.
Pretty sure that Hurst would have had Osborne or another defender on for an attacking player after 70 mins or earlier.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
golfer
April 29, 2018, 4:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
I picked Hurst because of his experience but having read the replies on here which reminded me of certain things-can I change my vote please.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
AussieMariner
April 29, 2018, 4:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from AussieMariner
Risk averse vs risk manager for me.
Interesting article last week (think it was the Independent and mentioned on here) about how Jolley applies risk management principles to his decision making in football.
It appears to me that he works out the outcome he wants and then makes decisions that have the best odds of achieving it - a good example was yesterday when he withdrew the Osborne substitution as soon as they scored, and brought on Jackson instead. This makes him pro-active and positive where I always felt Hurst was more re-active and negative.
Pretty sure that Hurst would have had Osborne or another defender on for an attacking player after 70 mins or earlier.

I should add that I always supported Hurst but probably on the basis of ‘better the devil you know’ and that he would provide stability.
Jolley is a different animal altogether and under him there is a real prospect of progress both on and off the field. I know some will say it’s premature to make that call, but just look at the difference in atmosphere around the place in 2 short, high pressure months.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
grimps
April 29, 2018, 4:20pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,120
Gold Stars: 46
Hurst could make a team full of talented players look awful , Jolley has made a team full of no hopers look good so far .
Hurst also lost most of our must win games were Jolly seems to have won many of his with a team full of under dogs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
MeanwoodMariner
April 29, 2018, 4:48pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I was always a Hurst fan and still think his achievement of 4 consecutive top 4 finishes is under appreciated. However, it's Jolley by a mile for me. He's done absolutely everything right since he came in, has the perfect attitude and I can't wait to see what he does next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
Paris Mariner
April 29, 2018, 4:54pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Pointless poll. Jolley is in charge, Hurst left.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 30
grimsbybrown
April 29, 2018, 5:10pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 2
Interesting question - and I think we’d all like to feel we now have the best manager of the two - but until we’ve seen Jolley’s ability to recruit players and come through the ups and downs of a long season it’s too early to call..

That said, I can’t imagine MJ cupping his ears at the fans whatever the provocation - that moment suggested to me Paul Hurst had his limitations - it would have been far classier to rise above everything - the writing was on the wall for me as soon as that had happened.

So, ask again this time next year!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
cmackenzie4
April 29, 2018, 5:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Jolley - I’ve got a good feeling about him, I couldn't see Hurst coming in and changing the team around as quick as what Jolley has, Jolley has got this team believing and brought out the best in them in a matter of weeks, no brainer for me.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
OllieGTFC
April 29, 2018, 6:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Ask me this time next season

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
April 29, 2018, 7:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Ask me this time next season

There is no fun in that - we will all know by then!
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
acko338
April 29, 2018, 7:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
I want the hairs on the back of my neck to rise in anticipation of new signings next year.

Let's get Jolley signed up and see who he has on his wanted list.

It could be ground level football next year and I can see Clifton being an early pick every game.

His merry band of under performing players must have listened, taken notice, and acted professionally to keep us in this league. He may even ferl that he can get more out of the fringe players - Fox being deserving of a deal next year, and Clifton being given a run in midfield.

Younger , more solid, defense next year, please, and forwards who can find the net.

I wonder if any fringe players will get a run out or he will try to go out with a win?

Plenty of scope with so many loan players going back - will any be freed and will any be in his sights for next season?

Good feeling to be looking forward to next season already !
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
chaos33
April 29, 2018, 7:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Daddy or chips?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
GrimRob
April 29, 2018, 8:04pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Need to see jolleys record in the transfer market. Hurst was not a great tactician but was brilliant at getting quality players. Maybe Jolley is the other way round, we don't know yet.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 30
Mrs Doyle
April 29, 2018, 8:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Pointless exercise only time will tell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
jamesgtfc
April 29, 2018, 9:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Totally different circumstances.  Hurst came with Scott when we were comfortably mid-table and had a mid-table finish themselves before we consistently made the play-offs.  We effectively stumbled across Hurst by accident when Rob Scott was fired but we were still looking like making the play-offs again.  Meanwhile Jolley joined with the club having not won a game for 4 months and almost certainly heading for relegation.  Most agreed that it would be a miracle if we survived.  Hurst proved at Shrewsbury last season that he can handle a relegation battle but he had much longer than Jolley and a transfer window to help him.

