Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst or Michael Jolley
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 205 Guests

Who would you rather have in charge on our club?
Paul Hurst
Michael Jolley
  View Results 112 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Paul Hurst or Michael Jolley

This thread currently has 5,318 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
April 29, 2018, 8:04pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Need to see jolleys record in the transfer market. Hurst was not a great tactician but was brilliant at getting quality players. Maybe Jolley is the other way round, we don't know yet.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 30
Mrs Doyle
April 29, 2018, 8:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Pointless exercise only time will tell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
jamesgtfc
April 29, 2018, 9:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Totally different circumstances.  Hurst came with Scott when we were comfortably mid-table and had a mid-table finish themselves before we consistently made the play-offs.  We effectively stumbled across Hurst by accident when Rob Scott was fired but we were still looking like making the play-offs again.  Meanwhile Jolley joined with the club having not won a game for 4 months and almost certainly heading for relegation.  Most agreed that it would be a miracle if we survived.  Hurst proved at Shrewsbury last season that he can handle a relegation battle but he had much longer than Jolley and a transfer window to help him.

Both appear ambitious and want to manage as high as possible and both pay great attention to detail.  Hurst respects the opposition and focuses on nullifying their strengths.  My initial observation of Jolley is that he respects the opposition but focuses on how best to exploit their weaknesses.  Blundell Park has become a fortress again whilst under Hurst our away form was usually better than our home form.

Hurst seemed to have one rigid way of playing and although hard to beat, we often struggled to break teams down.  His substitutions were generally like for like and predictable whereas Jolley is not afraid to take risks.  Yesterday at 1-1 being a prime example as I feel Hurst would have continued with the Osborne substitution.

We had a great team spirit under Hurst and it appears the same under Jolley.  Players are celebrating as a team, encouraging each other through the game and not arguing like earlier in the season.  Many players moved to the area under Hurst and it appears Jolley wishes for the same except he is leading by example and Hurst did not.

Both are highly qualified coaches but Hurst has been around much longer to prove his success at identifying and developing players (Hearn, Pearson, Macca, Bogle).  Jolley will ultimately be judged on this but he has certainly coached something into this team the last two months.  Fox was eager to come work for Jolley again (you could argue he just wanted a wage but his performances suggest otherwise).  Based on Fox I think he will be as good as, if not better than Hurst at player identification.  Both are respected in the game and this goes a long way when negotiating signings with clubs.  That said, I don't expect Aston Villa to be a club we will be approaching this summer.

Hurst was never popular with the supporters but Jolley has been from day one.  He speaks concise in a language we all understand.   You actually believe that his programme notes is actually his writing and he has praised the supporters from day one.  He is very clever and probably realises if he has the supporters on his side, they won't turn on him when the going gets tough.

I was never one who thought Hurst should go; but I did think supporter pressure would force him out if we did not get promoted in 2016.  The National League is the toughest league to get out of and our budget down there was not as good as most people think.

I am not voting in this poll because the circumstances are totally different and part of me thinks I would be saying Jolley because of yesterday but I genuinely think next season will be successful with some football fortune along the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
MarinerWY
April 29, 2018, 9:37pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,980
Gold Stars: 47
This is a bit of a pointless thread. Both very good managers on their record with other teams and ourselves, both very different styles in different contexts of their respective tenures. I rate them both.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
April 29, 2018, 10:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Totally different circumstances.  Hurst came with Scott when we were comfortably mid-table and had a mid-table finish themselves before we consistently made the play-offs.  We effectively stumbled across Hurst by accident when Rob Scott was fired but we were still looking like making the play-offs again.  Meanwhile Jolley joined with the club having not won a game for 4 months and almost certainly heading for relegation.  Most agreed that it would be a miracle if we survived.  Hurst proved at Shrewsbury last season that he can handle a relegation battle but he had much longer than Jolley and a transfer window to help him.

Both appear ambitious and want to manage as high as possible and both pay great attention to detail.  Hurst respects the opposition and focuses on nullifying their strengths.  My initial observation of Jolley is that he respects the opposition but focuses on how best to exploit their weaknesses.  Blundell Park has become a fortress again whilst under Hurst our away form was usually better than our home form.