Both appear ambitious and want to manage as high as possible and both pay great attention to detail.  Hurst respects the opposition and focuses on nullifying their strengths.  My initial observation of Jolley is that he respects the opposition but focuses on how best to exploit their weaknesses.  Blundell Park has become a fortress again whilst under Hurst our away form was usually better than our home form.

Hurst seemed to have one rigid way of playing and although hard to beat, we often struggled to break teams down.  His substitutions were generally like for like and predictable whereas Jolley is not afraid to take risks.  Yesterday at 1-1 being a prime example as I feel Hurst would have continued with the Osborne substitution.

We had a great team spirit under Hurst and it appears the same under Jolley.  Players are celebrating as a team, encouraging each other through the game and not arguing like earlier in the season.  Many players moved to the area under Hurst and it appears Jolley wishes for the same except he is leading by example and Hurst did not.

Both are highly qualified coaches but Hurst has been around much longer to prove his success at identifying and developing players (Hearn, Pearson, Macca, Bogle).  Jolley will ultimately be judged on this but he has certainly coached something into this team the last two months.  Fox was eager to come work for Jolley again (you could argue he just wanted a wage but his performances suggest otherwise).  Based on Fox I think he will be as good as, if not better than Hurst at player identification.  Both are respected in the game and this goes a long way when negotiating signings with clubs.  That said, I don't expect Aston Villa to be a club we will be approaching this summer.

Hurst was never popular with the supporters but Jolley has been from day one.  He speaks concise in a language we all understand.   You actually believe that his programme notes is actually his writing and he has praised the supporters from day one.  He is very clever and probably realises if he has the supporters on his side, they won't turn on him when the going gets tough.

I was never one who thought Hurst should go; but I did think supporter pressure would force him out if we did not get promoted in 2016.  The National League is the toughest league to get out of and our budget down there was not as good as most people think.

I am not voting in this poll because the circumstances are totally different and part of me thinks I would be saying Jolley because of yesterday but I genuinely think next season will be successful with some football fortune along the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
MarinerWY
April 29, 2018, 9:37pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
This is a bit of a pointless thread. Both very good managers on their record with other teams and ourselves, both very different styles in different contexts of their respective tenures. I rate them both.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
April 29, 2018, 10:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Totally different circumstances.  Hurst came with Scott when we were comfortably mid-table and had a mid-table finish themselves before we consistently made the play-offs.  We effectively stumbled across Hurst by accident when Rob Scott was fired but we were still looking like making the play-offs again.  Meanwhile Jolley joined with the club having not won a game for 4 months and almost certainly heading for relegation.  Most agreed that it would be a miracle if we survived.  Hurst proved at Shrewsbury last season that he can handle a relegation battle but he had much longer than Jolley and a transfer window to help him.

Both appear ambitious and want to manage as high as possible and both pay great attention to detail.  Hurst respects the opposition and focuses on nullifying their strengths.  My initial observation of Jolley is that he respects the opposition but focuses on how best to exploit their weaknesses.  Blundell Park has become a fortress again whilst under Hurst our away form was usually better than our home form.

Hurst seemed to have one rigid way of playing and although hard to beat, we often struggled to break teams down.  His substitutions were generally like for like and predictable whereas Jolley is not afraid to take risks.  Yesterday at 1-1 being a prime example as I feel Hurst would have continued with the Osborne substitution.

We had a great team spirit under Hurst and it appears the same under Jolley.  Players are celebrating as a team, encouraging each other through the game and not arguing like earlier in the season.  Many players moved to the area under Hurst and it appears Jolley wishes for the same except he is leading by example and Hurst did not.

Both are highly qualified coaches but Hurst has been around much longer to prove his success at identifying and developing players (Hearn, Pearson, Macca, Bogle).  Jolley will ultimately be judged on this but he has certainly coached something into this team the last two months.  Fox was eager to come work for Jolley again (you could argue he just wanted a wage but his performances suggest otherwise).  Based on Fox I think he will be as good as, if not better than Hurst at player identification.  Both are respected in the game and this goes a long way when negotiating signings with clubs.  That said, I don't expect Aston Villa to be a club we will be approaching this summer.

Hurst was never popular with the supporters but Jolley has been from day one.  He speaks concise in a language we all understand.   You actually believe that his programme notes is actually his writing and he has praised the supporters from day one.  He is very clever and probably realises if he has the supporters on his side, they won't turn on him when the going gets tough.

I was never one who thought Hurst should go; but I did think supporter pressure would force him out if we did not get promoted in 2016.  The National League is the toughest league to get out of and our budget down there was not as good as most people think.

I am not voting in this poll because the circumstances are totally different and part of me thinks I would be saying Jolley because of yesterday but I genuinely think next season will be successful with some football fortune along the way.

A very good and thoughtful post is that.

I liked Hurst despite his obvious faults and would have continued to back him had he stayed, because one of my main worries was the ability of the board to get a decent replacement. Bignot was a disaster as it turned out and Slade went downhill after a decent start.

Jolley seems to be the best thing that has happened to GTFC in years, and I hope the club back him to the hilt to really get us moving. Why so many  managers seem to want to alienate fans is beyond me; even Alan Buckley had a reputation for a being a bit aloof (yet he was great with  people in private) and as you say Jolley has realised that if you get the fans onside from the off, it is a whole lot easier.

The only slight proviso is that I remember Mike Newell saying good things about the club and the fans, but he couldn't back it up with anything concrete, so I hope that Jolley will be the real deal.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
April 29, 2018, 10:07pm
Guest User
Couldn’t stand the moaning Yorky
Reply: 25 - 30
jamesgtfc
April 29, 2018, 10:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190

A very good and thoughtful post is that.

I liked Hurst despite his obvious faults and would have continued to back him had he stayed, because one of my main worries was the ability of the board to get a decent replacement. Bignot was a disaster as it turned out and Slade went downhill after a decent start.

Jolley seems to be the best thing that has happened to GTFC in years, and I hope the club back him to the hilt to really get us moving. Why so many  managers seem to want to alienate fans is beyond me; even Alan Buckley had a reputation for a being a bit aloof (yet he was great with  people in private) and as you say Jolley has realised that if you get the fans onside from the off, it is a whole lot easier.

The only slight proviso is that I remember Mike Newell saying good things about the club and the fans, but he couldn't back it up with anything concrete, so I hope that Jolley will be the real deal.

Thanks.  Given that Newell would probably have celebrated last night drinking McMennemy's dry, only to leave when Fenty pulled his tie whilst Jolley couldn't wait to go home and have a cup of tea with his wife so I think that can safely put that comparison to bed!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
diehardmariner
April 30, 2018, 8:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 538
As many have said, impossible to judge until Jolley has had a fair crack with his own players (not just two free agents he managed to bring in before the deadline).

Jolley has worked a miracle here in two months, but judgement has to be made over a longer period of time.  Hurst is no longer our manager and we need to move on from this obsession with him.  He got us back in the Football League, some liked him and some didn't.  That's it, look forwards not back.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
BackHeelTony
April 30, 2018, 9:14am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +325
Gold Stars: 1
Too early to judge Jolley but if he turns out to be as good as Hurst I don't think we'll be worrying about relegation next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 30, 2018, 10:06am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Much too early to say. After 6 games a lot of us thought Bignot was an OK manager.

Ask us again at Christmas.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
Doubled
April 30, 2018, 10:35am
season ticket holder
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +43
Where is the Bignot  option?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst or Michael Jolley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.