Hurst seemed to have one rigid way of playing and although hard to beat, we often struggled to break teams down.  His substitutions were generally like for like and predictable whereas Jolley is not afraid to take risks.  Yesterday at 1-1 being a prime example as I feel Hurst would have continued with the Osborne substitution.

We had a great team spirit under Hurst and it appears the same under Jolley.  Players are celebrating as a team, encouraging each other through the game and not arguing like earlier in the season.  Many players moved to the area under Hurst and it appears Jolley wishes for the same except he is leading by example and Hurst did not.

Both are highly qualified coaches but Hurst has been around much longer to prove his success at identifying and developing players (Hearn, Pearson, Macca, Bogle).  Jolley will ultimately be judged on this but he has certainly coached something into this team the last two months.  Fox was eager to come work for Jolley again (you could argue he just wanted a wage but his performances suggest otherwise).  Based on Fox I think he will be as good as, if not better than Hurst at player identification.  Both are respected in the game and this goes a long way when negotiating signings with clubs.  That said, I don't expect Aston Villa to be a club we will be approaching this summer.

Hurst was never popular with the supporters but Jolley has been from day one.  He speaks concise in a language we all understand.   You actually believe that his programme notes is actually his writing and he has praised the supporters from day one.  He is very clever and probably realises if he has the supporters on his side, they won't turn on him when the going gets tough.

I was never one who thought Hurst should go; but I did think supporter pressure would force him out if we did not get promoted in 2016.  The National League is the toughest league to get out of and our budget down there was not as good as most people think.

I am not voting in this poll because the circumstances are totally different and part of me thinks I would be saying Jolley because of yesterday but I genuinely think next season will be successful with some football fortune along the way.

A very good and thoughtful post is that.

I liked Hurst despite his obvious faults and would have continued to back him had he stayed, because one of my main worries was the ability of the board to get a decent replacement. Bignot was a disaster as it turned out and Slade went downhill after a decent start.

Jolley seems to be the best thing that has happened to GTFC in years, and I hope the club back him to the hilt to really get us moving. Why so many  managers seem to want to alienate fans is beyond me; even Alan Buckley had a reputation for a being a bit aloof (yet he was great with  people in private) and as you say Jolley has realised that if you get the fans onside from the off, it is a whole lot easier.

The only slight proviso is that I remember Mike Newell saying good things about the club and the fans, but he couldn't back it up with anything concrete, so I hope that Jolley will be the real deal.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
April 29, 2018, 10:07pm
Guest User
Couldn’t stand the moaning Yorky
Reply: 25 - 30
jamesgtfc
April 29, 2018, 10:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190

A very good and thoughtful post is that.

I liked Hurst despite his obvious faults and would have continued to back him had he stayed, because one of my main worries was the ability of the board to get a decent replacement. Bignot was a disaster as it turned out and Slade went downhill after a decent start.

Jolley seems to be the best thing that has happened to GTFC in years, and I hope the club back him to the hilt to really get us moving. Why so many  managers seem to want to alienate fans is beyond me; even Alan Buckley had a reputation for a being a bit aloof (yet he was great with  people in private) and as you say Jolley has realised that if you get the fans onside from the off, it is a whole lot easier.

The only slight proviso is that I remember Mike Newell saying good things about the club and the fans, but he couldn't back it up with anything concrete, so I hope that Jolley will be the real deal.

Thanks.  Given that Newell would probably have celebrated last night drinking McMennemy's dry, only to leave when Fenty pulled his tie whilst Jolley couldn't wait to go home and have a cup of tea with his wife so I think that can safely put that comparison to bed!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
diehardmariner
April 30, 2018, 8:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,406
Gold Stars: 532
As many have said, impossible to judge until Jolley has had a fair crack with his own players (not just two free agents he managed to bring in before the deadline).

Jolley has worked a miracle here in two months, but judgement has to be made over a longer period of time.  Hurst is no longer our manager and we need to move on from this obsession with him.  He got us back in the Football League, some liked him and some didn't.  That's it, look forwards not back.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
BackHeelTony
April 30, 2018, 9:14am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +325
Gold Stars: 1
Too early to judge Jolley but if he turns out to be as good as Hurst I don't think we'll be worrying about relegation next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 30, 2018, 10:06am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Much too early to say. After 6 games a lot of us thought Bignot was an OK manager.

Ask us again at Christmas.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst or Michael Jolley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.